Fallout 1 mod Fallout 1 debug mode on DOS version?

Edw590

Edw590
Hi everyone.

It's just what I said on the title. Would anyone know if debug mode can be enabled somehow on Fallout 1's DOS version instead of just Windows version? I was in need of knowing why I can't save games 2 or more times on a PSP running Fallout 1 with DOSBox (I can only the first time), so I thought maybe if I saw the game's output, I could know the reason and try to fix it somehow - or not, but I could at least try. Though, it must be with DOSBox. The error won't show up on anywhere else, only on the PSP, so it must be with DOS version.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. Well, I don't really know how they work. The files that enable Debug Mode are the third and fourth files on this link: http://www.teamx.ru/site_arc/utils/index.html. Though, they say their only for Windows versions. And I can't find anything about DOS versions. I was hoping anyone would have any idea how this was done or some other thing. I'd just like to be able to see debug output from the game. At least errors. So I could find the save error.

Pretty sure nobody ever made something like that for the DOS version. But the debug log is often useless anyway, so I doubt you'd get any good info out of it.

So... Supposing no one ever made one like Lexx said, I decided to try to make it myself haha. I was waiting to do something usefull with Reverse Engineering (if this actually is that), so this is the biggest thing I've done yet, even if it's really small hahaha (change 12 bytes in a file and recalculate an offset inside it). I changed the official 1.1 DOS version file to be ready for the Debug Mode. [WOW - sorry got excited hahaha] If it's allowed, I could link it or upload here it so the site would accept it (and it would be here forever, not in some website which will go away). If it's not allowed, no problem, was just to share the thing. In any case, thank you both.
But the debug log is often useless anyway, so I doubt you'd get any good info out of it.
Also, hopefully it will tell me the reason why it doesn't want to save the games on DOSBox for PSP starting from the second time I save.... If it doesn't, I'll try DOSBox debug files, if they even exist. If not, a PSP debugger or whatever tells me console errors (not sure what I'm saying is stupid haha, I'm a begginer on these things). Hope this says the reason. Already was hours trying to put Fallout 1 fast enough on the PSP. 3-4 more hours to know how to do this simple thing. Infinite time with this game hahaha.

Last edited:
Just to put here, I just found out distributing a game executable is piracy, so out of question. I might make a patch (so it's not illegal) for someone who could use it, or the possible real reason, to see if I can and learn with that.

EDIT: Unless that's also copyright infringement.... In that case, would be a pity. But it's already published one for Windows version and I think nothing bad happened, so I guess this wouldn't be bad either. Actually, would be interesting to know what's illegal and what's not...

Last edited:
Back