First Person Shooter or Isometric Turn Based?

First Person or Isometric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skelok

Mad Man with a Mad Plan
Would you rather the next Fallout game follow the FPS trend, or return to its Isometric roots? Explain your answer.

I'm perfectly happy with fallout as an FPSRPG but only if its still an RPG like NV. Fo4 is just a straight up FPS. And a subpar one, at that. So if you're asking if I want fallout to keep going the way it's going (I.E. regressing like there's no tomorrow) then no. The best fallout games are well written and set in well built and believable worlds. The genre and perspective are of secondary importance to that, IMO.

/Edit: You really should add an "either or" answer.
/Edit2: thanks.

Last edited:
Since going for FPS is to a large part what killed the series, the answer is obvious. NV was worse off for being an FPS.

First Person perspective in and of itself isn't the biggest problem. You could easily have FPP exploration and pull the camera up for combat or have blobber style FPP/TB combat like Wizardry 8 or M&M 6, but FPS combat is simply a bad choice and unfit for purpose.

Last edited:
Since going for FPS is what killed the series, the answer is obvious. NV was worse off for being an FPS.

First Person perspective in and of itself isn't the biggest problem. You could easily have FPP exploration and pull the camera up for combat or have blobber style FPP/TB combat like Wizardry 8 or M&M 6, but FPS combat is simply a bad choice and unfit for purpose.

Could you elaborate? Why is the first person perspective inherently bad for combat?

Could you elaborate? Why is the first person perspective inherently bad for combat?

Sure. I said the perspective isn't inherently bad and gave a couple of examples on why not. First Person Shooter combat is the problem.

Sure. I said the perspective isn't inherently bad and gave a couple of examples on why not. First Person Shooter combat is the problem.

Uh, yeah, I know. Did you read my whole reply? I asked why you think it's bad for combat.

Uh, yeah, I know. Did you read my whole reply? I asked why you think it's bad for combat.

I read it and responded in kind. The perspective isn't "inherently bad for combat" (that is what you asked, literally) as you can have different methods of utilizing said perspective for combat purposes. The two examples I gave are both in first person and have first person combat, but neither is a first person shooter.

Last edited:
Crap, sorry. Didn't realize there was already a similar thread, and semi-active at that. Should I delete this one?

Edit - can you even delete posts
Just ask the mods to merge this thread with the other one, if it's even possible with an ongoing poll.

Or maybe merged that thread into this one.

It depends on what's the role of your PC.

If he is the front line soldier or errand boy, then FPS makes sense
If he is a team leader of a trained mercenary/BoS knights, then until the game AI is as smart as AlphaGo, turn base would be the way to go.
If he is the elder of BoS or head of an organization, then it should be a turn base strategy

In short, the higher your ranks is, the longer your respond time would be. And there for, promotion to Elder/head paladin should be in ending slide ONLY as it is weird to see a head of whatever doing all chores while his subordinates just standing around watching.

I don't like the idea of FPS much. On the other hand, isometric can be somewhat limiting exploration wise.

In my vision of perfect Fallout sequel, the camera would from the third person perspective, but be very movable. Think something like Dragon Age Origins - where you can zoom the camera close on the character, and look at the surroundings up close.
However, as soon as combat engages, the camera goes up to isometric position (where it can also be kept as default at all times). Precision shots/VATS could also work here since you could zoom on the enemy character - think of new XCOM games.

So in essence it works and plays out like a classic Fallout game, but you have a very flexible POV that allows for more immersion when exploring the open world.

On the other hand, just default isometric is perfect. I mean, look at this.

1412112082079584837.jpg

I really like either depending on how good the game is.

I think Fallout 1&2 are fantastic games, some of the best I've played, yet New Vegas just plays better.

I guess combat is more intense when you're in the first person screen, you feel like you're actually being shot and your player can kind of feel it while in isometric, it's just another character on screen getting hurt.

At the same time, turn based can be just as intense as you don't know what is going to happen, leading you to be a few steps ahead at all times.

Exploration is also a lot better in first person, but the World of Fallout just leads itself better to isometric, as you find the FPS rather limiting.

It's a mixed bag honestly, I'll take either one.

I don't like the idea of FPS much. On the other hand, isometric can be somewhat limiting exploration wise.

In my vision of perfect Fallout sequel, the camera would from the third person perspective, but be very movable. Think something like Dragon Age Origins - where you can zoom the camera close on the character, and look at the surroundings up close.
However, as soon as combat engages, the camera goes up to isometric position (where it can also be kept as default at all times). Precision shots/VATS could also work here since you could zoom on the enemy character - think of new XCOM games.

So in essence it works and plays out like a classic Fallout game, but you have a very flexible POV that allows for more immersion when exploring the open world.

On the other hand, just default isometric is perfect. I mean, look at this.

1412112082079584837.jpg
I wish my FO2 looks as cool as this......

Now you mentioned the VATS. How about that: Team command phase in isometric, "execution" phase in FPS. the length of your "turn" depends on your AP regeneration rate.

There is much more to be said about turn-based and first person combat, but not that the one is better than another. And i don't think either of them is obsolete or meant to be mainsteam in the first place (one is factually, although) It depends on the player mindset. The comparison that currently comes to my mind is between sport and board games. The former is messy and sweaty, but can provide some rush of adrenaline the whole way and but the brain to rest. The latter is more about decision making and exploring more complex possibility. It is much less messy, but provide a more discontinued amount of adrenaline, and you can't put your brain to rest. There will always be people fond of board games (there seems to be even more than a few years before) and there will always be people fond of sport. So i guess there will always be player interested in both kind of combat system. Although, that doesn't mean that players will play both. It will depends on some developer trying to cater the secondary player base and the quality of their product.

IMO, turn-based fit more with Fo1-Fo2-FoT-FoNV version of Fallout that is more about planning and decision making, while first person fit more with Fo3 and FoBos (didn't play Fo4) as they are more about sport and rush of adrenaline than about planning and decision making. So, i think that FoBOS should have been 1st Person and FoNV should have been isometric and turn-based.

I don't really mind Fallout 3 and 4 being FPS/TPS based. The atrocious dialouge and quests (Especially FO4's quests) they both included I do mind. A direct sequel to New Vegas made by Obsidian in a modern engine would be my dream for the next Fallout game.

Fuck it, why not do both?

It shouldn't be too hard to make a setting which changes the game from one to the other.

There is much more to be said about turn-based and first person combat, but not that the one is better than another.

There sure is. For example, here's both in one package:

(Yeah, I know what you meant. But I couldn't help it.)

Not sure why it is being discussed, it is fine to think about it but we will never ever get another Isometric Fallout. Fallout is dead especially the Isometric part, you just see a serial killer pealed its skin off, walks around with it and pretends it is Fallout.

Back