Fallout 2 mod Frank Horrigan

AR-88

First time out of the vault
AAfter playing trough Fallout series, I decided to do some weird things. One of it is playing F2 using Frank's skin and weapons (with animations). I know some may say this is already made, but I browsed through hundreds of sites with no results. So does any of you know such mod or way to do this? I'm using Killap's RP now.

AAfter playing trough Fallout series, I decided to do some weird things. One of it is playing F2 using Frank's skin and weapons (with animations). I know some may say this is already made, but I browsed through hundreds of sites with no results. So does any of you know such mod or way to do this? I'm using Killap's RP now.

You can use his skin but he only can use his end boss weapons i think because he has not other animations.

You can use his skin but he only can use his end boss weapons i think because he has not other animations.
So mod making this must include hand-made animations of Frank using regular weapons?

One could just copy, paste and rename his energy weapon animation to all the other types. But keep in mind he can't run, so you'd always slowly slog through the maps... not exactly fun to play with.

There is a modern disconnect among many people as to what they are really seeing in games. I have seen people —possibly even modders— be astonished at the graphics quality of 80's titles like Cobra Command, Dragon's Lair, and the like; shocked because of their modern assumptions about what they are seeing. There is often no perceived distinction between 3D and 2D, other than —erroneously that 3D is 'first person', and 2D isn't.

Both of these games are entirely 2D; cobra command is a rail-shooter in the strictest sense. Its gameplay is very close to Missile Command; literally just moving the target reticule to aim, and occasionally using the joystick to indicate a singular choice of motion when called for. The flight path is unchanging except for death animations. Dragon's Lair is essentially the same, properly timed input keeps the composite movie playing; mistakes result in death animations.

In the case of Fallout, Tim Cain has said that they (briefly) considered polygonal 3D for Fallout, but that they could not get the performance they wanted from the target hardware, so they went with 2D sprites. That meant that even though they did the work in 3D and with 16-bit color, (the talking heads, the character bodies, guns, equipment, and the backgrounds), they then rendered all of this work as color reduced sprite sheets for use in the game.

Creating new sprite sheets is labor intensive—presumably even with the original 3D assets, which nobody seems to still have; making them without is a nightmare... but still doable.

There are programs that can be used to speed up modification of the sprite sheets (like Dragonbones), but it might be faster to recreate the 3D asset to generate new sheets, and/or replace the originals.

It's the old days of 2D and very new days of 3D. I remember back in the days people been screaming about asset manpower in games like F2. But if you want to make 3D, cost aside, there's not a lot of people proficient in it back in early 2000s.

I remember that ways back modding sites had Horrigan Armor mod (for Vanilla Fallout2) where you'd simply put on the armor and instantly you had the outside look and resistances of Frank Horrigan. it is not true that Horrigan model uses only end boss weapons. Any non graphically appealng weapons will do such as brass/spiked knuckles, power fist, All knifes weapons, also besides his end boss gun weapon Frank's animations have also big gun animation. (at least i remember a mod where Marcus had Horrigan appearance and Marcus could use bozzar, Laser rifle, Plasma rifle no problem, however miniguns did not work. He probably can hold grenades too, however I'm not certain he could throw them while in Horrigan look. I know most of this stuff from those mods and cpt.Corpse's cheating tool way back before RP was even a thing.

I remember that ways back modding sites had Horrigan Armor mod (for Vanilla Fallout2) where you'd simply put on the armor and instantly you had the outside look and resistances of Frank Horrigan. it is not true that Horrigan model uses only end boss weapons. Any non graphically appealng weapons will do such as brass/spiked knuckles, power fist, All knifes weapons, also besides his end boss gun weapon Frank's animations have also big gun animation. (at least i remember a mod where Marcus had Horrigan appearance and Marcus could use bozzar, Laser rifle, Plasma rifle no problem, however miniguns did not work. He probably can hold grenades too, however I'm not certain he could throw them while in Horrigan look. I know most of this stuff from those mods and cpt.Corpse's cheating tool way back before RP was even a thing.

Frank Horrigans end boss weapons are a plasma knife and a Plasma Gun.
This appearance dont change stats..

Frank Horrigans end boss weapons are a plasma knife and a Plasma Gun.
This appearance dont change stats..

I was talking about a mod, that long time ago vanished from internet, a mod for Vanilla Fallout 2. Mod that added item called "Frank Horrigan's Armor" to Vanilla Fallout 2, it changed the 'look' of the character to Frank Horrigan when worn in armor slot (although inventory picture was a re-used from Advanced Power Armor). this new armor item also mimicked Frank's damage thresholds and resistances.

I said I enabled the mod way back when i had it Plus cpt.Corpse cheating tool and gave myself this marvelous armor. I was able to use all melee weapons with knife animations and all weapons with big-gun animation but no miniguns, and no rocket launchers (only large-weapon big guns and energy weapons) at least for wielding probably this animation set does not have flamer firing animation anyway might as well be the same for non burst attacks and laser/plasma attacks. Not sure anymore. It's been a long time ago.

as a proof check this table out (scroll down to frank)
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Animation_frames

And I have absolutely no idea what other thing were you thinking writing Your comment.

