Five Common Misconceptions about Fallout: The Series

I tried watching the video but the guy is a moron. I can't stand it. Could you post the 5 misconceptions?

It's actually Nine Misconceptions and I wish they'd named it that

1. That Vault-Tec launched the nukes
2. That Cooper is Vault Boy
3. That NCR was nuked in 2177
4. That the Enclave Dog is Dogmeat
5. The NCR is destroyed
6. That's not the Prydwen
7. There's any good guys in the show
8. Lucy Never Swears
9. That the show's major plot is wrapped up

Last edited:
It's actually Nine Misconceptions and I wish they'd named it that

1. That Vault-Tec launched the nukes
2. That Cooper is Vault Boy
3. That NCR was nuked in 2077
4. That the Enclave Dog is Dogmeat
5. The NCR is destroyed
6. That's not the Prydwen
7. There's any good guys in the show
8. Lucy Never Swears
9. That the show's major plot is wrapped up

1. If Vault-Tec didn't nuke the United States then why are there so many craters? Those would only be produced by underground detonations, which is something only Vault-Tec would do. It's also consistent with Hank's nuking of Shady Sands, which produced a big crater.

2. Cooper is definitely the basis of Vault Boy. The whole point is that they appropriated his image when he cut ties with Vault-Tec. Nobody thinks he's "literally" Vault Boy and it's stupid to act as if that's the problem.

3. It doesn't matter if it was nuked or not, the chalkboard says the date of Shady Sands's fall begins in 2077. That wasn't the beginning of the fall of Shady Sands that was the beginning of the fall of the NCR. 2077 is when Caesar's Legion moved in to Fort Hill and started the First Battle of Hoover Dam. It's four years before the events of New Vegas and the 2nd BoHD, yet the chalkboard doesn't mention the war with Caesar at all, it points directly to the nuking. It's blatantly a continuity error, because we can see in the end credits that library cards are last dated in 2076. The show runners thought NCR was nuked in 2077 and got it wrong, or else the production crew wouldn't have done that.

4. Cooper named Wilzig's dog "Dogmeat," therefore she's Dogmeat. That's her name. I don't understand how that's misconcepting anything. Or maybe the theory is that the cyberdogs are based on Dogmeat's original genetic line? That's the kind of stupid interpersonal twist I'd expect from the show runners. Dogmeat is exactly the kind of name Ghoul Cooper would give a dog too! It's in-character!

5. The NCR is absolutely destroyed, or else Sorrel wouldn't be able to declare himself "president" and try collecting taxes with a handful of goons in police uniforms. The NCR also banned slavery and wouldn't have tolerated an organ harvesting operation.

6. It's the Prydwen. It says on the side of the ship that it's literally "Prydwen." Doesn't matter if that was another production error or what. It does make sense for it to be the Prydwen though because they're dispatching knights on direct orders from the high clerics.

7. What does that mean? Lucy is obviously meant to be interpreted as a "good guy" even if she's naive. You could certainly conclude Wilzig is a good guy since he sacrificed himself to literally give the power to the people. Just because almost everyone is written to be morally stupid doesn't mean there aren't any morally sound actors.

8. Who cares?

9. The major plot is for sure as fuck not "wrapped up." We still don't actually know anything about Moldaver or what she was planning, or basically any other faction or character besides the main ones. The show explains nothing. It creates plot threads only to leave all of them either dangling or exterminated before anything is even done with them, and it doesn't actually explain anything about what the Brotherhood or Moldaver's followers believe. We literally see a cult ritual and all it tells us about their beliefs is a bunch of cryptic bullshit. The entire season was just a setup for a reveal that breaks the entire setting and timeline, and completely undermines all of the themes and theses of the games - even Bethesda's.

1. If Vault-Tec didn't nuke the United States then why are there so many craters? Those would only be produced by underground detonations, which is something only Vault-Tec would do. It's also consistent with Hank's nuking of Shady Sands, which produced a big crater.

The bombs in Fallout come from planes, not ICBMs.

2. Cooper is definitely the basis of Vault Boy. The whole point is that they appropriated his image when he cut ties with Vault-Tec. Nobody thinks he's "literally" Vault Boy and it's stupid to act as if that's the problem.

I mean, the video talks about them replacing him with a cartoon after he's blacklisted.

3. It doesn't matter if it was nuked or not, the chalkboard says the date of Shady Sands's fall begins in 2077. That wasn't the beginning of the fall of Shady Sands that was the beginning of the fall of the NCR. 2077 is when Caesar's Legion moved in to Fort Hill and started the First Battle of Hoover Dam. It's four years before the events of New Vegas and the 2nd BoHD, yet the chalkboard doesn't mention the war with Caesar at all, it points directly to the nuking. It's blatantly a continuity error, because we can see in the end credits that library cards are last dated in 2076. The show runners thought NCR was nuked in 2077 and got it wrong, or else the production crew wouldn't have done that.

Unless the Fall of NCR is tied to the War in the Mojave.

5. The NCR is absolutely destroyed, or else Sorrel wouldn't be able to declare himself "president" and try collecting taxes with a handful of goons in police uniforms. The NCR also banned slavery and wouldn't have tolerated an organ harvesting operation.

Except that absolutely says that it exists because it makes him an NCR Remnant. Moldaver is also leading an NCR Remnant from Griffith Observatory.

