Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg

I am putting up this game again because it remains one of the greatest video games of all time. I love Fallout 1 and 2 but damn if I don't consider Arcanum better. It is one of my continued frustrations about this game that it didn't become it's own franchise and wasn't eventually picked up to be remade. It's one of those properties like No One Lives Forever or Vampire: Bloodlines which should be revived.

I also think it has one of the worst titles in video game history.

Arcanum would have been better.
So would "Steamworks"

Anyone else love this game and being a Cockney Orc or Posh Half-Elf?

Last edited:
Wasn't there a tagline about being the only game where you can play as a shotgun toting wizard?

Not quite true anymore but certainly a big appeal.

I also like the very Obsidian-esque bit of theology where the villain is motivated by the discovery Heaven is real, so the logical thing to do is kill everyone so they go there.

Did Chris Avellone work on this game? It seems like something he'd come up with.

I am putting up this game again because it remains one of the greatest video games of all time. I love Fallout 1 and 2 but damn if I don't consider Arcanum better. It is one of my continued frustrations about this game that it didn't become it's own franchise and wasn't eventually picked up to be remade. It's one of those properties like No One Lives Forever or Vampire: Bloodlines which should be revived.
I hold FO1 & 2 in higher regard, but it's probably the third best RPG ever made.
A bit easy to min-max though.

I also think it has one of the worst titles in video game history.

Arcanum would have been better.
So would "Steamworks"
Euhm, you do realize that the title basically means "mysteries of steampunk and magic" right? What's wrong with that?

Arcanum alone would mean jack shit. That's like naming your game "mystery" or "secret". Wow, how telling.

No, the current title perfectly lays out what to expect imo. A mystery filled game with tension between steampunk and magic.

The reason the title sucks is purely from my view it's not easy to remember or say. When doing a franchise, you should have something short and to the point.

This is the equivalent of making it:

Fallout: Of Radiation and Post-Apocalypse Survivia

The game is mostly known as Arcanum. The rest I consider to be a florid subtitle that fits perfectly well with the kinda 19th century style of the game. It doesn't work with Fallout because Fallout is a different style.

The title fits in perfectly, it's like reading a headline of three pages long article from antique newspaper left on table in upper class gentlemen club. Whole manual is written in the same style btw.

Somewhat weak combat animations combined with endless areas occupied by dozens of the same critters is the biggest drawback for me, fighting through it felt really unsatisfying. WTF Tim, such a drag! Everything else rocks hard.
Excellent gaem 10/10 would play again.

I do have some criticisms with the game which basically amount to tone issues. The game reminds me a bit of "Bright" in the fact the high fantasy bits are a little too prominent and the game would probably have been better toning them down to make it more, "Upper Class Elves in tophats and Working Class Orcs in coal mines" and less, "Elves from Middle Earth next to cities from Victoria's time."

I think the best part of the game was having books like "The Orcish Question" where we have conversations about how orcs get raised to be educated and respectable members of society, only to be treated like garbage so they just decide to act like villains as well as things like workers rights plus the rise of steam to replace magic.

The bits which felt like they were from typical fantasy games just didn't work for me. They were also confusing as you had talk about how kingdoms of horses and knights were defeated by ill-trained guys with technology but--wouldn't the former have guys with fireballs, gryffons, and sorcery like WOW?

The villain had a great existential plan but it's also something which has nothing to do with the themes of the game of science versus technology nor did the whole "Chosen One" plot. Basically, I would have preferred something related to the Victorian Era like someone building an army of airships or something.

Hell, the "plot by the gnomes to breed a slave race of half-ogres" was more interesting than the main villains plot and could have ended up being a kind of hilarious subversion. Gnomes ending up planning to invade the world and them as the ultimate baddies.

Back