Fallout 2 mod Help installing Restoration Project and sfall!

Dargoon

First time out of the vault
Hi, I recently started a FO2 game for the first time. I installed the RP and got to Klamath, but I realized I couldn't highlight containers. I did some research and found out that I need to install the newest sfall, so I did, but then I found out that it can cause problems when installed with the RP. I then panicked and deleted my Fallout 2 folder. I still have the folder from GOG. I just want to know how I'm supposed to do this. Pretty much the only feature that I want that's missing from the RP is the ability of highlight containters/corpses. Please help! I'm new to computer gaming!

Search in google 'Restoration Project Update' or 'Fallout 2 RPU'
person nicknamed 'burn' from this forum made an update wih more recent sfall and keeps updating it.
Latest release afair is v17 with sfall 4.2.7 or was it 4.2.8. anyways don't update to latest 4.2.8.1 manually as it may get over your head, it ain't simple. Just install RPU on top of restoration project + your RPU language localisation if any and go play.

I mean it's on github in case you didn't knew.

Search in google 'Restoration Project Update' or 'Fallout 2 RPU'
person nicknamed 'burn' from this forum made an update wih more recent sfall and keeps updating it.
Latest release afair is v17 with sfall 4.2.7 or was it 4.2.8. anyways don't update to latest 4.2.8.1 manually as it may get over your head, it ain't simple. Just install RPU on top of restoration project + your RPU language localisation if any and go play.

I mean it's on github in case you didn't knew.

Okay, so do I need to reinstall the Restoration Project itself or just install the RPU? Also, do I need to start a new game? Thank you!

Actually I have no idea:p
but i always installed Restoration Project *before* RPU and went from there.
RPU still has it's issues if it's messed too much with so it's best to leave it as is after installation (don't install more stuff on top of it). there's f2_res.ini; ddaw.ini; sfall-mods.ini that you'd like to configure before playing though..
check out the options and set acordingly.

RPU still has it's issues if it's messed too much with so it's best to leave it as is after installation (don't install more stuff on top of it). there's f2_res.ini; ddaw.ini; sfall-mods.ini that you'd like to configure before playing though..

Thanks!!

Okay, new problem. I installed the RP, but when I try to install the RPU, it says that fallout2.exe is not in the selected directory, but it is. I only downloaded the RPU exe, not the .zip. Am I just being dumb?

Okay, new problem. I installed the RP, but when I try to install the RPU, it says that fallout2.exe is not in the selected directory, but it is. I only downloaded the RPU exe, not the .zip. Am I just being dumb?

Here is a screenshot:
upload_2020-10-31_17-22-48.png

Dargoon know what sfall is first. Sfall is a mod that allows modders to improve the game significantly and gives us the ability to update and fix issues in the game. Sfall's current version is 4.2.8.1. In itself it has many features and allows major improvements, including highlighting feature and many other things. All these features are optional. They can be controlled through a file in your fallout 2 directory. The file is called ddraw.ini. It's a text file, you can open and read it and tweak to your liking. You should definitely play the game with Sfall. That's the basic explanation about sfall.

Now follow this order:

1. Install falllout 2. (If your copy is GOG you should know that it comes with an old version of sfall. But you shouldn't rely on this older version.)

2. Next you should install UPU or RPU. UPU stands for "Unofficial Patch Updated". RPU stands for "Restoration Project Updated". UPU is a patch that fixes a lot of issues in the game and is HIGHLY recommended. Restoration project adds new content (cut content that was originally planned to be in the game, so its restoring it). An important note here is that RPU includes ALL the fixes in UPU. So if you install RPU, you don't need to install UPU. If you don't want the Restoration Project content and you only want the fixes then you install UPU. You do not need to install original RP 2.3.3 and then RPU. You just go straight to RPU from basic game install. Currently both UPU and RPU are maintained by the same person (Burn) and use and include latest sfall (more or less). So if you install UPU or RPU you will not need to install sfall separately. It might not come with the absolute latest version of sfall but that's ok, and you can update that separately if you want to but you don't have to. UPU and RPU both come with a few ini files and contain features that can be controlled. you can have a look at their ini files as well and see if there is anything you care about to change. After installing UPU or RPU their should be a folder named "mods" inside of your FO2 folder where you can find these ini files. you can download UPU here and download RPU here. See Right side of screen for download links.

3. Next you might wanna consider installing Fo2tweaks mod which is also by Burn and it also makes further improvements to the game, all optional, including better highlighting feature. You can download Fo2tweaks here.

4. Lastly you should have a look at ini files as I explained above and make sure settings are to your liking. You can also update sfall further if you want if its not the latest version, but again this is minor. It's rather easy as well. But up to you.

Extra tools you might like are the Inventory Filter by Mr.Stalin and the Save Game Editor by Vad.

Save games from basic game are not compatible with RPU so after installing RPU you need to start new game. Also remember not to save during combat. Causes save file corruption.

Last edited:
Dargoon know what sfall is first. Sfall is a mod that allows modders to improve the game significantly and gives us the ability to update and fix issues in the game. Sfall's current version is 4.2.8.1. In itself it has many features and allows major improvements, including highlighting feature and many other things. All these features are optional. They can be controlled through a file in your fallout 2 directory. The file is called ddraw.ini. It's a text file, you can open and read it and tweak to your liking. You should definitely play the game with Sfall. That's the basic explanation about sfall.

Now follow this order:

1. Install falllout 2. (If your copy is GOG you should know that it comes with an old version of sfall. But you shouldn't rely on this older version.)

2. Next you should install UPU or RPU. UPU stands for "Unofficial Patch Updated". RPU stands for "Restoration Project Updated". UPU is a patch that fixes a lot of issues in the game and is HIGHLY recommended. Restoration project adds new content (cut content that was originally planned to be in the game, so its restoring it). An important note here is that RPU includes ALL the fixes in UPU. So if you install RPU, you don't need to install UPU. If you don't want the Restoration Project content and you only want the fixes then you install UPU. You do not need to install original RP 2.3.3 and then RPU. You just go straight to RPU from basic game install. Currently both UPU and RPU are maintained by the same person (Burn) and use and include latest sfall (more or less). So if you install UPU or RPU you will not need to install sfall separately. It might not come with the absolute latest version of sfall but that's ok, and you can update that separately if you want to but you don't have to. UPU and RPU both come with a few ini files and contain features that can be controlled. you can have a look at their ini files as well and see if there is anything you care about to change. After installing UPU or RPU their should be a folder named "mods" inside of your FO2 folder where you can find these ini files. you can download UPU here and download RPU here. See Right side of screen for download links.

3. Next you might wanna consider installing Fo2tweaks mod which is also by Burn and it also makes further improvements to the game, all optional, including better highlighting feature. You can download Fo2tweaks here.

4. Lastly you should have a look at ini files as I explained above and make sure settings are to your liking. You can also update sfall further if you want if its not the latest version, but again this is minor. It's rather easy as well. But up to you.

Extra tools you might like are the Inventory Filter by Mr.Stalin and the Save Game Editor by Vad.

Thanks everyone! I got it figured out! I had to delete both Fallout 2s in the box, so that it just said C:\Games. I don't know why, but it installed!

Back