Do you still have faith in Obsidian as a developer?

Obsidian is a great developer or it used to br. I'm concerned that they are not as good as they were when they made their best. I remember long ago Chris Avellone left. He was the one who helped make the studio great

So you think that Chris wrote NV alone? Sorry you are wrong, he wasn't even the lead writer of NV. Also do you think the original creators of Fallout aren't able to pull it off again?

I think Outer Worlds will be OK from what I've seen. I worry more about it not reaching some arbitrary sales number and Microsoft dabbling in their games more.

No and I never had, since I'm not part of target audience for any multiplatformer action game and PoE didn't convince me either.

So you think that Chris wrote NV alone? Sorry you are wrong, he wasn't even the lead writer of NV. Also do you think the original creators of Fallout aren't able to pull it off again?
Yep, Gonzalez has left Obsidian too.
The magic of "original creators of Fallout" won't do the trick here either, small creative group of close friends forgotten by their CEO and working on their own is a history. Now it's just Tim and Leonard riding the uncontrollable hundred-headed Hydra bred by the corporate and eager to feast on console market.

I don't really need to.
If they release some great stuff, that's good. If they don't (and even if they do) there are other mid-sized, indie-sized developpers or modders to cater for the niche.
And if they do release shit, i think i have better things to do that hate them. Just ignoring them would do the trick. Same for Beth or other companies whom products aren't meant for me.
I just hope this isn't the last i hear about MCA, Cain, Boyarsky and Co. (i mean, hearing good things. Don't care about their other noises)

While their newer titles have made me lose faith in them, I haven't given up on them, I'm always open for a turn around.
I'm hoping for the best with Outer Worlds, but am also prepared for the worst.

If it turns out to be another flop, we can still look forward to Starfield I guess? Here's hoping that's not the case.

Yes and no.

I've dug into PoE2 finally after waiting for the turn-based mode and I am enjoying it a lot more than I did Original Sin 2 (different developer - I know) or Tyranny. The game was hamstrung in sales due to Feargus' mismanagement. The Microsoft acquisition might reel him in and stop him from making stupid, financial decisions. You just never can tell.

I like to wait to see if new games are worth my money and time. Also, I kinda wanna see if this game hits GOG too. I'm excited but I'm not blindly so. I think the game will be fine.
If it turns out to be another flop, we can still look forward to Starfield I guess? Here's hoping that's not the case.
I don't know if I can stomach Gamebryo much anymore. I could when I was younger and most games I had played weren't very RPG-like. I will say if it wasn't for Fallout New Vegas and Oblivion I probably wouldn't be here.

I'm not really excited for anything Bethesda will be developing, probably not publishing either.

The closest obsidian has come to making a bad game was... Well that's not really happened has it? Will the outer worlds be a great RPG? Possibly. It's basically guaranteed to be at least good. There are certain studios that just don't release bad games, or at least haven't yet. I'd count obsidian among them. I fail to see any cause for concern for this studio. Only problem I have is they're probably going Xbox exclusive which basically means now I have to own all three consoles of this generation.

/Siderant seriously though basically nothing of interest released on 8th gen consoles for like 4 years (maybe a game or three a year) then sometime in late 2018 they just started dumping all the quality on us at once and I quite literally cannot afford to keep up.

tumblr_p6qe4oxIZI1wudnxho1_400.jpg

now I have to own all three consoles of this generation.
You probably won't have to seeing how they currently are doing things. Having Windows 10 is enough it seems to have just about any exclusive they'll have. You can even get MCC on Steam. It could all change of course. I guess I will be upgrading to 10 on my new rig whenever I do that but I'm still dual booting for either Windows 7 or XP (if I can) because I know 10 has issues with some older games.

EDIT: PC Gamer article with Feargus about Obsidian's take on the future of RPGs https://bit.ly/2JmjGy8

Last edited:
You probably won't have to seeing how they currently are doing things. Having Windows 10 is enough it seems to have just about any exclusive they'll have.
Haven't been able to physically own PC games since like 2008 so... I'll pass.

Haven't been able to physically own PC games since like 2008 so... I'll pass.
Fair enough!
I wish I could still do that for PC but I'll take DRM-free where I can and deal with it where I can't I guess. Even Steam has DRM-free games surprisingly. Of course it's not as good as having those old PC boxes with manuals and discs. I'll miss that.

I know this is a but off topic but I would literally rather games be released as like 4 disc sets rather than having to wait for shit to install ON A CONSOLE. Honestly what the hell.

Anyways I really am curious as to what OP is so worried about.
1552875471310.jpg

We should have a dedicated meme thread.

If anything Avellone leaving is a good thing? He was veering too far into the 'NUKE EVERYTHING AGAIN' territory; his DLC centered around his self-insert and "philosophy" were a hit and a miss for me.

I'm not jumping up and down for their new space game, but having or not having Avellone doesn't affect that for me, it affected NV.

Absolutely. Tyranny is fantastic and POE2 was a huge improvement from the first game. It's easily one of if not the best games they've made a studio, and the whole jankiness thing that was attached to their identity hasn't really been true since POE.

Whatever how much is or isn't true of Avellone's statement on the studio drama, it's undoubtable he has a huge ego as a writer which you can see in his MO and style of writing, and seems kind of inherently incompatible with sitting tight in a desk thinking of eight ways to slightly differently phrase the same sentence unnoticed. Wish the best of him, but he's a bit of a rock star.

Rock stars are created by the people who praise them I guess. So there's a bit of a reason why'd you see him act like a rock star if you ask me.
If anything Avellone leaving is a good thing? He was veering too far into the 'NUKE EVERYTHING AGAIN' territory
I'd say that part is kinda irrelevant to the other games they make and even if he was still around, it's not likely Obsidian would ever work on a Fallout title again in the near future.

Tyranny was really cool but Act III was not how I wanted that game to end. I have yet to play either POE but would like to.

Back