Fallout 4 fix fic ideas

Charwo

Look, Ma! Two Heads!
I know Fallout 4 is NOT popular here. I should know, I'm here because I hate Fallout 4.

If you were to try and fix Fallout 4, what specifically would you have done differently? Not art direction, not mechanics, but story points? It's not enough to say more sidequests, what sidequests would you have liked, that you would have put in or changed?

I'll give you some examples of things I would have done:
There would be no diamond city. At all. Instead, half of Boston south of the Charles River would be like Goodneighbor, a quarter rebuilt to prewar standards like the Strip, and another quarter overrun and lawless.
The USS Constitution would have no rockets, the robots would be justified, and the salvagers would have a point.
The kid in the fridge would speak, but on opening the fridge, there's just a skeleton inside
The Institute would not be doing stupid, idiotic evil shit and part of the city-state of Boston, albeit the most morally ambiguous part, sorta like Vault City. They'd be so powerful and so essential to keeping a heavily populated city afloat, they'd be able to keep making gen-3 synths and be tolerated.
The Boston Commons including the North Church would be restored and populated.
Vault 111 would have a functioning 1000 person Vault with cryostorage for hundreds of people in it's sub-basements.
No mention of a city under the Mojave in the Cabot House, and the SS could wear and master the helm.
Eddie Winter would be an unassuming merchant.
Pickman would have an actual working gallery and luring punks and criminals to his place so he could use their blood to make paints.
Whether or not Vault 95 destroyed itself, it would be inhabited currently by the people from Vault 95 or maybe colonists from Vault 81.
Boston would have been a really OK place to live until the Gunners got greedy and seized parts of the city for their own profit.
And of course, Ghouls are not zombies.

Or maybe junk the entire story anyway and write about a war veteran and family struggling to be a Fallout hero in 2077. You know, trying to keep order, get people into Fallout shelters, rebuilding and refurbishing things once the Black Rain passed.

What would you do?

Scrap it. Scrap it all.

Seriously, in order to fix this whole mess, you need to start from the pre-war segment and go from there.

Why is pre-war peaceful? The situation supposed to be nervous, power and food running out etc.

How come you don't die when nuke blows up so close?

Why did not heat or radiation affect you?

Why is there a voice for the protagonist? Why institute takes shaun when there were people already in vault not affected by the nuke?

Why did you survive 230 years of cryo without turning into a pile of goop like in Fallout 2?

There is simply too much to fix.

Scrap it. Scrap it all.

Seriously, in order to fix this whole mess, you need to start from the pre-war segment and go from there.

Why is pre-war peaceful? The situation supposed to be nervous, power and food running out etc.

How come you don't die when nuke blows up so close?

Why did not heat or radiation affect you?

Why is there a voice for the protagonist? Why institute takes shaun when there were people already in vault not affected by the nuke?

Why did you survive 230 years of cryo without turning into a pile of goop like in Fallout 2?

There is simply too much to fix.

Actually, the only problem with the going down the elevator as the bomb is going off is blindness. And I'm willing to forgive it as dramatic license. Plus, you have to remember that Megaton warheads were rare to not used in the Great War. I think they were restricted to 750kt warhaeads. There were exceptions of course, but the damage or lack thereof in Boston indicates 800 kt or less.

The Glowing Sea is more or less in Needham. Even a 3.3 megaton Dang Feng 4 wouldn't reach and touch Concord. It's outside the Thermal range so second-degree burns are possible with full exposure but your character just misses that. No radiation damage at that radius, in Megaton warheads the radiation zone is always inside the blast radius. No, they are way out of harm's way, at least until the fallout begins.

As for it being peaceful, there were riots all during the summer of 1968, but....if you lived in the suburbs, and didn't watch the news, you'd never know they were going on. And of course the newscaster isn't going to cover food rioting....by this time the old Enclave is completely in control of the US government. Everything is always fine, all the time.

I think it would have neen more interesting to have the institute be a kind of "investment" company wherein people make donations (in eeturn for cybernetic enhancments and other goodies) so they have money to perform expirement on their slaves. And those slaves are what the railroad is for. Scrap the BOS and have the railroad leading the slaves into the BOS because they need new recruits. We could even say the railroad I funded by the BOS. thats just off the top of my head.

I think it would have neen more interesting to have the institute be a kind of "investment" company wherein people make donations (in eeturn for cybernetic enhancments and other goodies) so they have money to perform expirement on their slaves. And those slaves are what the railroad is for. Scrap the BOS and have the railroad leading the slaves into the BOS because they need new recruits. We could even say the railroad I funded by the BOS. thats just off the top of my head.

Are you talking about human slaves or Gen-3 synths? Cause I don't think the BOS would knowingly accept Gen-3s

Human slaves. Gen 3 synths are too advanced for fallout imo. Maaaaybe I could let gen 1s slide. Maybe.

That I don't get. If they were terminators or had fully synthetic brains, maybe, but not really. But the point is moot. Everything is edible about the synth body (with no taste difference no less!) except the synth component. Synths aren't robots....synths are artificial humans. Now for me, that's the first thing I would change, they WOULD be flesh covered robots.

