Help to start playing the Original Fallout Games

ChooChoo

First time out of the vault
Hi there! I'm new to the No Mutants Allowed website and due to this being a place for Fallout 1,2 and Tactics (maybe idk) fans, I wondered if any of you would like to give some tips in starting to play the OG Fallout. Due to me starting with Fallout New Vegas then playing 3 and 4, I might not be able to fully appreciate these games as everyone here has in 1997 and 99.

But I though that you guys could help me with that, like for example: "Here is a fun build to try" or "Try to forget the Bethesda games and play them as though they were in an entirely different universe", etc.

Thank you for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day! :-D

The best advice I can give you is to save every few tiles when fast travelling in order to avoid random encounters, RE's will rape you to death until you get some levels and good equipment.

Hi there! I'm new to the No Mutants Allowed website and due to this being a place for Fallout 1,2 and Tactics (maybe idk) fans, I wondered if any of you would like to give some tips in starting to play the OG Fallout. Due to me starting with Fallout New Vegas then playing 3 and 4, I might not be able to fully appreciate these games as everyone here has in 1997 and 99.

But I though that you guys could help me with that, like for example: "Here is a fun build to try" or "Try to forget the Bethesda games and play them as though they were in an entirely different universe", etc.

Thank you for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day! :-D
This guy on YouTube has a pretty good series of Let's Plays for Fallout 1 and 2 with normal intelligence and low intelligence characters. I think he also has a playthrough of the Shattered Destiny mod as well. Check out the first videos for his build if you want something that will allow you to get through the game or want to see whats in each location.

1. Do not install to default "Program Files" folder
  2. Do not play Fallout 2 unpatched
  3. Do use the unofficial patches (FIXT for F1, Killap's patch or Restoration Project for F2, look in the modding section for these)
  4. Do use more than one save slot
  5. ???
  6. Profit

Most bases covered here
I would emphasize on: Save often, these games will not hold your hand, and there is NO kind of guarantee you'll succeed. FO3 pretty much guarantees it, and you can compare the experience playing on "easy" - this pretty much makes you invulnerable in FO3, while in FO2 you will die, and die horribly, in agony, and repeatedly - so save! And in all of the slots, there's plenty of them so you can use plenty.

With Killap's mod, you will have additional slot-rows also, so save like a madman.

Take armors and weapons seriously, take ammo seriously, take money seriously, in fact, take everything seriously :V And have fun! :V

Back