Fallout 2 on Fallout Tactics Platform?

Tevilainen

First time out of the vault
Has anyone ever tried to write a mod for Fallout Tactics that translates Fallout 2 into the Fallout Tactics environment? Having the Fallout 2 world combined with the Tactics rules (fighting, companions as full characters...) would be pretty amazing. Must be a bit of work, though. But has anyone tried that?

There is one, unfinished, for Fallout 1 in Tactics but can't find it just now. Don't know about 2.

Yep the Fallout 1 port to Tactics is called "Open Fallout Mod" (https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/Open_Fallout_Mod), but it was really really far from being finished when it was abandonned. I downloaded it and it was mostly just a pack of empty maps. Well done, but no more than that. In my idea, this project you are talking about is too much work to ever be completed by anyone. And if you remember, Fallout 2 is filled to the rim with complex dialogues... and Tactics does not even have a speech dialog tree system, so the project is doomed to fail from the start in my opinion.

Some guys have tried to port Fallout 1 to New Vegas, and included a lot more contents to it than all combined attempt using Tactics engine : .

В последней версии Open Fallout Mod было многое добавлено. К проекту подключился еще один человек, который написал диалоги для карт v13, Shady Sands, Raiders, Necropolis, Brotherhood & Military Base. Все обсуждения и работы ведутся теперь тут. Последняя версия 1.07а от 17.09.2021 (rus)

В последней версии Open Fallout Mod было многое добавлено. К проекту подключился еще один человек, который написал диалоги для карт v13, Shady Sands, Raiders, Necropolis, Brotherhood & Military Base. Все обсуждения и работы ведутся теперь тут. Последняя версия 1.07а от 17.09.2021 (rus)
Thanks to Google translate:

In the latest version of Open Fallout Mod, a lot has been added. Another person joined the project, who wrote dialogues for v13 maps, Shady Sands, Raiders, Necropolis, Brotherhood & Military Base. All discussions and work are now underway here. Latest version 1.07а from 17.09.2021 (rus)

Yep the Fallout 1 port to Tactics is called "Open Fallout Mod" (https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/Open_Fallout_Mod), but it was really really far from being finished when it was abandonned. I downloaded it and it was mostly just a pack of empty maps. Well done, but no more than that. In my idea, this project you are talking about is too much work to ever be completed by anyone. And if you remember, Fallout 2 is filled to the rim with complex dialogues... and Tactics does not even have a speech dialog tree system, so the project is doomed to fail from the start in my opinion.

Some guys have tried to port Fallout 1 to New Vegas, and included a lot more contents to it than all combined attempt using Tactics engine : .

Thank you for the convincing answer! I missed that the tactics lacked the speech dialog tree systemt but it makes absolute sense. Oh well, another time and there are lots of good games than can be still played.

Thanks to Google translate:

In the latest version of Open Fallout Mod, a lot has been added. Another person joined the project, who wrote dialogues for v13 maps, Shady Sands, Raiders, Necropolis, Brotherhood & Military Base. All discussions and work are now underway here. Latest version 1.07а from 17.09.2021 (rus)

Wow I did not know that! It might have something to do with the langage barrier, unfortunately. It is pretty recent news too, thats amazing. You might want to grab the rat (or mouse) sprite I have in my mod (the Sum) for more fidelity to Fallout I. Feel free to use any of them.

Thank you for the convincing answer! I missed that the tactics lacked the speech dialog tree systemt but it makes absolute sense. Oh well, another time and there are lots of good games than can be still played.

As you can see The Open Fallout mod has a dialog tree, but it must be hell of a work because it is done within the limits of tactics that lacks such a system. But we have FT Scripting Engine now by Melindil, adding LUA coding to the game, so with some luck we'll have somebody programming a real speech dialog tree using .txt files eventually. It could even be faster to code that the current speech system which has too much steps and takes forever to program (1. writing the .txt, 2.creating speech nodes in Level editor, 3. Adding a script for each node)

Last edited:
You might want to grab the rat (or mouse) sprite I have in my mod (the Sum) for more fidelity to Fallout I. Feel free to use any of them.
Thanks. I'm using your rat sprite. I also hope that Melindil will continue working on FTSE. This is a great tool that gives a lot of new features. (sorry, goo translate).

Thanks. I'm using your rat sprite. I also hope that Melindil will continue working on FTSE. This is a great tool that gives a lot of new features. (sorry, goo translate).

Oh yeah Awsome! FTSE shows a lot of promise (it already changed pretty much everything for me), it all can be made anew with it, it must be a bit overwhelming to work on such a tool. Could be great to have some other programmers that join him because for now I think a single guy has to do all the work and that must be a lot.

Back