Fallout Revelation Blue: Van buren remake for New Vegas

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
Revelation_Blue_Main_Menu.png

Just saw this newly announced total conversion for New Vegas that attempts to recreate Van Buren.

Revelation Blue is planning to set the player in the year 2253, and it will be considering the events of all Fallout games after Tactics as non-canon (Even though they aren't officially.). One of the main selling points of Fallout 1 and 2 is giving the player freedom to do whatever they want, with a huge selection of choices for roleplaying, and offering many hub worlds for the player to explore in. And we wish to take the best elements of those games, in our recreation of the cancelled Fallout 2 sequel, Van Buren. We want to add in all the classic weapons of Fallout 2, and remake them exactly how they were.

At the moment, the mod is still a W.I.P (Work in progress). We have came up with several ideas, what we need for the project, how we should do that, how to do this, and so on. But we are nowhere next to finishing the project. Which is why we are currently recruiting people for the project! Keep in mind this is a passion project, and no one will be paid.

As of now, we are recruiting people skilled or know how to properly use the GECK, and Coders. We also need map makers, Individuals skilled with level design, and ones experienced with making quests. Apply for recruitment in the #recruitment-application channel in our Discord, where after reading the welcome message you can then begin to be interviewed. And on a side note; Please understand that if you wish to apply as a writer, we want you to be unbiased about what you are writing, take criticism seriously. Being unprofessional about the mod, and acting ignorant and selfish in general will result in the project leads forcing you to leave the project.

We plan to release a demo featuring Tibbets Prison Facility, where the player will go through a demo sized quest, getting to know what to expect from the mod, and what type of content will be in the mod. This will not release soon, as it depends on how much people dedicate time to working on this project. We will release a brand new Nexus mod page for the Demo quest mod, and put our updated work there in the future.

Q: Will the mod use vanilla New Vegas Mechanics?

A: For now, yes. But if we take permission from some mod authors, we will merge them with the mod and there will be a "enhanced version."

Q: Will this mod be a prequel/ take place for FNV?

A: No, but we will make a patch where after you finish the game you will have an option to start New Vegas separately.

Q: Will there be any DLC or extra content planned?

A: Yes, but they aren't a priority. After/If we finish the project and fix bugs, then we will add DLC, as we already have several ideas for them, such as new weapon ideas, new locations (Los Angeles), and familiar factions.

Q: Will the mod be compatible for linux in the future?

A: Potentially. If we can make it comparable, than we will. But as of now, we don't know.

Q: What about FNV itself? And weren't characters and factions meant to be in both games too?

A: The mod won't treat FNV as cannon. We originally were, but seeing how FNV and Van Buren have many of the same characters, factions, story and lore, we've decided that it would be best to make the story take place during 2253, and make all the future events of FNV non-canon.

Q: What's the current status of the mod in?

A: Like we said, this mod is still a work in progress (W.I.P.)

Q: Why don't you just call the mod Fallout Van buren remake? Seems weird not to call it that.

A: It is weird. But the reason is because we can suffer from potential copyright from InXile, the owners of the van buren name, and name only. Fallout: yesterday could have suffered from this, and changed their name to what it is now.

Q: How do I access the mod? I started a new game and I'm still in the Mojave.

A: Go to Goodsprings Graveyard, and go to the door there. If you run across an invisible wall after entering the mod, type in “tcl” in the console commands.

If you have any other questions for the mod, please ask in our discord, and stay safe Wastelanders!

A concept art for one of the two main armors , and this one is the Plague Survivalist Armor for the mod, enjoy!

Revelation_Blue_Main_Menu.png

I'm interested in seeing Tibbets rendered for my own reasons but I'm doubtful this will go hugely far.

You never know, though.

I will always have high hopes for any Fallout fan game -- I love New California and followed it since its' Project Brazil days, I played Fallout: Nevada and had a blast, I played Fallout: Resurrection and loved it (but could not finish it due to a bug), and I'm actively following Fallout: Yesterday and have played the current release for hours...

For this project, all we have is a teaser trailer so far, but I'm still excited to see how this is going to end up. The Van Buren story is always one I've wanted to experience, especially since the game was 90% finished before it was cancelled, and the design documents were leaked. Listening to Retcon Raider read them made my imagination run wild and eager to play the game and explore the places detailed in each of the documents.

Actually, from what I remember from articles, Van Buren was far from being finished.
It was not just "a couple more months".

While I am probably one of the loudest voices here on the forums that still mourns that Van Buren got cancelled along with Black Isle's ideas for a Fallout 4, I also think we should not raise our hopes too much on this TC recreating what the original team had in mind. Let alone if it ever gets finished at all.

