Intelligent Deathclaws

Norzan

So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
So i haven't played Fallout 2 yet (or 1 for that matter, yeah i'm a heathen) but i was just reading stuff about it and i found the stuff about intelligent Deathclaws. I honestly really find this fascinating and my question is:

Am i the only one who's kind of bummed that they were apparently wiped out by the Enclave?

Having a faction of intelligent deathclaws where you can either help or destroy in a future game sounds awesome. Of couse i wouldn't want that to be handled by Bethesda because they somehow would make it stupid. And Bethesda is probably never going to alllow another team make a Fallout game, so i guess it will never happen. Just think it would be awesome.

Last edited:
So i haven't played Fallout 2 yet (or 1 for that matter, yeah i'm a heathen) but i was just reading stuff about it and i found the stuff about intelligent Deathclaws. I honestly really find this fascinating and my question is:

Am i the only one who's kind of bummed that they were apparently wiped out by the Enclave?

Having a faction of intelligent deathclaws where you can either help or destroy in a future game sounds awesome. Of couse i wouldn't want that to be handled by Bethesda because they somehow would make it stupid. And Bethesda is probably never going to alllow another team make a Fallout game, so i guess it will never happen. Just think it would be awesome.

They weren't wiped out.

There's an ending which was broken (repaired in the RP patch), where they survive and thrive. You need to kill the Enclave doctor however.

The Fallout bible stated they were killed off, but that's a copout, and was not said by their designer.

Bethesda are idiots who would probably fuck them up, if they ever tried.

For all intents and purposes, they were more than likely said to be wiped off for a reason. They were, afterall, one of the worst ideas in the whole series.

For all intents and purposes, they were more than likely said to be wiped off for a reason. They were, afterall, one of the worst ideas in the whole series.

I liked them... ;\

So few fictions have 'big scary monsters...Who are friendly'.

There's nice super mutants, why not nice deathclaws? Provided they have a reason to be nice?

FEV does crazy shit, look what it did to flatworms (Floaters). Making an already smart creature, smarter, isn't that much of a stretch.

I liked them... ;\

So few fictions have 'big scary monsters...Who are friendly'.

There's nice super mutants, why not nice deathclaws? Provided they have a reason to be nice?

FEV does crazy shit, look what it did to flatworms (Floaters). Making an already smart creature, smarter, isn't that much of a stretch.

Super mutants are former humans, hence why some are "nice". I don't want to see intelligent Deathclaws again.

Besides, Fallout 4 has a friendly Deathclaw ;)

Signs of developing an even exceptional intelligence is one thing. But talking animals is the sort of fantasy/disney trope the series never needed. Fallout (1) had already rightfully left out a tribe of sentient racoons because they just didn't fit in; and it's no different with deathclaws. A rare/one time instance of a freak mutant that has somehow developed some rudimentary capabilities for basics of human speech (like Keeng Ra'at) is somewhat plausible and gives a positively freakish and ridiculous vibe to the setting, but striking a conversation with an oversized jackson chameleon (or any other animal)... it goes too far to be taken seriously even in the settings on fiction.

Last edited:
Well, one of the worst ideas that made it into the games. Still think the intelligent racoons cut from FO1 are dumber.

I find better a silly plot point that affects nearly nothing and can be easily overlooked than a retconning "hardcoded" piece of crap that is there to stay.

No that bad IMO as alien cities under the Mojave.

I find better a silly plot point that affects nearly nothing and can be easily overlooked than a retconning "hardcoded" piece of crap that is there to stay.

No that bad IMO as alien cities under the Mojave.

I think they served as a decent way of having non-human people to talk to.

Ghouls and mutants are dying out.

So why not introduce a previous enemy, altered by a new enemy, who becomes your friend? ^_^

I think they served as a decent way of having non-human people to talk to.

Ghouls and mutants are dying out.

So why not introduce a previous enemy, altered by a new enemy, who becomes your friend? ^_^
Hey, I don't hold them too highly still. With hindsight, maybe not make them talking, just friendly? Like Christine but then not being as self aware.

Hey, I don't hold them too highly still. With hindsight, maybe not make them talking, just friendly? Like Christine but then not being as self aware.

Try to not think of them 'talking' like people, and more like parrots, like they are described as.

What about raising your own Deathclaw? Unless there's the 'it's in the gene' thingy going on..... or maybe allow something like the situation with Lily and Dog-God, so choosing one over the other has its own strengths and weaknesses. Like, one is tamer and easily controlled but not as ferocious, and if you let it loose it will be super OP but might lose control and you have to put it down....

What about raising your own Deathclaw? Unless there's the 'it's in the gene' thingy going on..... or maybe allow something like the situation with Lily and Dog-God, so choosing one over the other has its own strengths and weaknesses. Like, one is tamer and easily controlled but not as ferocious, and if you let it loose it will be super OP but might lose control and you have to put it down....

IIRC Tactics had some traits like that, deathclaws could be tame (+inteligence but less damage IIRC), or feral or something.

I do wonder how you could 'keep it in check' however?

Maybe something like it needs to be well fed?

So like that New Vegas mod? That one's pretty funny, actually. And not crazy lore breaking.

You feed it (anything that qualifies as meat) for it to get bigger (at a pretty goddamn slow rate) and iirc you could customize him a bit, like rewarding its habit of munching Stealth Boys and have its effect, or make him wear hats!

So many of you hating on the intelligent deathclaws... you guys are probably mad you didn't have the charisma check to recruit Goris. Hahaha.

So many of you hating on the intelligent deathclaws... you guys are probably mad you didn't have the charisma check to recruit Goris. Hahaha.

IIRC Goris has no statchecks, apart from the normal 'need 2 charisma per companion with you' check.

I don't "hate" intelligent Deathclaws, I just don't think they should pop up again. Though if there was a small appearance by one I wouldn't mind.

Back