I Made a Map of New California (First Post)

Jacob Winslow

First time out of the vault
Hey all, first time poster here on NMA. I've enjoyed the threads tearing Fallout 4 apart, and a friend of mine suggested I post this little thing here once I finish it.

I have, so here it is. I'll try to scan it when I can.
IMG_0423.jpg

My hand drawn map of New California, with my best researched estimations on all the locations (though I would like to know if anything is wrong) Red dots indicate settlements, blue indicate vaults, but they're hard to see.

I basically made this thing with the idea of FO1 and FO2 being remade in 3D, with this being the map to base that on. I wanted to get a clearer idea of where all the Fallout places could be IRL, and what the routes are between them. It gives me a better image of what these games would be like with open worlds.

The locations for V13 and Shady Sands are the most logical given V13's canon location, and I found how to fit them in both game's maps, despite their different locations represented on the in-game maps (which aren't much to go by for the other locations btw, becomes obvious with places like necropolis/Redding)
State borders are included, as well as the border between the Northwest Commonwealth and Southwest Commonwealth (indicated by line visible above Modesto with NWC and SWC)

I made the grid system represent the size of Fallout 4's chunk of Massachusetts.

Fallout 1- 174.5 Fallout 4s
Fallout 2- 350.25 Fallout 4s
Fallout: New Vegas- 9 Fallout 4s

progress-
IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_9465.jpg
IMG_9620.jpg
IMG_9644.jpg
IMG_9666.jpg

So, once I scan this on, it would be cool if anyone wanted to use it to make other maps, like NCR state borders using the roads and natural formations, marked towns, trade routes, etc.

---The locations IRL are this---
Vault 13 - Under Mt. Whitney, up in the Mt. Whitney Portal, CA (confirmed)
Shady Sands/NCR - Mesquite Flat Dunes, north of Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley, CA
Scorpion Caves - Daylight Pass Rd, in mountains, Death Valley, CA
Khans- Mesquite Flat Dunes, south of Beatty Junction, Death Valley, CA
Vault 15 - Off road a bit where Route 267 meets Route 95, NV
Junktown - West off of Route 14, north of Horse Canyon Road, CA
One Pine - Lone Pine, CA
Scrapheap - Near Sierra Trails RV Park, off California City Blvd and Route 14, CA
The Hub - Alternate History Barstow, a more developed town, on Interstate 15, CA
Necropolis - Bakersfield, CA
Lost Hills Bunker - Alt history federal site, around McJunkin Red Man Corp, Lost Hills, CA
Adytum - East Willow St, off of LA River, Wrigley, LA, CA
Library - Los Angeles Public Library, Financial District, LA, CA
Gun Runners - Alt History Industrial District near Sycamore Park, off 605, LA, CA
Irvine - Irvine, CA
Oak Creek - Irvine, CA
Dayglow - San Diego, CA
The Glow - West-Tek HQ between Santa Ysabel and Wynola, CA
Anza Borrego - Borrego Springs, CA
Mariposa MB - West of Gustine, off of i5, built into hills, CA
The Cathedral - East side of Carson, LA, CA

Aroyyo - In the Rogue River National Forest, vaguely around Knapke Gulch, OR
Klamath - Klamath Falls, OR
The Den - Weed, CA
Modoc - South end of the Modoc National Forest, close to Alturas, CA
Gecko - South end of fictional Gecko City, under Nevada Transportation Dept' office, on Nevada 140, NV
Vault 8 & Vault City - South of Gecko City, west of fictional road, built in boot shaped mesa, NV
Broken Hills - Broken Hills Mine, alt history with developed town, off of Nevada 361, NV
New Reno - Reno, NV
Sierra Army Depot - Sierra Army Depot, CA
Golgotha - Intersection of Arrowcreek Pkwy and South Virginia St, Reno, NV
Redding - Redding, CA
Tribal Slave Hunting Camp - Near Hayfork, CA
Sulik's Tribal Village - West of Loleta, CA
Sac-Town - Sacramento, CA
Monterey (Mentioned in Fo4) - Monterey, CA duh
Sunnyvale (Platinum Chip Source) - Sunnyvale, San Jose, CA
San Francisco - San Francisco, CA duh
PMV Valdez - At a San Francisco Eastern Pier
Hubologist Shuttle - South end of the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA
Navarro Entrance - Navarro, CA
Navarro Base - Refinery, harbor and airfield at the mouth of the Navarro River, Shoreline Highway, CA
Oil Rig - The dot in the ocean, lined up south of Navarro harbor directly, Pacific Ocean
+ all the New Vegas Locations seen on the map

Note- I didn't put the Divide in near Route 127 because I'm not too sure where exactly to put it, there's a few contradictions.

Alright, think that covers it. There's other Fallout work along a similar vein (not maps) I can post here later if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited:
Oh, before I forget! A fun-fact location:

Fallout 4's intro gives us a glimpse at a piece of California as well, on a road in Piru, CA. A small town north of Los Angeles.
In this bit of soldiers passing the Piru Methodist Church on the corner of Center St and Church St.
fo4-ep-1-cap-5.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 12.48.00 AM.png

Hey all, first time poster here on NMA. I've enjoyed the threads tearing Fallout 4 apart, and a friend of mine suggested I post this little thing here once I finish it.