Last edited:
I was talking about a mod, that long time ago vanished from internet, a mod for Vanilla Fallout 2. Mod that added item called "Frank Horrigan's Armor" to Vanilla Fallout 2, it changed the 'look' of the character to Frank Horrigan when worn in armor slot (although inventory picture was a re-used from Advanced Power Armor). this new armor item also mimicked Frank's damage thresholds and resistances.

I said I enabled the mod way back when i had it Plus cpt.Corpse cheating tool and gave myself this marvelous armor. I was able to use all melee weapons with knife animations and all weapons with big-gun animation but no miniguns, and no rocket launchers (only large-weapon big guns and energy weapons) at least for wielding probably this animation set does not have flamer firing animation anyway might as well be the same for non burst attacks and laser/plasma attacks. Not sure anymore. It's been a long time ago.

as a proof check this table out (scroll down to frank)
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Animation_frames

And I have absolutely no idea what other thing were you thinking writing Your comment.

This Armor is easy to make you only need the F2wedit tool. He can use knives because he has the plasma knife animation, and can use some big weapons while he have the plasma gun animation. But he only walk slowly.

The question of the thread beginner was, has he all weapons animations so next time you read better.

Last edited:
No you're the one that needs to read better. In his original post, guy states clearly is it 'at all' possible.
not wehter some animations are missing, and some guy stated wrongly that frank's model can use only his end boss weapons, which is a lie, because frank can use all weapons based on the same animations set he already has, which is all knife weapons and most large-rifle animations, and all unarmed weapons. the guy that stated only end boss weapons gave false impression to the original post guy that weapon choice is limited to two items which agin is a LIE.

Sure he can't use every weapon in the game but it's not impossible to finish the game with this model.

especially if player had Frank's armor thresholds and resistances

No you're the one that needs to read better. In his original post, guy states clearly is it 'at all' possible.
not wehter some animations are missing, and some guy stated wrongly that frank's model can use only his end boss weapons, which is a lie, because frank can use all weapons based on the same animations set he already has, which is all knife weapons and most large-rifle animations, and all unarmed weapons. the guy that stated only end boss weapons gave false impression to the original post guy that weapon choice is limited to two items which agin is a LIE.

Sure he can't use every weapon in the game but it's not impossible to finish the game with this model.

especially if player had Frank's armor thresholds and resistances

He can only use his end game weapons, knifes and big guns are only used because he has the animations for these two...

Fo2_End_Boss_Plasma_Gun.gif
Fo2_End_Boss_Knife.gif

Last edited:
Frank Himself, yes. However OP wanted to know wether he could run player chracter as frank horrigan and that enables him to use:
-all unarmed weapons
-all knife based weapons
-most of the Large-rifle animation weapons (with the exception of flamer because of no firing annimation)

So Frank himself uses only two weapons, Player in Frank's 'hide' can use all of the above (and that's what OP wanted to know).

Long story short: With a little bit of thinkering with modding tools, it *is* possible to *play as* frank horrigan, though the number of builds/possible weapons to use is quite limited [to the stuff i listed above]. Still it isn't impossible, just harder. But it si definetly *not* limited to two weapons as Vali suggested.

Last edited:
Frank Himself, yes. However OP wanted to know wether he could run player chracter as frank horrigan and that enables him to use:
-all unarmed weapons
-all knife based weapons
-most of the Large-rifle animation weapons (with the exception of flamer because of no firing annimation)

So Frank himself uses only two weapons, Playe in Frank's 'hide' can use all of the above (and that's what OP wanted to know).

Long story short: With a little bit of thinkering with modding tools, it *is* possible to *play as* frank horrigan, though the number of builds/possible weapons to use is quite limited [to the stuff i listed above]. Still it isn't impossible, just harder. But it si definetly *not* limited to two weapons as Vali suggested.

You must learn reading...

But i will ignore you, youre the same like this guy(laclongquan) thinking players luck have effect to script and game mechanics.

See? When I said he's not a good gamer, I dont insult him in any way. Just state the fact neutrally, is all.

@Vali @laclongquan

Frankly I don't like neigther of you two. One of you is a wuss that dies from poison and radiation and can't stand criticism, the other spams the forum with whacky ideas that nobody likes, and creates issues with moderators modders. I sencerely hope you both get banned someday, the reason behind banning would be IN<3, as dipped in FEV are not allowed, as forum title says. :p

Last edited:
I didnt watch youtube let's play~ Image LP is taxing as it is~

The idea of Jinxed Luck 2 Unarmed is from Perl, I think. Could be others' idea in the pre-2006 era, so cant say for sure. Maybe here, and maybe at gamefaq's forum.

It's a weird one, and on the face of it doesnt look like a fun play. Turn out you gotta try for yourself to be sure.

Back