Let's settle this

*inedible* decorations belong *on* the dinner plate:

• Yes! I love accidentally eating wood or plastic :0

• What, NO!? This is it? THIS is the fucking poll?

Results are only viewable after voting.

zegh8578

Keeper of the trout
Orderite
Apparently, this is a goddamn controversy even at the highest level, so - let's poll!

I think people that put fruit made from wax in bowls are sneaky bastards. Sometimes you can spot small bite marks left by children hoodwinked into taking a sly bite.

I appreciate the way Japanese restaurants do it but a sprig of parsley or "on a bed of lettuce" is just fucking retarded and a waste.

I appreciate the way Japanese restaurants do it but a sprig of parsley or "on a bed of lettuce" is just fucking retarded and a waste.
Why? It's edible; is it not the customer's waste if they don't eat it?

*Funny story... Crayfish [also known as Crawfish] are a staple food in Louisiana. When I was about seven years old, we went on a trip to Washington DC, and while I was there we ate at a buffet. Seven year old me saw a crawfish in the shaved ice, and so of course I put it on my plate; it was a garnish for the seafood entrees—fully cooked but not meant to be eaten; entirely unseasoned. I didn't realize this at the time, and was disappointed at the cook.

Why? It's edible; is it not the customer's waste if they don't eat it?

*Funny story... Crayfish [also known as Crawfish] are a staple food in Louisiana. When I was about seven years old, we went on a trip to Washington DC, and while I was there we ate at a buffet. Seven year old me saw a crawfish in the shaved ice, and so of course I put it on my plate; it was a garnish for the seafood entrees—fully cooked but not meant to be eaten; entirely unseasoned. I didn't realize this at the time, and was disappointed at the cook.

Thats one example - why the hell is it there, if you're not supposed to eat it?
In my experience, most restaurants follow the philosophy of everything on the plate is edible; yes the garnish too - it all comes together
But like - in one cooking show they had actual literal rocks on a plate, as part of some dumb symbolic whatever - a bit on the nose as an example, but don't put rocks there - Ima be a peasant pleb, and bite into the stone unless you stop me!

AFAIK the branding stickers on fruit are food-grade, and edible—not that I'd try eating them.

The only inedible things I want on my plate are cutlery and whatever bits and remaining bits of food that usually aren't eaten - i.e. bones.

I appreciate decoration on food, but make it edible. Also I don't want unnecessary plastic in my meals, there's already plenty of nanoplastics everywhere.

Back