Crazy Mod Idea: Which guns you would bring from later games into the OGs?

Slaughter Manslaught

Vault Senior Citizen
(I hope this is the right forum section, as its not actually a mod, just shooting some shit idea-wise)

You know, which guns from the later games (FOT/FO3/FNV/FO4/FO76) would you bring to FO1 and FO2 (maybe FOT too). Especially in a way that fits these games. And where it would be? Which game? How you would implement it?

Top of my mind:

Service Rifle (Fallout New Vegas)
Where: NCR in FO2
Ammo: .223 (because there's no 5.56 round in FO1/2)
Implementation: Not sure if as a burst-capable .223 rifle or a single-shot semi-auto with a -1 AP bonus. The former seems like it would make it a decent upgrade on mid-game burst weapons, while the later seems more unique in giving it a unique role as a fast-shooting rifle with a good round, AFAIK there's no -1 AP rifle. Considering the Service Rifle is the NCR's go-to rifle, I think it would fit well to have rangers and police in NCR carrying it.

AEP7 Laser Pistol (FO3/FNV)
Where: Early game FO1, FO2 and FOT
Ammo: Small Energy Cells
Implementation: Start with this one if you tag energy weapons in FO1. Maybe get another one in V15. Not sure where it would be found in FO2, perhaps in the Crashed Vertibird site on the body of the dead Enclave personnel? Or maybe in the Toxic Caves. Could be brought from Vault City inside the inner shops, or maybe looted from Vault 8 stocks. Energy Weapons should be rare.

(I actually hate how this gun looks, but it works in this role here. Its also pretty low-powered compared to the Wattz)

It would be a low-powered laser pistol comparable to the 10mm Pistol, except with laser modifers (yeah I know lasers suck by default. When I mention lasers here, assume a mod that makes them not suck dicks)

Laser RCW (FNV)
Where: FO2, New Reno, being wielded by some Salvatores. Also, in Sierra Army Depot
Ammo: Microfusion Cells (FO2 has no Electron Charge Packs)
Implementation: Dude, Laser Tommyguns. Its a natural fit for the Salvatores in New Reno. Obviously, the Enclave gave it to them. Also, this would definitively make the Salvatores look more intimidating and generally cool. It also be an interesting weapon, filling a unique niche of laser burst weapon in the mid-game. Good for giving to companions too, because it would use the Rifle sprite like the Tommy Gun does.

EMP Shells (FOT/FNV has Pulse Shells too)
Where: FO1 and FO2
Implementation: Rare late-game shotgun ammo brought in like one shop. Remember how EMP doesn't damage only robots but also cyborgs and enemies in Power Armor? Not that useful in FO1 (aside from fighting a few robots, the BOS and The Lieutenant and The Master), but in FO2 this could clean house. Remember how good the late-game Pancor Jackhammer with EMP shells was in Fallout Tactics? That's the idea here. It could make running a Pancor in late-game FO2 viable.

Service Rifle (Fallout New Vegas)
Where: NCR in FO2
Ammo: .223 (because there's no 5.56 round in FO1/2)
Implementation: Not sure if as a burst-capable .223 rifle or a single-shot semi-auto with a -1 AP bonus. The former seems like it would make it a decent upgrade on mid-game burst weapons, while the later seems more unique in giving it a unique role as a fast-shooting rifle with a good round, AFAIK there's no -1 AP rifle. Considering the Service Rifle is the NCR's go-to rifle, I think it would fit well to have rangers and police in NCR carrying it.
The hunting rifle is more or less the Fallout 1/2 equivalent of the service rifle, being a semi-auto .223 rifle, so I think adding the service rifle would be redundant. Also it’s more of an infantry weapon than a police weapon, and the NCR police already have better weapons anyway. Also also I don’t think the Rangers are actually part of the NCR military in Fallout 2, they’re more like an anti-slaver vigilante gang.

I think the rest of your suggestions would work fine though.

If I may add a few to the list:
-Tesla cannon
-Rocket launcher (Lonesome Road)
-Shoulder-mounted machinegun
-Grenade launchers/grenade machinegun
-Anti-materiel rifle
and if we’re including melee weapons:
-Ballistic fist (using shotgun ammo)
-Chainsaw
-Bumper sword (maybe as a super mutant-only weapon)

There was an early bug during Fallout's development, where the rocket launcher fired dogs at the target.

