I finished my first campaign in the Fallout RPG

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
Just thought I'd share that:

* It's set in Tampa, Florida

* It's set 30 years after the apocalypse.

* It has Hubologists due to the presence of Scientology in the RL version. They have inexplicable access to Zetan technology.

* The Enclave was supposed to evacuate from Cape Canaveral to their moon base but a revolt by the US military prevented it, thus screwing over their entire plan to nuke the world then settle Mars.

* Deathclaws don't exist in Florida but Gatorclaws are everywhere.

* The Brotherhood of Steel exists in Florida but that's because planes still exist in my setting. Not many but enough to allow limited travel. Ditto ships.

* There's not many Vaults in Florida due to the fact, well, there's only so many places above sea level.

* I incorporated NukaWorld from Fallout 4 as a 1:1 for Disneyworld and just ignored canon on its location.

* There's a Florida Republic analog because my players aren't very familiar with Fallout so I don't mind stealing and ripping off the setting.

* Mutants created by Vault-Tec experiments exist but no Super Mutants yet.

* I use a lot of in-game footage for atmosphere.

* I may flat out make a mutant "Klan" as a Raider gang living out of the swamp because sometimes you just need people to fucking shoot.

Klan as in clan?

As in Ku Klux white sheet Super Mutant NukaShine hillbillies. Guys who think that it's all the city folk who are the problem for real Americans like themselves.

Point Lookout style.

Having grown up in Kentucky, they're a pretty easy target.

It's set in Tampa, Florida

Very nice, what's going down in Tampa?

It's set 30 years after the apocalypse.

Pretty early, around the same time as Fallout 76, so that's interesting. Was there a reason for this? A more post-apocalyptic story perhaps? Similarly, my Florida setting is 60 years after the bombs so I can tell a more post-apocalyptic setting that evolves over time.

It has Hubologists due to the presence of Scientology in the RL version. They have inexplicable access to Zetan technology.

I had similar plans for Tampa with my anthology, though I tend to ignore Zetan stuff.

The Enclave was supposed to evacuate from Cape Canaveral to their moon base but a revolt by the US military prevented it, thus screwing over their entire plan to nuke the world then settle Mars.

Very cool, I also have an Enclave-like faction out of the Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral area. Similarly, their plan was to take an Ark to the Moon and use a GECK to terraform it, leaving Florida to die once more as the rocket launching would trigger a second round of Cuban missiles that didn't activate on the day the bombs fell.

Deathclaws don't exist in Florida but Gatorclaws are everywhere.

Good choice, I'm doing the same, except Gatorclaws are very very rare and aren't genetic experiments of Nuka World but rather from deep within the Glades, which has been transformed due to a malfunctioning GECK.

There's not many Vaults in Florida due to the fact, well, there's only so many places above sea level.

I also ran into this problem, but simply chose to ignore the sea level explaining it away with a handwave. If New Orleans can have a Vault I figured Florida could.

I incorporated NukaWorld from Fallout 4 as a 1:1 for Disneyworld and just ignored canon on its location.

I did the same, except stripped the Nuka World aspect out of it and just have three theme parks the populate the area, Safari Adventure, Galactic Zone, and Dry Rock Gulch that are all settled into the massive settlement of O-Town. I also made use of EPCOT, which in my setting is known as the COTT (City of Tomorrow, Today!)

I may flat out make a mutant "Klan" as a Raider gang living out of the swamp because sometimes you just need people to fucking shoot.

As in Ku Klux white sheet Super Mutant NukaShine hillbillies. Guys who think that it's all the city folk who are the problem for real Americans like themselves.

Point Lookout style.

I had similar ideas for a KKK espy for my Southern setting, but ultimately decided that real-world racial terrorist organizations didn't fit in Fallout and are too hard to tip toe around without becoming too uncomfortable.

Very nice, what's going down in Tampa?

Florida mostly missed being nuked in this setting but got struck by a lot of radioactive clouds that rolled in from Texas and that proceeded to cause all manner of horrible mutations. There were also numerous earthquakes that leveled many buildings due to the necessary imagery and seemingly science-defying effects of the Post-Apocalypse. The nuclear winter also made much of Tampa inbound and moved the ocean out several miles. That allows big dry sea beds that are full of drydocked boats as imagery.

The New Florida Republic is based out of Tampa ("The Amp") and the players know the "President" as a twenty something idealist who they're basically having to do a lot of the heavy lifting for, a Tandi esque figure. The current NFR is a loose alliance of traders, caravaners, and smaller communities around Tampa but could grow into something much bigger if they can get the people of Rando or Ami.

Pretty early, around the same time as Fallout 76, so that's interesting. Was there a reason for this? A more post-apocalyptic story perhaps? Similarly, my Florida setting is 60 years after the bombs so I can tell a more post-apocalyptic setting that evolves over time.

My players include some science nerds and guys who sometimes can't go with the silliness so the idea there's a bunch of stuff still left to scavenge and still-working technology at thirty years is a lot more believable at 2100 than it is at 2219. It's actually still pretty unbelievable but I think it's a good sweet spot for leftover skeletons and disaster.

I had similar plans for Tampa with my anthology, though I tend to ignore Zetan stuff.

When introducing them, I basically made sure to suggest that plenty of people believe they're the result of US genetic experiments with FEV and aircraft based out of Area 51. The ambiguity is the point and I actually think this is my canon answer. They're more Vault-Tec creatures but settled Mars themselves and took over Vault-Tec's equipment there.

