Inside the Vault - Dan Teitel

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
The streak of irrelevants on Inside the Vault continues with interface programmer Dan Teitel. Not a mention of Fallout 1/2, neither in questions nor in answers. This dude made the hacking minigame, tho'.<blockquote>What’s your job at Bethesda?
I am a programmer. I am largely responsible for portions of the interface but have also worked on the weather system for Oblivion and other aspects of the game, as well. My prize claim in Fallout 3 is the Hacking minigame which I was primarily responsible for implementing and also helped design along with Erik Deitrick, Emil Pagliarulo, and Todd Howard.</blockquote>Link: Inside the Vault - Dan Teitel.

Pope Viper said:
My prize claim in Fallout 3 is the Hacking minigame which I was primarily responsible for implementing

How proud he must be... :roll:

Working on games such as Oblivion and Fallout 3 that are played all around the world really gives me a sense of purpose. It’s not something I realized I needed until I worked three other jobs outside the industry before coming to Bethesda. Working in the game industry has given me a sense of connection to the world I live in. I’m part of an effort that gives enjoyment to people everywhere and I think that’s a worthwhile way to spend your time.

Also, sometimes it's better not to step on people's dreams. ;)

It's a pretty sad commentary when working on a video game gives you a sense of purpose, and connection to the world.

Wow.

I mean he has a son, fer chrissake.

Pope Viper said:
It's a pretty sad commentary when working on a video game gives you a sense of purpose, and connection to the world.

Is it?

I think it's pretty cool that he finds such fulfilment in his job.

Well, as a parent, I find a greater level of fulfillment in seeing my daughter grow and develop.

Sure, having an enjoyable and fulfilling job is great, but in comparison to a child, it doesn't hold a candle, IMO.

Pope Viper said:
Well, as a parent, I find a greater level of fulfillment in seeing my daughter grow and develop.

Sure, having an enjoyable and fulfilling job is great, but in comparison to a child, it doesn't hold a candle, IMO.

Unless, he is using the jobs as a means to an end. Job brings income, therefore he can raise his child. Ever thought about that? :P

Edit: Woot! 1111th post! :D

DarkLegacy said:
Pope Viper said:

Unless, he is using the jobs as a means to an end. Job brings income, therefore he can raise his child. Ever thought about that? :P

Money does not equal happiness. Paupers can have a excellent life without smothering their children with material things.

Granted, I make a good sum of money, but my kiddo gets much more pleasure out of me playing with her then the things I buy.

I apologize for derailing the thread!

I don't really get people who say that their children are their biggest accomplishment and fulfillment and are their entire life now.

Don't get me wrong, I love children. I love the idea of a harmonious family life.

But there should be more. One's creative passions should go farther than molding their biological spawn. That's what separates us from the animals.

If making terrible minigames makes this guy feel fulfilled, more power to him.

shihonage said:
I don't really get people who say that their children are their biggest accomplishment and fulfillment and are their entire life now.

Don't get me wrong, I love children. I love the idea of a harmonious family life.

But there should be more. One's creative passions should go farther than molding their biological spawn. That's what separates us from the animals.

If making terrible minigames makes this guy feel fulfilled, more power to him.
Couldn't agree more

I don't have kids and I don't mean to be a jerk but almost everyone has a kid, and a very small percentage of people get to make games.

As a creative person I find a huge amount of fulfillment in the act of creating.

Heaven forbid the guy actually likes his job. He's working as a game designer, on the Fallout franchise no less. He's living the dream.

To each their own, I was offering my perspective, and opinion. I find that working with my "biological spawn", is a hell of a lot more fulfilling then any job.

Yay. Dream. Working on a bastardization. :roll:

I believe I will go back to my primitive animalistic roots, and go play with my spawn.

:mrgreen:

DarkLegacy said:
Also, sometimes it's better not to step on people's dreams. ;)

I wonder if he realizes that he is part of the disgusting corporate machine that is curb-stomping the dreams of fallout fans who were eagerly looking forward to an experience that even vaguely resembled the original two games.

Definitely something to be proud of
:roll:

Jiggly McNerdington said:
Wait, hacking minigame? First I'd heard of this.

Really?
Moving into the nearby room, a Protectron is seen in its storage bay, with a nearby RobCo computer (all in-game computers appear to be RobCo). Pete Hines decides to try and hack into the computer to activate the Protectron, and a number of computer interface screens (hacking into the computer's BIOS) later he enters a mini-game. In this mini-game you have a number of words, you have to guess which word is the password, and with each wrong pick the game will tell you how many letters were right. Whether or not you can access the terminal to begin with and he number of tries you get depends on your science skill. If you fail, the terminal locks down and can not be entered again. Except in this demo, which has a conveniently placed security card nearby for Hines to use once the terminal is locked down. He reactivates the robot.

That seems like it would get old fast, unless hackable objects are few and far between.

Am I the only one who thinks that minigames related to using skills don't fit in with fallout at all?

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
Am I the only one who thinks that minigames related to using skills don't fit in with fallout at all?
Yes, you are completely alone in your outrageous claim. Everyone loves mini games, and everyone knows that they are mandatory for any new fallout games.

Brother None said:
Jiggly McNerdington said:
Wait, hacking minigame? First I'd heard of this.

Really?
Moving into the nearby room, a Protectron is seen in its storage bay, with a nearby RobCo computer (all in-game computers appear to be RobCo). Pete Hines decides to try and hack into the computer to activate the Protectron, and a number of computer interface screens (hacking into the computer's BIOS) later he enters a mini-game. In this mini-game you have a number of words, you have to guess which word is the password, and with each wrong pick the game will tell you how many letters were right. Whether or not you can access the terminal to begin with and he number of tries you get depends on your science skill. If you fail, the terminal locks down and can not be entered again. Except in this demo, which has a conveniently placed security card nearby for Hines to use once the terminal is locked down. He reactivates the robot.
Damn you memory! DAMN YOU!
Not sure what I think about that. It doesn't sound nearly as worthless as the lockpicking minigame in Oblivion, but it still seems a bit silly. "Whether or not you can access the terminal to begin with" at least implies the skills will have more impact than in Oblivion, at least. I liked a lot about Oblivion, the lockpicking was not part of it.

Back