50 RPGs per Hour: What The Hell Is This Thing?

Tagaziel

Panzerkatze
Orderite
Welcome to 50 RPGs per Hour. This project has been set up by me and TorontRayne to create an NMA "required gaming" list of cRPGs. As you can probably tell by the name, it will be composed of games submitted by regulars of No Mutants Allowed.

We're accepting submissions from all forum members. The final list will be voted on by the community. I'm sure I don't have to mention that, but remember the classics from ancient times.

You can find the submission format here.

Good luck!

P.S.: If you want to post your own version of an existing entry, do it. But for the love of M'Atra, please don't force us to review one hundred Wasteland 1 entries.

I don't we should strictly limit this to cRPG's. I'm not sure we could find 100 cRPG's worth listing tbh, and if we leave out the console titles we will be missing out on a lot of good games. I think we should leave it open, especially since we hardly have any submissions thus far. The handhelds and consoles have quite a few great RPG's that you can't play on the pc, so it wouldn't be right to leave them out. Just my two cents.

Anyway, this is mainly for a bump, feel free to discuss anything related to RPG's or the project. A few games I am considering playing and submitting right now:

Anachronox - Very unique RPG built with the Quake 2 engine.

Vagrant Story - Amazing dungeon crawler jRPG with comic book style dialog. The combat in this game is pretty original for the time.

Tactics Ogre - One of the best tactical RPG's around.

Fallout 2 - It's really a given but someone has to write it. If no one else does I will. You might argue that Fallout 1 is better but I disagree. Flame away. :wink:

Shadowrun SNES/Genesis - Two completely different RPG's. Both are awesome. One is more combat focused while the other uses an interesting dialog system.

Planescape:Torment - I have never played it, for that I am ashamed, but I will soon fix that.

Dink Smallwood - Anyone ever heard of this one? It was pretty fun action RPG at the time since you could create your own quests and it had such a quirky sense of humor.

I haven't decided on which to start with. Probably Anachronox since I've heard such rave reviews. I'll save Planscape for afterwards. Of course I may change my mind by the time I finish writing this...

Well, what do you think?

Just to keep it tidy. Here were some points already brought up.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62390&start=0

Yeah, everyone knows Troika and BIS games will be on the list, so nobody wants to write about them :D I'll limit myself to the one I know reeeally well and already submitted, I feel like a plenty of people here at NMA know those other games way better than I do.

Just to clarify though, are we talking classics only, or simply top 100 games? There are a handful of newer games I love to bits that I think have great mechanics etc., but I don't want to waste time writing if they're just going to get declined for not having "historical impact" or something.

I have to say, I loathed Vagrant Story and gave it up a few hours in. The game may have been great at the time, but it aged very poorly. I think games like the original Valkyrie Profile and something off the Seiken Densetsu (a.k.a. Mana) series are more deserving of a mention.

I will definitely write an entry for one of the Nihon Falcom games, just can't decide whether to include the popular Oath of Felghana, the Ys: Origin I enjoyed the most, or the obscure but deliciously original Xanadu: NEXT.

Ausdoerrt said:
Just to clarify though, are we talking classics only, or simply top 100 games? There are a handful of newer games I love to bits that I think have great mechanics etc., but I don't want to waste time writing if they're just going to get declined for not having "historical impact" or something.
I'm under the impression that "If you feel it's good, state your case!" is the rule, so that's regardless of its age. You'll notice I submitted a title from 2009 (Demon's Souls), so that's quite modern, but I consider it EASILY a Top 100 title, and so I submitted it. I'm also trying to collect material (since the "screenshots and other media" got OKed) for another submission of a title from 2010.

I'd say it's "a given" that many classics will get submitted, but it's practically "an obligation" to submit the modern ones, because there's so many and they're so quickly forgotten, it takes users to point them out for us to learn about and appreciate them. =)

Ausdoerrt said:

I have to say, I loathed Vagrant Story and gave it up a few hours in. The game may have been great at the time, but it aged very poorly. I think games like the original Valkyrie Profile and something off the Seiken Densetsu (a.k.a. Mana) series are more deserving of a mention.

