Booted

ultrabrilliant

First time out of the vault
So I'm doing the quest 'Booted', which I picked up from the crippled Powder Ganger in the Nipton general store, and it's completely broken.

I have to rescue two prisoners from the Legion Raid Camp, just south of Ranger Station Charlie.

When I turn up, a Legion soldier is tied-up, while one of the Powder Ganger prisoners stands over him. Obviously the character models have been swapped around - great job, Gamebryo!

So I interact with the Powder Ganger and am given the option to untie him, even though, er, he isn't tied-up. As soon as I do, the Legion in the area attack and the other prisoner miraculously frees himself and goes for a little jog in a random direction. I catch up, click on him and he says "Hello" nonchalantly and continues running.

I really have no idea what to do, and I don't fancy lowering my standing with the Legion by killing a bunch of them. The only way I can get rid of the quest from my list is to kill the prisoners and fail it. But either way, the Legion soldiers attack, and I want the XP.

Anyone else had a similar experience with this quest? Or found a solution?

Mine was working properly. I untied the two powder gangers and they just ran off, never got any unique dialogue, ungrateful bastards.

Edit:

Granted I probably would have run off as well if I was a powder gangern and the "powder gangers grim fucking reaper" showed up, as the crippled powder ganger so delicately called me.

That's really all there's to it as far as I can see. Untie them, no one thanks you, you get to fight some Legion fags.

I left the quest open till way into the game. Honestly, if you're quest-OCD (as I tend to be somewhat), you'll have a hard time with this game. You'll have some open quests you might want to ignore or delay. That's life!

Thanks, guys. It must have taken them five minutes to put this quest together. The worst kind of filler.

Still confused as to why the Legion soldier and the Powder Ganger have swapped places, though. Happens even after a reload. Another brilliant and immersive 'quirk' of the game engine, I guess.

you can just kill boxcars and you fail the quest.

though I have learned killing boxcars has other repercusions regarding getting later quests.

Back