Inspired by Warhammer 40k

elchapetas

First time out of the vault
Since the first time I encountered the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 1, I thought to myself "Warhammer 40k", all those "knights", "paladins" and "scribes" kinda remind me of the spess mahreens and the Adeptus Mechanicus skitarii, magi and tech-priests (though, the former is more medieval and the latter is more roman).

What do you think?

Last edited:
Power-armoured knights with ridiculous pauldrons semi-afraid of technology, xenophobic, and hostile towards mutants?
Yeah, there might have been some inspiration ^^

Not to mention ridicolous laser miniguns, one- handed chainsaws and gloves accelerating power of a punch to ridiculous heights.

Not to mention ridicolous laser miniguns, one- handed chainsaws and gloves accelerating power of a punch to ridiculous heights.
And high tech hammers of course.
The 12.7 mm submachinegun in New Vegas looks a little bit like a bolter, too.

Since the first time I encountered the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 1, I thought to myself "Warhammer 40k", all those "knights", "paladins" and "scribes" kinda remind me of the Adeptus Mechanicus skitarii, magi and tech-priests (though, the former is more medieval and the latter is more roman).

What do you think?

Which is observant... but ...
  • Fallout 1 release: 1997
  • Games Workshop Release Adeptus Mechanicus: 2016
  • GW publish 'Space Marines' as we understand them (2nd ed 40k): 1993
  • GW expands and grows the background details of Imperium (3rd ed+): 1998
In the late 90's Games Workshop was still growing and the modern concepts you've named didn't exist except as a glint in the eyes of Gav Thorpe et al. Even the 'early' development art of the earlier '1st edition' space marines was conceptually different from what we see today.

It is, of course, sensible to liken BoS to Space Marines, but the heavily pseudo-medieval imperium design had yet to become concreted in place, that only really grew into place after GW released 3rd edition (1998) and so it would have been impossible for that later design to influence Black Isle. Before the 3rd ed the Marines were very Neo-Gothic and, if I can add my opinion lacked a lot of the deeper styling.

Further to add into this mix is that GW in the 90's was a flourishing company which likely had not yet had dramatic enough an impact into 'pop-nerd-culture' and I'd have to question if Black Isle or the Devs of FO1 even knew of the existence of GW (citation require on this... does anyone know more?)

While the above is purely my own speculation, I like to think that, based on the details I know of both franchises, I hope I'm able to piece together something close to the truth.

Further to add into this mix is that GW in the 90's was a flourishing company which likely had not yet had dramatic enough an impact into 'pop-nerd-culture' and I'd have to question if Black Isle or the Devs of FO1 even knew of the existence of GW (citation require on this... does anyone know more?)

Tim Cain talks about Fallout's influences starting at 4:35 in this video.

Warhammer 40,000 is suspiciously absent from his list. Doesn't necessarily prove anything, though.

Wasn't there guys in Wasteland that had power armor and wielded laser guns and proton axes?

I dunno... The chainswords (in WH) are held by robotic power armored arms, Fallout has vibro-blades, and those are closer akin to electric bread cutters; or engraving pens—with a knife blade instead of a scribing point.

The gloves...I wonder if they could employ a gyroscopic force? (to push from)

The laser minigun might be six single—barrel lasers that require a cool down in between shots... such that all six fire in sequence.

:shrug:

Yes:

upload_2018-3-28_11-14-55.png

Which is observant... but ...
  • Fallout 1 release: 1997
  • Games Workshop Release Adeptus Mechanicus: 2016
  • GW publish 'Space Marines' as we understand them (2nd ed 40k): 1993
  • GW expands and grows the background details of Imperium (3rd ed+): 1998
In the late 90's Games Workshop was still growing and the modern concepts you've named didn't exist except as a glint in the eyes of Gav Thorpe et al. Even the 'early' development art of the earlier '1st edition' space marines was conceptually different from what we see today.

It is, of course, sensible to liken BoS to Space Marines, but the heavily pseudo-medieval imperium design had yet to become concreted in place, that only really grew into place after GW released 3rd edition (1998) and so it would have been impossible for that later design to influence Black Isle. Before the 3rd ed the Marines were very Neo-Gothic and, if I can add my opinion lacked a lot of the deeper styling.

While the above is purely my own speculation, I like to think that, based on the details I know of both franchises, I hope I'm able to piece together something close to the truth.

oh well... you guys clearly know waaay more than I do about these 2 franchises, I only played Fallout 1 after finishing Fallout 3 to know more about the lore (liked the first one a lot more than Bethesda's 3rd).

also, the part i like more about my comparison, is that both are technophile maniacs that are trying to hoard and piece together the lost secrets of a past golden age of science and technology.

Not altogether in the case of 40K. They are stagnant, and technophobic in the extreme, when it comes to new lines of inquiry in a lot of cases. The BoS regard pre-war tech as something to be sought and understood, resurrected. The imperium of W40K regards even their OWN archaeotech in many cases as heretical to attempt to understand or in some cases even witness, and deserving of extreme punishment, some of them worse than execution.

The Adeptus Astartes...hm. I can definitely see the parallels, where they exist, but at the same time, you don't see the Astartes recruiting a deathclaw or a ghoul for anything but bolter practice. Even where a race might be willing to work alongside the imperium, such as on occasion, the Eldar, or the Tau's tau'va, the imperium just wants to wipe out all xenos races.

well, that may be in the case of the wider imperium, but the Admech is like a separte nation inside a nation, the higher ranks, such as the magos, are actually constantly trying to understand the aracheotech and come up with innovations, its just that, with the knowledge they have, dont really understand the hyper-advanced tech of the DAoT, and messing up with, for example, a land-raider's machine spirit (AI), can end up with it destroying and entire continent... thats why they dont experiment that much and the higher-ups have declared it heretical.

Well the adeptus mechanicus were sort of given dispensation to go somewhere along the lines of 'bugger worshiping the emperor and a lot freedom to go their own way, to a degree at least.

Back