Charisma - only for speech and barter?

Ivae

First time out of the vault
Hi!

I´m about to play Fallout 3 for the second time now - in my first playthrough I kept Charisma low, but now I´d like to create a more social character.
Charisma seems like an obvious choice, but I´m not sure if the dialogue and reception my character receives is actually affected by it or if it´s sole purpose is to grant a boost to speech and barter.
The latter would make charisma practically useless since I can raise those easy enough, but I really hope it has more uses...

It makes Speech checks easier.

"Charisma increases the disposition of all NPCs, which makes speech checks easier. [...] Characters who use speech will want at least a decent charisma, but adding points to the skill is almost always better than adding points to the score."

Thanks for the replies!

It appears Charisma really is a useless stat, speech and barter can be easily raised without it - and since a high intelligence gives me more points to spend I´m not even losing anything.
I was hoping for unique dialogue options and different reactions from NPC´s - but alas, no.

Thanks for the tip, but I´m currently playing on console - my PC crashed and remained dead a while ago :cry:
Oh well, I just stick with low Charisma now and when I´m finally able to buy a new PC I´ll try some of these mods, they sound interesting.

In a speech check, both Charisma and Speech are taken into account, not just speech. Higher Charisma leads to easier speech checks, even with the same speech skill.

But of course, if you rely heavily on Save and reload on speech checks, both charisma AND speech becomes useless to raise, because there are not any speech checks in F3 that actually requires a certain speech skill, only the chance that it will succeed, so I'd either go full Charisma and speech, or not at all if you can stand save and reloading a lot

Back