I myself don't think that FNV is a good basis to recreate Van Buren in.
The project that is going on in one of the forums is much closer to what Van Buren was going to be like.

If it were only possible to use all the energy we spend here discussing Van Buren and Fallout, to make a Fallout game of our own.

I would rather people spend their time helping Hardboiled wanderer and the guy who is making Fallout yesterday then help make this. Not trying to be a dick. I just don't think the NV engine is a good fit for VB. But knowing how dumb the Fallout community is; this will probably get more attention.

I would rather people spend their time helping Hardboiled wanderer and the guy who is making Fallout yesterday then help make this. Not trying to be a dick. I just don't think the NV engine is a good fit for VB. But knowing how dumb the Fallout community is; this will probably get more attention.
now to be fair, skill in modding gamebryo probably doesn't translate well to modding the Fallout engine or building an engine from scratch as Hardboiled Wanderer is doing.

Hi im JoacoN, one of the devs for the mod.
I wanted to comment that the project has been going pretty well, most of it is still in pre production, but theres still work being for asset creation and test maps.
Right now the team is centering in writing, and with help from the Lead Dev im making a Van Buren site to store all the information related to it (development documents, videos, tests, developer interviews, etc...)

Thanks for chiming in to confirm this isn't dead. Can I ask how in terms of "canon" are you planning to go? Obviously a lot of Van Buren got rewritten for NV, so are you planning to go more faithful recreation, or making some attempt to make it fit into NV (if that even makes sense).

Total aside, but do you know of any Nifscope/script tutorials for creating automatic leg adjustments for the player model's leg & foot placement? Where it adjusts for curbs and other minor elevations underfoot on the terrain?

Thanks for chiming in to confirm this isn't dead. Can I ask how in terms of "canon" are you planning to go? Obviously a lot of Van Buren got rewritten for NV, so are you planning to go more faithful recreation, or making some attempt to make it fit into NV (if that even makes sense).

Well for the current development plans, its leaning more to a faithful recreation style. Its not going to include the FNV interpretation of Van Burens story, but rather, the original one expanded with new elements. Obviously things had to be changed to accomodate for the different gameplay perspective, but its still respecting the original direction.
Another thing to note is that the mod isnt going to have an open world like the newer fallout games, but something more akin to the older ones, were places are divided by areas and you can use caravans or cars to travel. This lets you create more detailed areas consuming less resources, while also making sure we dont overscope by adding needless locations and mechanics for the open world

Total aside, but do you know of any Nifscope/script tutorials for creating automatic leg adjustments for the player model's leg & foot placement? Where it adjusts for curbs and other minor elevations underfoot on the terrain?

Well thats something im not experienced in as im mostly working in art and writing, but theres a very good GDC talk about procedual animation being utilised for small adjustments:

I hope its useful

Well for the current development plans, its leaning more to a faithful recreation style. Its not going to include the FNV interpretation of Van Burens story, but rather, the original one expanded with new elements. Obviously things had to be changed to accomodate for the different gameplay perspective, but its still respecting the original direction.
Another thing to note is that the mod isnt going to have an open world like the newer fallout games, but something more akin to the older ones, were places are divided by areas and you can use caravans or cars to travel. This lets you create more detailed areas consuming less resources, while also making sure we dont overscope by adding needless locations and mechanics for the open world
That sounds pretty cool actually. There was a mod like that called Salt Lake City stories where he had like a map system where you like drove a car or something it was cool. Does that mean I can expect an angry Joshua Graham/Hanged Man?

That sounds pretty cool actually. There was a mod like that called Salt Lake City stories where he had like a map system where you like drove a car or something it was cool. Does that mean I can expect an angry Joshua Graham/Hanged Man?

Yep, Joshua is going to have his Hanged Man personality from Van Buren.

That mod sounds cool, I should play it later.

I wanted to comment that the project has been going pretty well, most of it is still in pre production, but theres still work being for asset creation and test maps.
Right now the team is centering in writing, and with help from the Lead Dev im making a Van Buren site to store all the information related to it (development documents, videos, tests, developer interviews, etc...)
Thanks for coming on here!

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/79310

Hello everybody again! Its me, JoacoN, and I come with news.
Our 3D Modeller, Webb Productions Entertainment, created a mod compiling all the armors made so far for the mod.
Hope yall enjoy them, they can be found in a truck inside Goodsprings.
You might also notice theres armor for a group called "Changedor", wrote by me, so if you have any questions of how they will fit with previously established lore, ask the team! Either replying to this thread or by joining the discord.

See you later, and good day.

Back