DosBox tweak suggestions to play Wasteland?

wintermute69

First time out of the vault
Hey guys, I'm trying to get wasteland to run in DoxBox and I'm getting encountering several problems. First of all, is there any sound to this game? All I get is the Windows buzz when I click on things, and it's really annoying. I feel like my computer's going to explode or something. Any ideas to tweak DosBox's sound to make it run a little smoother?

Also, I can't get the game to reset, I have someone else's character info and it's annoying. I tried killing the group, and it just starts me back up in the same spot. There's a reset batch file that came with the Zip I downloaded, but I can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I only have experience with the Apple II and PC versions, but there's no real sound in wasteland except during the loading screen, when you shoot full auto, and one other part where a siren goes off, if I remember right, and it's all through the internal speaker so there isn't anything you can do to smooth it out. Just turn it off if it's annoying.

Wasteland "reset" program: http://wasteland.rockdud.net/bin.html

It runs fine without Dosbox, btw. Or at least, it ran fine in 95,98, 2000, and XP without emulation for me.

Wow...it actually did work in XP. But it goes MUUCH too fast. I'd prefer to stick with DosBox because I can slow the game down.

wintermute69 said:
Wow...it actually did work in XP. But it goes MUUCH too fast. I'd prefer to stick with DosBox because I can slow the game down.

Not that it matters, except maybe reading the combat messages.

You can try VDMSound instead of DOSBox if you're having sound problems. May take some tinkering though.

Yeah, I tried VDMS before I tried DosBox and it crashed my computer. But if it's true that the only sound came through the windows internal speaker anyways, I'll guess I'll just play with DosBox with the sound off.

I'm not totally sure, but I think that one of Dosbox's strengths actually is that Dosbox works on nearly every platform, from Linux, to Mac, to Windows, which means that it also works on WIN 64 bit computers, bit I'm not totally sure??

I seem to recall that I seen a Dosbox version for x64 computers at sourceforget.net (sp?)

There's actually not that much sounds to the game, so you're not missing much. The in-game text scrolling can be slowed down too.

Your best bet is getting the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. soundtrack and playing Wasteland with it. :)

If you are not familiar with DosBox you can easily setup D-Fend Reloaded and play Wasteland (and most other Dos programs) on any modern OS.

1.You can download and install D-Fend (Default package):

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/Download.html

(It comes with DosBox pre-installed.)

2.Then download:

http://www.abandonia.com/games/436/Wasteland

3.Unpack the archive anywhere you want.

4.Load up D-Fend and click on "Add"/Add with wizard/ or press F3.

Choose the settings shown below:
fc49dl.jpg

5.Click next and point D-Fend to "wl.exe"

2e2edj5.jpg

I can't remember whether D-Fend came with a template for Wasteland or not but you can simply right click Wasteland in D-Fend and choose "Edit" and fine-tune the settings for each program individually:

ek2ck5.jpg

6.If the game runs too fast you can decrease the CPU emulation speed under hardware/CPU. (I have it set at 1000cycles)

You can change the speed of the emulation ingame by pressing CTRL-F11 (decrease cpu cycles ) and CTRL-F12 (increase cpu cycles)

Ingame you can switch between fullscreen and windowed mode by pressing Alt+Enter

If this isn't clear enough or if I forgot something please let me know.

^ Dude, you just dummy proofed it. That is a very useful post IMO.

Back