I have, so here it is. I'll try to scan it when I can.
View attachment 5728
My hand drawn map of New California, with my best researched estimations on all the locations (though I would like to know if anything is wrong) Red dots indicate settlements, blue indicate vaults, but they're hard to see.

I basically made this thing with the idea of FO1 and FO2 being remade in 3D, with this being the map to base that on. I wanted to get a clearer idea of where all the Fallout places could be IRL, and what the routes are between them. It gives me a better image of what these games would be like with open worlds.

The locations for V13 and Shady Sands are the most logical given V13's canon location, and I found how to fit them in both game's maps, despite their different locations represented on the in-game maps (which aren't much to go by for the other locations btw, becomes obvious with places like necropolis/Redding)
State borders are included, as well as the border between the Northwest Commonwealth and Southwest Commonwealth (indicated by line visible above Modesto with NWC and SWC)

I made the grid system represent the size of Fallout 4's chunk of Massachusetts.

Fallout 1- 174.5 Fallout 4s
Fallout 2- 350.25 Fallout 4s
Fallout: New Vegas- 9 Fallout 4s

progress-
View attachment 5729
View attachment 5730 View attachment 5731 View attachment 5732 View attachment 5733

So, once I scan this on, it would be cool if anyone wanted to use it to make other maps, like NCR state borders using the roads and natural formations, marked towns, trade routes, etc.

---The locations IRL are this---
Vault 13 - Under Mt. Whitney, up in the Mt. Whitney Portal, CA (confirmed)
Shady Sands/NCR - Mesquite Flat Dunes, north of Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley, CA
Scorpion Caves - Daylight Pass Rd, in mountains, Death Valley, CA
Khans- Mesquite Flat Dunes, south of Beatty Junction, Death Valley, CA
Vault 15 - Off road a bit where Route 267 meets Route 95, NV
Junktown - West off of Route 14, north of Horse Canyon Road, CA
One Pine - Lone Pine, CA
Scrapheap - Near Sierra Trails RV Park, off California City Blvd and Route 14, CA
The Hub - Alternate History Barstow, a more developed town, on Interstate 15, CA
Necropolis - Bakersfield, CA
Lost Hills Bunker - Alt history federal site, around McJunkin Red Man Corp, Lost Hills, CA
Adytum - East Willow St, off of LA River, Wrigley, LA, CA
Library - Los Angeles Public Library, Financial District, LA, CA
Gun Runners - Alt History Industrial District near Sycamore Park, off 605, LA, CA
Irvine - Irvine, CA
Oak Creek - Irvine, CA
Dayglow - San Diego, CA
The Glow - West-Tek HQ between Santa Ysabel and Wynola, CA
Anza Borrego - Borrego Springs, CA
Mariposa MB - West of Gustine, off of i5, built into hills, CA
The Cathedral - East side of Carson, LA, CA

Aroyyo - In the Rogue River National Forest, vaguely around Knapke Gulch, OR
Klamath - Klamath Falls, OR
The Den - Weed, CA
Modoc - South end of the Modoc National Forest, close to Alturas, CA
Gecko - South end of fictional Gecko City, under Nevada Transportation Dept' office, on Nevada 140, NV
Vault 8 & Vault City - South of Gecko City, west of fictional road, built in boot shaped mesa, NV
Broken Hills - Broken Hills Mine, alt history with developed town, off of Nevada 361, NV
New Reno - Reno, NV
Sierra Army Depot - Sierra Army Depot, CA
Golgotha - Intersection of Arrowcreek Pkwy and South Virginia St, Reno, NV
Redding - Redding, CA
Tribal Slave Hunting Camp - Near Hayfork, CA
Sulik's Tribal Village - West of Loleta, CA
Sac-Town - Sacramento, CA
Monterey (Mentioned in Fo4) - Monterey, CA duh
Sunnyvale (Platinum Chip Source) - Sunnyvale, San Jose, CA
San Francisco - San Francisco, CA duh
PMV Valdez - At a San Francisco Eastern Pier
Hubologist Shuttle - South end of the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA
Navarro Entrance - Navarro, CA
Navarro Base - Refinery, harbor and airfield at the mouth of the Navarro River, Shoreline Highway, CA
Oil Rig - The dot in the ocean, lined up south of Navarro harbor directly, Pacific Ocean
+ all the New Vegas Locations seen on the map

Note- I didn't put the Divide in near Route 127 because I'm not too sure where exactly to put it, there's a few contradictions.

Alright, think that covers it. There's other Fallout work along a similar vein (not maps) I can post here later if anyone wants to see it.

It looks gorgeous. Love Cartography.

When do you think you could make a digital version? Its a bit hard for me to read. But other than that its beautiful. Keep it up, friend.

Back