[FO2] I made a chart of weapon damage with and without the YAAM mod

PowerArmoredDeathclaw

First time out of the vault
Hello everyone, first time poster here.
I made a search on Google and on this website but didn't find anything similar, so I made these comparisons myself. I thought that some people here may be interested.
Here is the link: shorturl.at/JQR06 (It leads to Google Sheets, I have to use an URL shortener because typing the link embeds it into the post and it's unreadable)
It is now only for ballistic weapons, but I might do Energy, Melee and Explosive weapons later.
This is very much work in progress, and there are probably many flaws in my calculations due to my inability to do math and spreadsheets, though I think this document can provide a general idea of how things work, even if it is approximate.

The formulae I used were the following:

Vanilla_weapon_damage = (Base_damage - Target_DT) * (1 - [(Target_DR - Ammo_DR) / 100])

YAAM_weapon_damage = (Base_damage - [Target_DT - Ammo_DT]) * (1 - [(Target_DR - Ammo_DR) / 100]) , where Ammo_DR = 10 * (Ammo_DT - Target_DT)

I made sure weapon_damage >= 0, Target_DR - Ammo_DR >= 0 and Ammo_DT - Target_DT >= 0.

I assumed the following:

- No external modifiers like perks/traits
- No AP cost calculations, but I might improve the charts with dmg/AP instead of raw damage
- No critical hit
- No miss in bursts
- I rounded everything down, but I have a feeling that the Weapon Penetrate weapon perk (Target_DT / 5) rounds Target_DT up. It should not make a huge difference anyway.
- I took the average weapon damage, and not the min-max damage range. Some weapons have different damage range, the Sniper Rifle is a good example since its max damage is around 250% its min damage. I know it should be included because it might skew the results, but it's a lot more work. I might do that in the future if I have the time (and mostly motivation).

This spreadsheet also includes the difference between Hollow Point and Full Metal Jacket ammo. I have heard that AP ammo in the base game was terrible, and I quickly confirmed that. Just don't use them, they are not worth using. The YAAM mod is supposed to fix this issue, but unless I made some math mistakes, they don't seem to pull ahead HP ammo. They are way better than in Vanilla sure, but are still inferior or in the best case equal to HP ammo.

Interesting things I learned (people probably know most of these but I don't have a lot of experience in the classic Fallouts)
- Both in Vanilla and YAAM, the Armor Penetrate weapon perk is extremely strong. The weapons in questions are the Needler Pistol, .223 Pistol, and CAWS.
- The 14mm Pistol in its Vanilla version is TERRIBLE. Worse than the already terrible 10mm Pistol in every scenario. YAAM does a great job of reworking its horrendous ammunition to make it a very solid pistol, better than the .44 weapons.
- The CAWS is actually better than the Jackhammer for everything that is armored with more than a petty Leather Armor! Its raw damage is less than the Jackhammer but its inherent Weapon Penetrate perk makes it a superior choice.
- Overall, YAAM improves the damage of almost all ballistic weapons. A couple of exceptions here and there, the Gauss Rifle is actually a bit better in its Vanilla version against targets with extreme DR values (Tough Deathclaws, Enclave PA and Uncle Frank)
- The Vindicator Minigun has the most damage potential in a single (non-aimed, anyway) attack

Let me know what you think, as I said I'm terrible at math and at creating spreadsheets, and I'll take every feedback to make it clearer. Feel free to ask me to do different charts for a better visibility/info relevancy.

Last edited:
Yes the page is wrong.

To know for sure you can download protomanager 1.2.1 and check the file yourself. Its possible there was a change through different versions of game, but as far as I can see right now, weapon accurate is the perk it has.

I was trying to compare formulas, are there any similar charts for other formulas available in sfall?

edit: - I've just tried YAAM and my gauss rifle is critting for exactly 0 damage on the last boss xDDD nice formula lolololo

Back