Fallout 1 mod F1DP (Fallout 1 DOS Patcher)

Edw590

Edw590
Hi everyone. As I can't publish a resource for some reason (no permissions?), I've decided to make a normal thread for it. Maybe some other time I can create a resource(?).

This program patches the engine of the MS-DOS executable of Fallout 1 v1.2 with patches from TeamX, Fallout Fixt, and Crafty's sFall1/sFall, all optional and configurable in an INI file.

I know the DOS version is not very much used, but some people like me still need it because maybe the computer doesn't support Wine, or (in my case) the handheld device is too slow to emulate Windows 9x and run Fallout 1 on top of it (in my case the tablet already lags a bit while playing the initial movies with the DOS EXE!). So this enables those that need this EXE to use the patches that the Windows players can (at least some of them).

It's very easy to prepare, and the instructions are in a ZIP along with 3 other files: an installer that installs a loader into the game EXE and does some minor mandatory modifications to it, and a BIN and an INI file, which are the patcher itself.

I'd like to have included High Res Patch's Fog Of War (my most wanted feature), but the source is not public (cool...), so I could not do it... Maybe some time I try to go see the hard way how it was done.
EDIT: the source was released! Though I still cannot port FOW... It doesn't work when I port it, for some reason...

Hope it's useful to someone else!

Unrelated note: Fallout Fixt can also be run on DOS, alongside with this, just like it can with sFall1 on Windows (if you'd like that, check this post of mine: https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-fixt-in-dosbox.216521/#post-4458973).

Link for F1DP's downloads (on GitHub): https://github.com/DADi590/F1DP/releases.

Note: this is a modification to update the engine only, because other patches (SSL files and whatever other things), just copy them and they will work normally - Fixt works, so...

Last edited:
F1DP updated to version 1.1.

Changelog:

-> Update: Crafty's sFall1 base version is now 1.7.20
- F1DP Patcher version increased to 1.1 because of this.
- Also fixed bugs that happened because of my lack of attention on the ASM code. So, some things that probably were
not working were fixed.

-> Update: patched file name changed to 8.3 file name
- Now it's F1DPATCH.EXE, a supported DOS name, as requested on Reddit by emxd_llc (thank you).

If anyone would like to help on the mod, there's Fog Of War to try to port from HighResPatch, and also update all remaining code to sFall1 v1.8. In case anyone's interested on that (I am on FOW, at least), I may not do that too soon. Too much work to do this and I have other projects and not enough time for all. I wish Mash had published the source...

F1DP updated to version 1.2.

Changelog:

(It's a small release. I was thinking in not releasing, actually. I'm only releasing because it's useful for whoever wants to play the game on the PSP - FADE_TIME_MODIFIER is very useful for slow machines to boost the game startup time)

EDIT: forgot to mention, but I think I also fixed 2 or 3 very small bugs here, by misuse of the way I made up to be able to port the patches.

- The Installer has now a DOS executable too.
- Changed f1dpatch.bin and .ini to caps in the Loader (unimportant - it's not case sensitive).
- Updated some sFall1 files to v1.8.
- A few High-Res Patch features were added. Fog of War code was also ported, but it still not working for some reason.

Last edited:
F1DP updated to version 1.2.3.

Changelog:

- Fix requirement of a Special Section on the sFall1 translations INI.
- Added an example INI with all the default translations included with F1DP's sFall1 version.
- Added possibility of translating Fixt string patches, also included in the example INI.

Note: be careful if you try to modify the Fixt translations. They might need to be of the exact same length as the original ones. With diferent lengths it might overlap with the rest of the sentence or even other game strings (spaces before the beginning or after the end of the strings don't count).

Back