Fallout: New Vegas/3 Remastered

WeAllFallout

First time out of the vault
Some people just want Fallout: New Vegas Remastered with all the cut content and planned stuff restored. Of course, people say the same thing for Fallout 3 and some people want both of the games remastered.

I can't blame people for wanting a remaster of New Vegas or even 3. I feel like it's mostly because modders want to mod those game because currently they're about at the limit of the engine right now.

Even with that in mind, the chance of Bethesda giving Obsidian the go ahead to remaster either game is minimal at best. Also is the possibility of them messing things up more.

Thoughts?

I really don't think a remake is necessary, however if we instead got FNV but with several years of development then I'd be interested.

Since the cut content and planned stuff to be restored was done by Obsidian since they were the ones that made the game, that's not happening. And if it was going to happen, i don't want current Obsidian and specially not Bethesda to touch that.

Do whatever you want with Fallout 3 though, couldn't give less of a shit if they remastered that pile of crap. If anything, i would laugh my ass off if the remaster was botched, and hear the cries of anguish as a bunch Bethesda drones cry that Bethesda butchered their precious Fallout 3.

Last edited:
I'd welcome a HD remaster of both for Switch.
I think if you do one, you may as well do the other as the core engine for both is basically identical.

It's doubtful cut content would be restored however. I see folks saying that current Obsidian shouldn't touch it which I find kinda stupid, I mean Josh Sawyer is still there, plus Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are there now, I'm sure they will lap up the chance to work on Fallout again.
Tim Cain has basically tried to do Fallout since he left Black Isle Studio.
I'm pretty sure John Gonzalez would be happy to be brought back as a consultant or so. So the elements are all there or can easily be brought back.

I'm also pretty sure that Microsoft could easily force Bethesda to allow Obsidian to work on a director's cut (it'll be a case of 'Mum said it's my turn to play with Fallout').
In fact, if my own speculation is true and Bethesda are working on a new engine, then a remaster/Director's cut for both may be needed to A. Keep the franchise momentum going and B. To generate money while the Company is essentially on hold.

I see folks saying that current Obsidian shouldn't touch it which I find kinda stupid
Given what they have released since 2015, no, it's not stupid in the slightest. I don't want current Obsidian to touch Fallout. Not even Tim and Leonard are what they used to be given how underwhelming the Outer Worlds was. And Leonard was a key designer on Diablo 3 as well, which is just gross.

Given what they have released since 2015, no. I don't want current Obsidian to touch Fallout. Not even Tim and Leonard are what they used to be given how underwhelming the Outer Worlds was. And Leonard was a key designer on Diablo 3, which is just gross.

The cut content for New Vegas is all there however, it's not 2015 Obsidian, it's 2010 Obsidian.
There may be changes here and there, but it will for the most part be exactly on par with 2010 Obsidian.

Plus their more recent stuff has been pretty well regarded.

The cut content for New Vegas is all there however
Not all of it given that a lot of it was most likely unfinished. They are not just gonna release a bunch of clearly unfinished content. And current Obsidian finishing it? Even just the finishing touches can hurt content in a major way.

Plus their more recent stuff has been pretty well regarded.
They haven't been panned, but they haven't been praised all that well as well. As soon as the honeymoon phase for Outer Worlds ended people noticed just how underwhelming the game is, specially if you compare it to New Vegas which was unfinished mind you. Their content since 2015 is a far cry from what they released in New Vegas and prior to it.

Most of the brains behind the celebrated RPGs of the late 90s to mid 2000s seem to have fallen off of the wagon. Tim, Leonard and Brian Mitsoda in particular. Is it cynical to view it in a such way? Yeah, but the content they have released hasn't inspired any confidence to me. It's just been decent at best, and Fallout shouldn't be decent at best.

Not all of it given that a lot of it was most likely unfinished. They are not just gonna release a bunch of clearly unfinished content. And current Obsidian finishing it? Even just the finishing touches can hurt content in a major way.

They haven't been panned, but they haven't been praised all that well as well. As soon as the honeymoon phase for Outer Worlds ended people noticed just how underwhelming the game is, specially if you compare it to New Vegas which was unfinished mind you. Their content since 2015 is a far cry from what they released in New Vegas and prior to it.

Most of the brains behind the celebrated RPGs of the late 90s to mid 2000s seem to have fallen off of the wagon. Tim, Leonard and Brian Mitsoda in particular. Is it cynical to view it in a such way? Yeah, but the content they have released hasn't inspired any confidence to me. It's just been decent at best, and Fallout shouldn't be decent at best.

I'm going to be honest with you, Obsidian may be my favourite game company, but they aren't THAT good, no company is THAT good.
We say current Obsidian like it's a shadow of it's former self and honestly, it's much of the same.

