Fallout 3 remake mod Capital Wasteland is cancelled - surprises nobody!

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
T

TorontoReign

[URL='http://RPS']https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/13/the-fallout-3-remake-mod-capital-wasteland-is-cancelled/ [/url]reports that the overly ambitious Fallout 4 remake of Fallout 3 has been shelved. Gee it's almost like Fallout 4 is the worst designed game in the core series and most mods of this scope never see the light of day!!

qD97Upt.jpg

Plus this just seems unbearably naive, but admirable effort nevertheless.

Wanting to preempt such issues, the Capital Wasteland team got in contact with Bethesda, seeking official blessing for such a move. Unfortunately, the studio weren’t willing or able to offer such support. With little option beyond assembling a massive voice cast of their own, they’re officially calling it quits on the project after a full year in development, although there may yet still be some hope for it.

For a look at what might have been:

https://capitalwasteland.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure that even without them asking Bethesda stuff, they would still not go far.
I can't really discuss why I said this, but I didn't see this project getting finished as soon as I looked a bit more into it (quite a while ago).

I am pretty sure that even without them asking Bethesda stuff, they would still not go far.
I can't really discuss why I said this, but I didn't see this project getting finished as soon as I looked a bit more into it (quite a while ago).

I wager most big Fallout 4 mods will not be completed. It's actually hilarious to see people constantly trying to remake the previous games with each new entry. Such a waste of time when assets could be used on something new.

People should use their talent to make something new and better, not to remake a shitty mediocre game. Just look at Fallout: Cascadia it's new and looks way better than this. Althought I'm sceptical if this mod will be complete someday it's still more interesting than replaying a game with prettier graphics. Like I said before nothing was lost.

None of these remakes of the Fallout games are ever actually are released.

They always end up being canceled. This didn't surprise me in the least.

I don't miss this project at all. They wanted a straight port instead making the game better with, you know, more weapons, adding DT or even making optional settlements.

What's the status on Fo4:NV? That's still going strong, right?
Last I checked, it had Skills reimplemented.
They're making up their own cool story, so B*thesda has no good reason to drop a C&D letter on F4NV team. Hopefully.
Skills reimplemented as standalone framework as well as classic dialogs. Turns out B*thesda cut some additional lines in order to fit into retarded four button crap. Blame Emil for being a hack for all this.
RIP another passionate fan project, I never liked F3 much but it's too bad to see people loosing hours of their work and watch it getting flushed into the toilet. Legal issues man, I can respect the holders rights, but I also hate them.
Such a life in a first world. Initiative fucks the passionate initiator because corporates literally have nothing better to do with their IP and too stupid to see a gold mine and good PR right under their nose. At least Black Isle Studio was apathetic enough to not give a shit about legality of modding.

Last edited:
Fallout New Vegas in F2's engine when?
Actually. As much as I'm excited for the F4 remaster of New Vegas, I'd love to see an isometric New Vegas. No more heavy engine limitations. Caesar's lands could be part of the game. Maybe not with F2's engine, but let's dream for a moment... Wasteland 2's engine ? Inxile talked about modding tools in their Kickstarter, but I couldn't find more informations about it.

AFAIK the modding support for WL2 DC (the original doesn't have any) is fairly limited, no official tool for mapping/scripting.

Wanting to preempt such issues, the Capital Wasteland team got in contact with Bethesda, seeking official blessing for such a move. Unfortunately, the studio weren’t willing or able to offer such support.

Yeah, duh. That's the dumb move right there. You don't contact Bethesda and ask for their blessing. They will *always* decline. This is normal, this was always the case. If you don't contact them, they can ignore your project and act as if they don't know about it. If you do contact them, they have to protect their licenses and shit.

Their own fault, really.

Yeah, duh. That's the dumb move right there. You don't contact Bethesda and ask for their blessing. They will *always* decline. This is normal, this was always the case. If you don't contact them, they can ignore your project and act as if they don't know about it. If you do contact them, they have to protect their licenses and shit.

Their own fault, really.
People are so scared to break the "law" these days they double check if anything they do is the right thing. And looking for possible approval. But why would anyone expect a blessing from B*thesda since with creation club they explicitly stated that these are the limits we want you to work in, STOP MAKING BETTER GAMES THAN US FOR FREE....
...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
fc5.jpg

Ah... didn't care much for having 3 in 4's engine. So this is my first time hearing about this mod.

Shame that the creators wasted all that time for nothing though.

None of these remakes of the Fallout games are ever actually are released.

They always end up being canceled. This didn't surprise me in the least.
I get the feeling that the New Vegas in FO4 mod may end the same way too. At least based on @Risewild and @0wing said, they seem to be doing alright for now.

it's a shame, of course, that creativity and ambitions hit a brickwall and the project had to be abandoned
but let's be honest, it was obvious from the start that it will never be finished. and frankly, i couldn't care less about having a terrible game ported to a slightly better engine

I have reason to feel otherwise.
https://tesrenewal.com/morroblivion-faq

If Morroblivion can get finished, there's no reason Fo4: NV can't either.
Especially since @0wing said it'll have it's own story.
True. From the FAQ, Morroblivion kept going even after the initial attempt was halted by Bethesda by taking steps to prevent cease and desists.

With that in mind, was Skywind ever finished? I don't recall hearing about news of a full release like Morroblivion.

Back