I don't see the need for slaves though....all you gotta do is go looking for raider gangs with non-lethal weaponry and BAM! you have all the people you could ever want to experiment on.

So here's how I would have done F4.

Start off with you waking up in Vault 111, you talk to the other people and learn that you're from a pre war background. You leave the Vault and are greeted by one of the Factions (Maybe a new Faction).
They gun everyone down but you somehow managed to escape.
You go to the first Town where you meet a Cyborg, you learn about the Institute from him.
You then learn that Cyborgs are being hunted by the BoS due to them thinking that they can be used as weapons against humanity and so should be stopped.
You do some more exploring and find the Railroad who are saving Cyborgs who are hiding from the Institute and BoS.

Along the way, you meet with the Faction that killed everyone in Vault 111 (they don't recognise you) but say they are looking for someone. They tell you that the Institute are looking for people from the pre war days in order to unlock certain technology which can be used for their own benefit.

Some more shit happens.
You finally meet the Institute who have been kidnapping people and turning them into Cyborgs in order to achieve the next step of human evolution. They explain they've been trying to create Androids again but their work was set back as a prototype escape ten years ago (or you learn this in terminals, makes a nice call back to F3).

You then have your choice, do you join with the BoS in order to stop this technology from going into the wrong hands, the Railroad who believe they are still people and should be treated as such, or the Institute who believe that Cyborgs are the next step to evolution (they wanted people for the pre war era due to the fact they weren't exposed to radiation their entire life or so... or maybe have a twist where it turns out everyone from Vault 111 were androids with pre-war memories implanted in them and they were preserved by the Enclave in order to create a group of disposable soldiers if there were ever a massive conflict or so).

Keep the Institute and Synths as a concept, but rewrite them completely.

Give the Institute consistent motives. Either they don't care about the surface or they do. What's the point in them having spies on the surface, if they think the surface world is doomed anyway?

And like, actually give them some technology that isn't related to synths. If these fuckers have been underground for 200 years doing nothing but science, they should have some much cooler shit. And not everything has to revolve around Synths. Like Synth Gorillas and Synth Whales are a bunch of bullshit.

Explain why they need Synths. They seemed to have no practical advantage over conventional robots as they were portrayed in Fallout 4. Why the fuck would they make Artificial Intelligences, if they serve no benefit to anybody involved?

Also, the Synth "debate" should be an actual question, rather than it being obvious. I mean, give us reason to doubt that Synths are people. Maybe there mind works differently, maybe the only reason they feel there real is because they learnt about free will, and had the capacity to question or something. IDK, make it ambigous, saying "There basically humans in pretty much every way" is just lazy, and gives you no reason to doubt that they are people.

Would just complete change the institute faction. Actual make them a decent faction with settlements

Oh my Tzeentch, where to start? Ok, so to fix this game IMO:
- Rewrite the whole pre-war segment. If we are going to establish a backstory, atleast do it properly. Several days spent with family and neighbours to make player care for them. Vault-Tec salesman would only inform us about scheduled training (Ya know, how fast populace would go to the vault etc.)
- Something like 3/4 of v111 frozen inhabitants are dead due to the nature of Cryogenic suspension, not becouse Institute says so :P
- Diamond City considerably expanded beyond the stadium.
- No BoS. Replace them with different similar faction, but no more Brotherhood.
- No Super Mutants! Or atleast MUCH better expleanation why are they here, or rewrite completely their bahaviour.
- Institute behaving more like actual scientist not mole people.
- Railroad acting more lika general anti-slavery movement not just violent Synths rights activists.
- No bottle caps. Civilization moved on, some proper currency should be brought up at this point.
- Gunners as the secondary/primary antagonist faction that is joinable.
- No lore f**k ups, seriously it drives my nuts, how much this games spits on the original lore.
- etc. etc.

BTW, quite large portion of what the op suggest is actually doable without to much of a hassle (relatively speaking).

Would just complete change the institute faction. Actual make them a decent faction with settlements

I'd like it if the Institute was a bit like the Inner Party from Nineteen Eighty-Four. They're a small elite, oppressive and always watching, yet they've created a society able to survive the post-war world. Only those specially chosen get to be members of the Institute with access to the best technology and standards of living, the rest have to live outside their walls with lesser technologies and must follow the Institute's rules or else they're cast out.

Synths could easily be their security force, or just get rid of the synths and have cyborgs instead.

I'd like it if the Institute was a bit like the Inner Party from Nineteen Eighty-Four. They're a small elite, oppressive and always watching, yet they've created a society able to survive the post-war world. Only those specially chosen get to be members of the Institute with access to the best technology and standards of living, the rest have to live outside their walls with lesser technologies and must follow the Institute's rules or else they're cast out.

Synths could easily be their security force, or just get rid of the synths and have cyborgs instead.

You know, I have a better idea, I think. You want a reason why the Gunners are hostile and terrorizing Boston? Because the Gunners are synths. The Institue sold other settlements synths to be expendable, pre-trained foot soldiers, and in Boston they rebelled and turned raider because they're both greedy and want to be free. The Institute blames the Railroad for this, but it's actually not. The ones that the Railroad helped liberate have all gotten as far away from Mass as quickly as possible.

Back