The only game prior to New Vegas that is considered a classic is Knights of the old Republic 2, and again, that took about a decade to reach the cult success that it has now
Same with New Vegas, when it was first released, it was considered a step down from 3 by a lot of folks in the mainstream, it wasn't until Fallout 4 got released 5 years later where we saw a resurgence in popularity.

The other two Obsidian games prior to New Vegas don't receive as much attention. Neverwinter Nights was overshadowed by its predecessor and Alpha Protocol may as well be lost to time.

Playing Outer worlds, the only thing that feels different is the engine, the writing and gameplay is there. At times, The Outer worlds has better writing than New Vegas, mostly because it feels like they've fixed some of the mistakes from that game.

Heck, even Black Isle Studios wasn't perfect.
We only really remember them for Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment with Icewind Dale being overshadowed by Baldur's Gate.

In all, Obsidian have only really released 2 games that are considered best of the best, and those took years to achieve that success.

I think technology needs to develop further before I'd call for a New Vegas remake. New Vegas would be serviced better by a remake if it allowed them to show true scale and worldbuilding. Heaving crowds through the streets of Freeside, The Strip etc

Something akin to Fallout 4: New Vegas seems massively pointless to me.

We say current Obsidian like it's a shadow of it's former self and honestly, it's much of the same.
Hard ass disagree here. Obsidian is a shadow of its former self compared to what they used to release. And what they used to release was unfinished most of the time, making their recent output of games that had all the time in world to be worked on look even worse.

it was considered a step down from 3 by a lot of folks in the mainstream
The mainstream are a bunch of Bethesda fanboys, which opinions can be thrown in the trash bin. They wouldn't know what Fallout stands for even if you explain everything in minute detail. They think Fallout is shooting and exploring destroyed places and since New Vegas doesn't focus on that, they thought it was worse.

it wasn't until Fallout 4 got released 5 years later where we saw a resurgence in popularity.
Not really? It was already far better received than Fallout 3 before Fallout 4 was even announced. The Ultimate Edition came out in 2012 and it has very high scores on stuff like Steam and GOG compared to Fallout 3.

Playing Outer worlds, the only thing that feels different is the engine, the writing and gameplay is there. At times, The Outer worlds has better writing than New Vegas, mostly because it feels like they've fixed some of the mistakes from that game.
The writing is definitely not there, that's the problem with it. A lot of it feels undercooked, like a lot is missing. Even New Vegas having stuff like the Legion feeling incomplete, it still gives far more context to its world and characters than the Outer Worlds does.

Heck, even Black Isle Studios wasn't perfect.
We only really remember them for Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment with Icewind Dale being overshadowed by Baldur's Gate.
Icewind Dale has been getting its due in the last 10 years and Planescape and Fallout 2 are some of the most celebrated CRPGs in gaming. I'll take two of those instead of a string of at best average games that fail to capture what their prior games did.

My point is that older Obsidian games being made on short development time somehow still being better than the current Obsidian games that are not made on a tight development time is proof that Obsidian has fallen off. Specially because major players that used to work on the older games are gone from the company.

Sorry but that is an absurd statement. Outer Worlds is extremely poor in many aspects, both in the gameplay (i.e whether it be the """RPG""" character system, the combat or the map design) and the writing. Which, when it isn't being obnoxiously farcical is bone-dry and uninspired. There's no inbetween.

I think technology needs to develop further before I'd call for a New Vegas remake. New Vegas would be serviced better by a remake if it allowed them to show true scale and worldbuilding. Heaving crowds through the streets of Freeside, The Strip etc

Something akin to Fallout 4: New Vegas seems massively pointless to me.
That's a very good point. Modders are already working on Fallout 4: New Vegas anyways.

Do you have any evidence for this, or is it just “because the engine is old and sucks”. Because it’s been that way for 20 years now, I don’t see them changing anytime soon.

No evidence, it's more just I really hope Microsoft go 'please make a new engine'

After the disaster of 76, Microsoft won't want a repeat of it.
Plus with People now noticing the flaws with the engine, they won't be able to get away with it much longer.
Especially with another console generation now here, everything is going against them reusing the same engine.

I'm not expecting they'll make a remake or remaster to be honest. They're probably going to continue with the new systems they have in place because gamers today won't appreciate things like weapon condition, or feeling constrained in maxing their character out. That's just the way tastes have changed the last decade. Besides, there's F4NV which, if it doesn't go down another modding failure like we saw recently, would probably be a better remaster than anything Bethesda would bother with.

Fallout 3 deserves a remaster. New Vegas doesn't.

Good to see you kicking around in other threads.

Hate remakes and remasters.
They should just hire the team again and let them finish and rather a second print make a re-release.

Last thing I want is a fallout sullied with the f4 spaghetti engine

Back