I wonder if the Rock-It Launcher could throw junk sprites in Fallout 1.

teddy3.gif

The hunting rifle is more or less the Fallout 1/2 equivalent of the service rifle, being a semi-auto .223 rifle, so I think adding the service rifle would be redundant. Also it’s more of an infantry weapon than a police weapon, and the NCR police already have better weapons anyway. Also also I don’t think the Rangers are actually part of the NCR military in Fallout 2, they’re more like an anti-slaver vigilante gang.

Well, the "sniping rifle" tree goes Hunting Rifle -> Scoped Hunting Rifle* > Sniper Rifle/Red Ryder LE > Gauss Rifle.
My idea was for the Service Rifle to fit the role of a fast-shooting single-shot weapon, kind of a sidegrade to the Hunting Rifle - allowing faster sniping (for sniper types) or being a fast-shooting single-shot weapon, kinda like being the rifle equivalent of the Magnum Revolver but with only one ammo type.

Another alternative I considered was the Service Rifle being full automatic. Essentially an upgraded Assault Rifle (or the FN FAL**) firing .223 ammo instead. That might be pretty strong, kinda like a mini-Bozar using the Small Guns skill. I found that a bit less original so I dunno.

I agree its more of a infantry than police weapon, but then again, NCR Cops literally go around with the Pancor Jackhammer, a gun capable of pulping wannamingoes.

That's true, the Rangers in FO2 were more of a totally-not-state-sanctioned vigiliante group, they only became the NCR's SpecOps after FO2.

*althrough you could argue the Scoped Hunting Rifle is better than the Sniper Rifle, accuracy and AP-wise, while the Sniper Rifle is for big damage
**The FO2 FN-FAL must have been made by someone who was ignorant of guns, cause that gun literally didn't work like an FN-FAL does lol. A real FN-FAL or equivalent would have been the strongest non-gauss rifle in the game, lulz.

If I may add a few to the list:
-Tesla cannon
-Rocket launcher (Lonesome Road)
-Shoulder-mounted machinegun
-Grenade launchers/grenade machinegun
-Anti-materiel rifle
and if we’re including melee weapons:
-Ballistic fist (using shotgun ammo)
-Chainsaw
-Bumper sword (maybe as a super mutant-only weapon)

Where and how you would implement those?

There was an early bug during Fallout's development, where the rocket launcher fired dogs at the target.

I wonder if the Rock-It Launcher could throw junk sprites in Fallout 1.

View attachment 22738

Wait, what? LMAO! I never heard that, lol!
If the dog sprite can be fired, junk or some other debris might be possible as well. Rock Launcher!
Huh, could be a cool way to despict a grenade launcher too. Just use the rifle or rocket launcher sprite, fire grenade sprites out of it.

You could port some of the weapons from the Total Conversions- Resurrection has the grenade launchers and anti-materiel rifle and Sonora has a heavy MG.

Where and how you would implement those?
Oh right, I forgot about that part.

Tesla cannon: I’d probably put this in the San Fran BOS bunker. I imagine it would be on par with the pulse weapons of Fallout 2. Maybe it could do more damage than the pulse rifle but cost more AP to fire. Maybe even have an area-of-effect similar to explosive weapons.

Rocket launcher:You’d find it along with missile launchers (which are just called rocket launchers in the original games, aren’t they?), it would do significantly less damage but be able to hold a few rockets without reloading.

Shoulder mounted machinegun: In F2 it would be found in the Sierra Army Depot and in shops in NCR and San Fran. In F1 it would be wielded by super mutants as a 10mm alternative to the minigun.

Grenade launchers: I could see these being mid-game to end-game weapons in both F1 and F2, particularly for characters without decent throwing range. I’m really not sure how to implement the grenade machinegun without making it ridiculously overpowered.

Anti-materiel rifle: Since the Bozar was originally supposed to be a heavy sniper, I’d put this rifle in the same places you can find the Bozar. In F1 you’d find it sold by the gun runners.

Ballistic fist: I’m really not sure. I guess you could find it the same time as you find the power fist, as a kind of low-tech alternative.

Chainsaw: Between cattle prod and super sledge. It would be heavier and slower to attack than the ripper, without doing significantly more damage either.

The only weapons I'd really like to see are those that add different functionality. Incinerator for example.

Back