How do you organize a Fallout 2 modding team?

BrotherhoodOfFallout

First time out of the vault
I just like to say that I admire the amount of work you all put into your Fallout 2 mods, especially that one mod I came across called Fallout 1.5: Resurrection. I hope you don't mind, but I am looking for some guidance from anyone who has more experience with these sort of things than me. When it comes to me making mods, I've always been doing them alone. Takes a very long time for someone to bring a big modding project together, I agree. Other times, they never get completed. The question I want to ask is: How do you organize a team or modding crew for your mod? How would you organize one for a Fallout 2 mod? I'm just asking questions based on my own curiosity to a few fans and geniuses from around the globe.

If you have the capability and determination, do the mod solo, but it will require you to learn mapping, writing, scripting, etc.

Teams can be great for feedback and focus, but people flow at different speeds, and that's not counting on people just disappearing from the mod, and leaving the team hanging.

Lexx is the best one to ask about modding, he's worked on many mods, and often works alone with great results.

This is just my opinion by the way...

Organizing a team is hard work. You need to make yourself aware that every person has a different picture of the game in his mind, which is why proper documentation is a very big thing here. Additionally, this is unpaid work, so you can't just command people around as you please, because then they will lose motivation and do something else instead. Another reason for why proper documentation is very important- this way you are making sure that everyone is on the same page with the vision you have (thus there is no need to command people around).
It also helps to setup a kind of staging plan... What's supposed to be done first, what's the next item on the list, etc.. this way you can keep everything in order and in a flow. Once everyone starts doing whatever they want, you get lots of bugs at best and never ending chaos at worst, because stuff won't fit together.

Oh yeah, and it's hard to assemble a (motivated) team in the first place. Folks with skills will usually want to work on their own visions, so you need to have a great concept to lure them in... this is not easy at all. You know all these big mod teams releasing super cool stuff? That's the exception, not the rule.

It's one of the reasons for why - as @.Pixote. wrote - I usually keep working alone. This way I can stay on my own pace, don't have to bother about motivating other people and don't have to constantly force myself to document everything. Obviously the big drawback is that you need to know everything, you are MUCH slower, you are prone to losing motivation once there is something blocking you (or your creativity), etc... Everything has its pros and cons.

Back