Is New Vegas canon?

AlbyDeutch

First time out of the vault
I don't just mean the endings (Mr. House and Vegas's independence seems the best choice there) but also the NCR, tribes, Brotherhood, etc., like their actions and history detailed in-game. Just curious, as I'm trying to become a sort of scribe for Fallout.

sea said:
My assumption is that Bethesda will utterly ignore everything that happened in New Vegas, go back to the East Coast and focus on the Brotherhood and Enclave. Again.

Canon being a fuzzy thing, we may never even know how Bethesda think NV and its details fit into their Fallout chronology. I would be surprised if they flatly contradict it, though.

It's all dependent on how Bethesda decides to handle it really. Given NV's vast array of different endings, if FO4 takes place any time after the events of NV then there are bound to be a couple of contradictions.

Unless Bethesda is that childish stupid, I don't think they'll touch on New Vegas' endings or include a game around that area. They're better off in their own playground.

Sub-Human said:
Unless Bethesda is that childish stupid, I don't think they'll touch on New Vegas' endings or include a game around that area. They're better off in their own playground.

I don't know.

Jason Bergman, senior producer at Bethesda said:

You'll get no tips from me. But the Mojave Wasteland was a fun place to explore, wasn't it?

(Translated from Norwegian)

Quote Source

I think that New Vegas will probably be a canon game. I think, knowing Bethesda, that they will make the happiest ending the canon one. I would hope for a "Wild Card" ending, but I don't think so.

AlbyDeutch said:
If they don't do the Wild Card ending, they'll probably do the House Always Wins.

I would expect the NCR ending by Bethesda's pattern of endings

Oh yeah, Morrowind really had a fun time of an ending, what with the whole island being destroyed and all those argonians invading.

But what about House saving the Strip from the bombs, the NCR and the Legion fighting over the Hoover Dam? I want to know about the events the player doesn't influence, other than the Chip.

I was including elder scrolls, with their happy endings

Arena was the only Elder Scrolls that really ended happily.

Daggerfall was either grey or black, depending on whom you handed over the relic. And it ended up being retconned anyhow.

Morrowind gets blown up and invaded by Argonians. Not exactly the happiest of endings.

Cyrodill is spared a Deadric invasion, but it weakens the Empire enough that it falls prey to secession and war with the Thalmor.

Skyrim seems to end well, but it'a made clear you just delayed Alduin, not destroyed him.

So yeah, you're kinda talking out of your ass. Also not everyone would consider NCR a happy ending. And there's always the possibility (hope?) they hand over the Fallout franchise to Obsidian and stay focused on TES.

Ilosar said:
And there's always the possibility (hope?) they hand over the Fallout franchise to Obsidian and stay focused on TES.
Which would be good for The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series. Shame it won't happen. Anyway i'm fairly certain New Vegas is canon.

AlbyDeutch said:
If they did hand it over to Obsidian, it would be a glorious day for all.

Yes it would. Even a joint collaboration on Fallout 4 would suffice.

I dont think it would be that hard to program 4 to take into account the major choices from NV.

Look at how the last two Mass Effect games all build upon the earlier games and your choices.

I dont think it would be that hard to program 4 to take into account the major choices from NV.

Look at how the last two Mass Effect games all build upon the earlier games and your choices.

It's not that major, and I say that as an avowed Bioware fan. Some characters return, some side-quests are referenced, that's it. The biggest ones are in ME3, where the outcome of some quests change the outcome of the major plot arcs. Plus the plot flags have to be built from the ground up, not sure Gamebryo can do this at all.

Meanwhile, a legion victory changes the whole Mojave and puts the Republic in a very, very bad posture, while an NCR victory leaves them to rule over the Mojave and beyond with little opposition. In any ending but his own, House, a major figure, is dead. The Yes Man ending has endless possible outcomes. Apart from a quick reference to what happenned, I don't see how you could possibly implement this into a new game. It's just far too complicated.

It's also important to point out that Bethesda IS NOT Bioware. What game were Bioware making 10 years ago? KOTOR, ME1, solid, amazing work (even to this day). What was Bethesa up to at the same time? Morrowind, then Oblivion........ yeah, no. Bethesda has NEVER put a strong focus on storytelling and immersion, whereas Bioware has ALWAYS focused on that aspect of their games. Considering how ruthlessly Bethesda handled the production of New Vegas, and how mercilessly they legally gutted Interplay for the Fallout MMO rights, we can clearly assess that they've always been out for one thing, and one thing alone: moneyz.

I'm all for the notion that most- if not all -good things are not only good, but profitable. But this is a case of ends justifying means, and that doesn't bode well for any art form.

If Bethesda does handle 4, (if they do a Fallout 3 again) they'll use the Skyrim engine, and release it next year.

Back