Fallout 1 Changing MC Sprite

xanderhunter

First time out of the vault
Is there any way to change the MC's sprite? Would like to use one of the other generic Vault sprites so I have the ability to change hair color. Or would that sprite then not have the armor show up correctly?

xanderhunter said:
Is there any way to change the MC's sprite? Would like to use one of the other generic Vault sprites so I have the ability to change hair color. Or would that sprite then not have the armor show up correctly?

Install sfall, open ddraw.ini, find the following lines:

Code:
;To change the default and starting player models, uncomment the next four lines.
;The default models can also be changed ingame via script
;MaleStartModel=hmwarr
;MaleDefaultModel=hmjmps
;FemaleStartModel=hfprim
;FemaleDefaultModel=hfjmps

uncomment the lines as instructed, and type in the name of the sprite you want to use. Remember that the sprites that are the most suitable for use by the player character are those that have all weapon animation sets. Otherwise, if the player equips a weapon that his sprite doesn't have animations for, the game will crash. For instance, the tribal set doesn't have any guns animations. If you were using a tribal animation and equipped a shotgun, the game would have crashed.

So would one of the other Vault sprites work? I think I have seen them use guns before, but it's been awhile.

Edit: Also is there a place where I can find the sprite name and see a picture of it?

xanderhunter said:
So would one of the other Vault sprites work? I think I have seen them use guns before, but it's been awhile.

Edit: Also is there a place where I can find the sprite name and see a picture of it?

Only the main critter can use all of the weapons, the black vault dwellers only have a few weapons. The game will crash if you don't have the correct animations. The Restoration Project has a bald and long hair version of the main critter, I say make your life easier and just play the RP.

xanderhunter said:

It only has gun and knife animations, so no, it won't do. Basically, the ones that will are the sprites of the armors that the player can wear (Vault suit w/ 13, Leather jacket, leather armor, metal armor, combat armor, power armor, advanced power armor and purple robes).
You can rip the hero appearance mod's sprites from the RP (to get the bald and long hair versions of these), or you can look here for new sets of combat armor (I think the black and blue ones have all weapon sets) as well as some sandy coloured robes (I may be wrong, but I do think X'il made all weapon sets).

Download DAT Explorer and extract critters.dat from your F2 installation folder. Then download Titanium FRM browser and use it to preview the .frm files. You should be able to find both of these programs in the NMA's files section, if not, use Google like the rest of us.

TL;DR short answer: Yes it's possible, but it's a pain in the ass and only kinda half works the way you'd probably want.

Long answer:

Assuming OP was asking about Fallout 1 only and specifically, the only way to do this is:

Replace all the graphics files for the main character with files from a different character/type, by manually copying and renaming all of them (batch renamer program helps here).

Or, going into the exe and modifying the pointer(s) that point to the (fe)male PC's default appearance. This changes when armor is equipped, so it's only useful if you're playing without armor. As .Pixote. said though, you could use the graphics from F2RP, but unfortunately I'm not aware of a way to replace the graphics files for when armor is equipped, without that also changing the appearance of all non-PC critters who wear that type of armor.

As far as I'm aware, the sfall/timeslip functions mentioned above DO NOT work for Fallout 1.

Back