I will definitely write an entry for one of the Nihon Falcom games, just can't decide whether to include the popular Oath of Felghana, the Ys: Origin I enjoyed the most, or the obscure but deliciously original Xanadu: NEXT.

Funny thing is I still love Vagrant Story and was considering submitting it soon! Did you get far in it? It gets better halfway in. It's really your personal choices for must play RPG's. There isn't any requirement beyond that. It will ultimately all be voted on anyway. Quite a few newer games are worth mentioning, like the already mentioned Demon Souls. Obscure titles are all the better as long as they are good. Cult classics often get skipped on lists like this, which is something I would like to avoid. I'm working on beating Anachronox for my submission atm.

^ Regarding "cult classics", someone should mention Arx Fatalis. I've only played it once, but it looked pretty original.

My issue with Vagrant Story is that I never played it at release, and by the time I got to it, it didn't seem like anything special. I am looking forward to seeing your submission on it though.

Ausdoerrt said:
^ Regarding "cult classics", someone should mention Arx Fatalis. I've only played it once, but it looked pretty original.

My issue with Vagrant Story is that I never played it at release, and by the time I got to it, it didn't seem like anything special. I am looking forward to seeing your submission on it though.

I'm having similar issues with Anachronox. I never played it when it first came out, but it's still a damn good game if you can look past it's faults. Vagrant Story has a really good combat system unlike anything I've ever seen. If you start crafting weapons and stuff like that, it gets really addicting. You have to get past the initial boring shit first though, which I find many RPG's are guilty of. I'll do a write up for Vagrant Story for sure though, probably shortly after Anachronox. Well, I do need to play Planescape: Torment too, but I never played Arx Fatalis either. Now I'm conflicted.. :D

Well, this whole 100 rpg's an hour sure is a huge success, isn't it? How come no one has submitted Fallout or Fallout 2 yet?

Sheesh.

I might do one for the original Diablo, seeing as how it's all I've got to play with these days...

alec said:
Well, this whole 100 rpg's an hour sure is a huge success, isn't it?
FWIW, I only just became aware of this project. Not sure how I missed it before.

It's invalid without some original Ultima, Wizardry, and Bard's Tale games.

Didn't see your post Alec...feel free to submit whatever you like. I've tried to get people to post more, but most don't give a fuck, don't have the time, or didn't even know about it. CMON YOU LOUSY SHITBAGS! :)

I would post more of my own reviews, but I don't want the thread to be filled with a ton of my stuff (I will be doing one for Anachronox still and probably Super Mario RPG for the lulz. Oh and Shadowrun and KotOR). I want some variety. Thankfully Dragula revived this a bit, otherwise no one would have given a shit. Most of the Orderites didn't like the idea to begin with. :shrug:

Universal Wolf, you can always submit those games. They were listed in the original thread, but no review has been done for them yet.

I know we have some talented reviewers around here, but they don't seem to be interested in the project much. It's a shame. That was my main reason for starting this. I felt they would be the best people to hear from. Alas, their silence continues. I am afraid if this doesn't pick up more, I will be forced to change it to Top 50 RPG's. Many said they were going to do reviews but never did it. I will get to work on two more to see if things pick up a little.

I wish someone would do one for Drakensang: The River of Time. Never played it but I heard it was good.

Top 50 RPGs Project

UPDATE: DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST I DOWNGRADED THIS TO TOP 50 RPG'S. (:=o

Not much more to say. I asked Tagaziel to change it since I don't have access so....I feel bad, Tagz made a nifty picture for it and all, but it's either this or shut the sub-forum down for good.

At this rate, we might have a list sometime near the apocalypse. With so few people actually contributing anything, it's kinda a bust as is. Meh. :confused:

There is one interesting ancient game "Perihelion" released only on Amiga, it didn't have much fans when was released and today is not known to anybody. Am completed it 3 or more times and am possibly only one fan of that game in the world. There is no reason whatsoever I would submit it to vote because it would get one vote.

Back