Fallout 2 - NCR, New Reno or Vault City?

MBO

First time out of the vault
Which political power do you prefer?

I didn't include the Enclave because, although being commanded by the "President", has no contact with the rest of the territory, and is more focused on military actions to "cleanse" the wasteland.

You could select "New Reno" and pick one of the families, of course. Since, for example, while NCR and Vault City both intend to annex Redding, the Mordino Family is trying to conquer it using the Jet addiction problem.

I prefer NCR.
Gameplay wise, I always wipe Vault City clean(can't stand so much arrogance and self-centering, and for also *****ing on the poor ghouls), always help NCR out(although they play dirty with the raider assaults on Vault City - not that I care), and always help the Wright Family take over New Reno.

So, what's your opinion?

well, NCR seem the most reasonable, although they tend to remind me of american pioneers in a way. Tandi is trying her best, but shit will once come loose, like it always does. but she has good intentions, and I appreciate that.
my vote goes to the NCR.
OT: killing Vault City was beautiful.

I really like posing with my gunpower so NCR is deffinatly out.
Vault City isn't my case they are to arrogant and way too clean for beeing post nuclear capital city...well butt I like blackmailing the doctor in the bunker though and the fact that they have a bunker is also a plus
when they would have a fusion with gecko this city would have a chance for my vote
...but where's the fun?the gambling?the adventure?
Come to New Reno my friends!

None of the towns are p'ticuler fallout-ish so I choose the sekret option.
New Reno, Vault City and NCR all die.

I also kill the only city that really fit into the Fallout setting, Vault City. It stuck out, but it had a reason to, and it was in the dark future feel that their community wasn't able to fully survive on its own, leading the Chosen One to wonder if the GECK was only a temporary solution for his tribe's needs.

Aside from that the brain-trust for Fo2 to come up with some talentless shit, namely "Water Chip II" (GECK) and a Final Fantasy version of The Master (Horrigan), but without anyone else possibly needing the Water Chip II, so it doesn't lead to anywhere near the problem of civily acquiring the original Water Chip. Do you just take it and let Necropolis die? Do you only let a select few survive? Or do you help the ghouls as well?

Instead, they turned the GECK into an unimaginative "fetch the foozle" and created an interchangeable and quite unimaginative end boss. Hence why I consider Fo2 to be sub-par to Fallout, especially in terms of writing. Fo2 has "cool shit", but Fo1 has far better writing.

I kind of like vault city. You have to put up with a lot of shit but when you become captain of the guard, its worth it. lynette is a self absorbed bitch but shes just the icon of vault city. In reality you run the shit.

In my opinion the only fun about Vault City is killing them :chew: * Even though it kind of fits the Fo-setting. Oh, and there is also the joy of smuggling alcohol into the city (a quest that was ridiculously easy by the way)

*why is there no " :chew: " smiley here?

I tend to play a rogue/hacker character, so I don't fight much, knocking the wipeout plans out the window. There's plenty of illegal shit to do in New Reno though, and dirty dealings. I stay away from the other two though, if you get caught, you're screwed.

RPGenius said:
I tend to play a rogue/hacker character, so I don't fight much, knocking the wipeout plans out the window. There's plenty of illegal shit to do in New Reno though, and dirty dealings. I stay away from the other two though, if you get caught, you're screwed.

Thats often the way I see it too. So much illegal stuff to do in New Reno and plenty of quests to boot. Sex, drugs and (rock and roll??)....

I like them all, but which I prefer?
Well the only one time I have got thought was with a good guy so I went with Gecko and NCR + NCR-Vault City brake of hostilities and Wright family, and the Shi. I just thought it gave me most exp and most good resolve.

Now trying to go with bad fem, with Mordino fam and Bishob + blowing Gecko powerplant, and killing the squatters at Vault-15 and with Hubologists... :twisted:

My vote's actually gonna have to go to the come-from-behind tagteam of Klammath and Modoc (and, to a lesser extent, Redding and Broken Hills). These towns, and perhaps The Den, are the ones in which I felt like I was playing in a world that actually had some sort of cohesive tone to it. I could believe that Modoc existed in a post-apocalyptic world, and that that world was the same world as Arroyo, which was the same world as Klammath, which was the same world as The Den, et al. Most of the "major" locations in FO2 were, to me, kind of anemic, offering a whole lot of convoluted machinations and Step'n'Fetchit quests without weaving themselves into the game experience or giving you much of a reason to care. They weren't parts of a seamless and integrated socio-historical whole, as had been the towns of Fallout 1. They were a patchwork of instances that happened to have been grafted onto the same desert.

I mean, c'mon... the (relatively) sophisticated townsfolk of New Reno spoke in awe of Salvatore's "Lightbringers," while any old skag with a couple thousand caps to spare could pick up a laser pistol right outside (outside!) the gates to NCR, if memory serves. And that's just off the top of my head, having not played the game for three years.

New Reno was my personal favorite. NCR and Vault City were very orderly and all, (even though Vault City wasn't alwasy ethical) but the chaotic lawless comunity of New Reno was a neat setting, and to me it felt like a lot more was going on there. Working up to the rank of made man and being treated differently by people afterwards, boning the bishop women, and just cruising around like you own the place were some of my fondest memories in the game. I liked the whole post apocoliptic mobster feel it had. I agree that the world could never be rebuilt under New Reno's leadership, but it made a damn fun part of the game.

I agree with Yamu on preferring the believable smaller towns, but of the three 'political' powers I would go for NCR as the most reasonable, positive choice.

Geek moment:

Destroying Vault City is not the best solution.

Yes, an evil bunch of elitist anoying fucks they are (You know none of them smoked!)

But they are also one of the main sources of available technical experitse in the region. You shouldn't blame the prissy citizens for their government and upbrining. The doctor in the vault was nice after all, even if his assistant ("shovel face") was a boor.

Better to hope that they begin contributing to the waste in a positive manner if NCR takes power and chooses to remain non violent.

It's sad that I think about this stuff so much. Seriously, just give me a rusted C7A1, a Silverado, and some mutants to go after. I'll be happy.

I never botheredeven wasting Vault City, too much time involved, and I really just didn't care.

I spent more time shooting up the Den or something, to quell my boredom...

But seriously, what city do you prefer???

Hmm, I'm planning to cause and overload at the Gecko reactor as soon i'm done saving my villagers. Those arrogant Vault City pricks deserve to be destroyed.

Hmm.. I don't like NCR ether, a pre Vault City imho. And Reno is a messy shithole..

Hmm Not sure yet but if I have another option I'd go for Broken Hills if they where a strong party, I like that town

New Reno...

Screw NCR.

Screw Vault City. I don't carr much about wiping out VC, I mean if I could cause a massive riot, hell, let it be done.

The one thing I really liked about Vault City was the sort of grudging respect that you force them all to have for you. Except for Lynnette, of course. But the rest of them end up respecting the hell out of you, after you become their savior and Captain of the Guard.

Back