Also, NCR had slavery in Fallout 2. There's the Hub and Vault City, both of which they're trying to recruit.

6. It's the Prydwen. It says on the side of the ship that it's literally "Prydwen." Doesn't matter if that was another production error or what. It does make sense for it to be the Prydwen though because they're dispatching knights on direct orders from the high clerics.

They could have built another one. Tactics had dozens of airships.

Also, NCR had slavery in Fallout 2. There's the Hub and Vault City, both of which they're trying to recruit.

Except Vault City was independent and had slavery before the NCR absorbed them. And when do they mention that the Hub has slave trading (not saying they did or didn't, I just can't remember)? If you're saying they had it in FO1... you do realize the NCR as a nation with laws and regulations, didn't exist at that point?

Last edited:
Except Vault City was independent and had slavery before the NCR absorbed them. And when do they mention that the Hub has slave trading (not saying they did or didn't, I just can't remember)? If you're saying they had it in FO1... you do realize the NCR as a nation with laws and regulations, didn't exist at that point?

My bad, that was my mistake. I mean the Den.

For some reason I was conflating the two.

There's the big slave market there.

The rangers were working on taking out the northern slave trade. It's likely that the rangers were sent into the Den because Metzger or whoever would have been in charge likely would not have just stopped and I don't think Vault City would be dumb enough to try and tell the biggest faction around no.

My bad, that was my mistake. I mean the Den.

For some reason I was conflating the two.

There's the big slave market there.
You seem to be dedicated to defending your opinions, which I can respect, but you've had a few mix ups in this thread and others. I'm not trying to be rude, but you may want to replay the first two games thoroughly.

The rangers were working on taking out the northern slave trade. It's likely that the rangers were sent into the Den because Metzger or whoever would have been in charge likely would not have just stopped and I don't think Vault City would be dumb enough to try and tell the biggest faction around no.
If I recall, one of the big concerns for Vault City (more specifically Lynette's) is sovereignty. She even has Roger Westin (an NCR Politician) on her side in order to get that done. If you don't help Vault City with various tasks, including stopping the raids; I believe during the end slides the NCR outright annexes them.

Last edited:
You seem to be dedicated to defending your opinions, which I can respect, but you've had a few mix ups in this thread and others. I'm not trying to be rude, but you may want to replay the first two games thoroughly.

I mean, I could but I don't enjoy them gameplay wise. I enjoy the story not RTS.

If I recall, one of the big concerns for Vault City (more specifically Lynette's) is sovereignty. She even has Roger Westin (an NCR Politician) on her side in order to get that done. If you don't help Vault City with various tasks, including stopping the raids; I believe during the end slides the NCR outright annexes them.

Yes, which is a big argument that NCR isn't the good guys as early as Fallout 2. It's expansionist and isn't afraid to get its hands dirty.

Mind you, they're against slavery.

The Bishops are the people assaulting caravans and doing other nasty business to get Vault City to join.

Subconscious slip since a chunk of the show is pre-war anyways.

yeah it's this. 2277 fits perfectly within the 200 year timeline of the Great War. It's probably the same reason the showrunners made that continuity error.

The bombs in Fallout come from planes, not ICBMs.

So where are the planes? Where are the bombs? Gravity bombs would still have an airburst. You're also wrong because China had nuclear ballistic missile submarines.

I mean, the video talks about them replacing him with a cartoon after he's blacklisted.

Yeah so it's irrelevant.

Unless the Fall of NCR is tied to the War in the Mojave.

Which they're not teaching Shady Sands refugee children about in school? Why isn't the war in the mojave on the chalkboard?

Except that absolutely says that it exists because it makes him an NCR Remnant. Moldaver is also leading an NCR Remnant from Griffith Observatory.

No it doesn't. If Sorrel was an NCR remnant he would have said so. He's a "president" of nothing, shaking down businesses in a lawless region that used to be the very heart of the NCR. Where is the NCR if they're not destroyed? If they weren't destroyed there wouldn't be "remnants."

They could have built another one. Tactics had dozens of airships.

But it's the Prydwen. I don't understand why this is even controversial. It proves that the Brotherhood survived Fallout 4 and the Institute didn't. It's necessary for the canonical structure of the TV show that they establish that, or else there's nothing to explain why the west coast chapter is being controlled from the Commonwealth.

Yes, which is a big argument that NCR isn't the good guys as early as Fallout 2. It's expansionist and isn't afraid to get its hands dirty.

Mind you, they're against slavery.

The Bishops are the people assaulting caravans and doing other nasty business to get Vault City to join.

The point is that the NCR is a modern nation-state with a capitalist political economy, and laws & customs. Nothing at all like the world we see in the TV show. The NCR is gone and Hank blew it up.

I mean, I could but I don't enjoy them gameplay wise. I enjoy the story not RTS.

And that's the problem; you're saying these things as fact when you're not making the attempt to confirm the information. At least look for dialogue and or the end cutscenes to confirm what you're saying.

And that's the problem; you're saying these things as fact when you're not making the attempt to confirm the information. At least look for dialogue and or the end cutscenes to confirm what you're saying.

Yes, I got the name wrong and you have called me out on not bothering to check the wiki.

You've certainly showed me.

images

Yes, I got the name wrong and you have called me out on not bothering to check the wiki.

You've certainly showed me.
You know, I try to be nice, I try to carry over who I am in real life into forums because we all have enough aggravation in our daily lives.

Back