Fallout76 Language Changer (MS Store Version)

Limpster

First time out of the vault
2549-1717695899-610860740.png

Hey fellow Vault Dwellers,

got Fallout 76 for Gamepass and I wanted to play it in english, unfortunately there is no setting to change the localization in the game or via a launcher. After some google-fu I always read the same (mostly not working or impractical) solutions/recommendations (changing the whole regional setting for Windows manually which also changes date/time, currency etc., changing the whole system language, changing Gamepass/Store country in your Microsoft account, even using VPN etc.[1], [2], [3]) which sounded a little over the top or wasn't working at all and I couldn't find a simple and easy solution.

This language changer will edit the regional language setting in the Windows registry to a chosen value without altering any formatting (date, currency, etc.), system or input language itself and will revert the language string back to default after your game session has ended. Only the String for "LocaleName" will be changed, all the currency, date/time and formatting settings will remain the same.
Since Fallout 76 (and maybe other Gamepass-PC titles, e.g. Forza 4 seem to have the same "problem") run only in the language set in the regional language settings of Windows, I thought about making it a hassle-free and easy process without clicking trough the Windows regional settings and reverting them manually after each session.

What this script does:
  • read out the current region language of the system
  • change the region language to a different one (e.g. english)
  • launch Fallout 76
  • revert the language back to default after quitting Fallout 76
Steam-Users and BethesdaLauncher users might not need this language changer as they can change the language in their respective launchers as far as I know (since I don't own the Steam/Bethesda Launcher Version, I am not able to help users with these launchers but you can get in touch with me and work on it together)

I hope this little script helps you to enjoy the game in another language (also, I heard that some quest with a poem was translated incorrectly and thus it's not working propery for some other languages than english)

Some brave souls tested it already (and commented on my post in reddit), so I am confident it works.

It's a simple batch-file, you can read everything about it (and of course download it) from my github:
https://github.com/Limpster/Fallout76LanguageChanger

tl;dr
Download "Fallout 76 Language Changer.bat" (right-click and save) and run it. If it doesn't work, read the instructions on the github page for this script

I did approve the thread after reviewing the bat file contents, but I do encourage anyone who downloads anything off Github to do the same before executing it on your machine. If you don't know what you're looking at just ask for help. Stay safe everyone.

Also, welcome to the forum Limpster! Great first contribution.

Thank you for approving, indeed I should have added a disclaimer. I hope my comments (REM) inside the batch-file explain what the file is doing to clarify what is happening (additional to the github explanations in the full read-me).
Finally I could also contribute a little to the community, was a silent reader plenty of years, always happy to come back here for some FO1 and FO2 nostalgia.

Back