The experiments they do on humans are to correct the damage to their DNA and keep their breeding pool viable.

Very cool, I also have an Enclave-like faction out of the Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral area. Similarly, their plan was to take an Ark to the Moon and use a GECK to terraform it, leaving Florida to die once more as the rocket launching would trigger a second round of Cuban missiles that didn't activate on the day the bombs fell.

Humorously, while I haven't gotten into it, my idea is the Enclave is now presently based in Cuba. The East Coast faction of it meant to settle Mars then just invaded and took over. A future mission might be my players attempting to liberate the country and take over their self-styled President in Exile. Just for the humor of dealing with communist guerillas there and possibly teaming up with a ghouled CIA agent out to overthrow its dictator.

(Who is the Enclave's president)

Good choice, I'm doing the same, except Gatorclaws are very very rare and aren't genetic experiments of Nuka World but rather from deep within the Glades, which has been transformed due to a malfunctioning GECK.

Interesting idea.

I also ran into this problem, but simply chose to ignore the sea level explaining it away with a handwave. If New Orleans can have a Vault I figured Florida could.

In my version, Orlando and Britton Hill are where the Vaults are located as well as a couple of above ground Vaults that are disguised as "research centers" ala Epoct Center. There's also some ocean based underwater sea lab Vaults because I remember the fake one in Disneyworld as a child.

I assume they're why Mirelurks exist.

I did the same, except stripped the Nuka World aspect out of it and just have three theme parks the populate the area, Safari Adventure, Galactic Zone, and Dry Rock Gulch that are all settled into the massive settlement of O-Town. I also made use of EPCOT, which in my setting is known as the COTT (City of Tomorrow, Today!)

I think in my alternate history for the gameworld, John Caleb Bradburton bought the equivalent of Disney Studios early on as an investment and they crosspromoed so Nuka Cola is Disney-Coca Cola and that's why it was a juggernaut Pre-War in terms of merch and entertainment. They also owned Hubris Comics.

I had similar ideas for a KKK espy for my Southern setting, but ultimately decided that real-world racial terrorist organizations didn't fit in Fallout and are too hard to tip toe around without becoming too uncomfortable.

We're all adults in our forties but I did consider renaming it the Southern Union ala Mafia 3.

Last edited:
Florida mostly missed being nuked in this setting but got struck by a lot of radioactive clouds that rolled in from Texas and that proceeded to cause all manner of horrible mutations. There were also numerous earthquakes that leveled many buildings due to the necessary imagery and seemingly science-defying effects of the Post-Apocalypse. The nuclear winter also made much of Tampa inbound and moved the ocean out several miles. That allows big dry sea beds that are full of drydocked boats as imagery.

Conversely, my Florida setting was heavily nuked by Soviet/Chinese aligned Cuba due to its proximity and resulted in a majority of the coastland where large cities were located wiped out, extending the Everglades into the ruins of towns and cities.

Just for the humor of dealing with communist guerillas there and possibly teaming up with a ghouled CIA agent out to overthrow its dictator.

Sounds fun, I like the idea of a Ghoul CIA agent just chilling in Cuba.

In my version, Orlando and Britton Hill are where the Vaults are located as well as a couple of above ground Vaults that are disguised as "research centers" ala Epoct Center. There's also some ocean based underwater sea lab Vaults because I remember the fake one in Disneyworld as a child.

I also placed a Vault in Orlando, but also one in Jacksonville and near Miami/Fort Lauderdale at Holiday Park.

We're all adults in our forties but I did consider renaming it the Southern Union ala Mafia 3.

As you mentioned Mafia 3, I'm also taking inspo from that game in terms of aesthetics. My anthology is going to cover Florida, then move to Alabama, then Mississippi, then finally end in Louisiana to make up a Gulf Commonwealth-spanning adventure. That's the large plan anyhow. I intend to explore the Fallout universe's counter culture which I base off the Vietnam era hippies with a Mafia 3 feel to it. For South Florida I'm even extending the Fallout aesthetics into the 1980s which is pushing it a bit, but I feel it works. The 1980s had a huge hard on for the 1950s and I intend to use that nostalgia to make sense of it for Fallout.

My first adventures

Notably, the first campaign was focused around stopping the Raider Boss of Nuka World having found a beached Chinese nuclear sub and acquired about fourteen nuclear missiles onboard. The goal was the PCs to keep him from using them to extort the local state into his will. In fact, he's a mad anarchist who wants to keep the Wasteland a murder-hobo filled bunch of chaos.

The Overboss was being helped by the Florida Enclave who planned to betray him and use the weapons themselves to force all remaining cities to obey them. Except the Overboss wasn't an idiot and planned to betray them first.

The end of the game had the players activate the secret "Anti-Communist protocol" that was designed to turn all of the animatronics and robots in Nuka World hostile to the living beings inside. So we had Lincoln, Washington, the Swamp Beaver Jamborie, and Protectrons massacre the Raiders inside.

I also got a chance to do some satire as the Anti-Communist Protocol opened all of the Nuka World bomb shelters for guests--which turned out to have been packed with park guests from the day the bomb fell who had been turned into feral ghouls because the bomb shelters had been shoddily built and not actually protected against the radiation.

(In this version of Fallout, ghouls don't need water or food to survive but they need them to remain sane)

In the end, the player characters detonated the nukes in space (EMPing Nuka World) while there was a three way versus the feral ghoul horde, Raiders, and deranged robots.

Back