Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams)

daveyd

First time out of the vault
Whalenought Studios, the developer of "Serpent in the Staglands" have their next game Copper Dreams on Kickstarter They're around 80% funded with a week to go.

It's a cyberpunk party-based CRPG with turn-based combat and stealth mechanics. That's pretty much all I need to know. Glad they're doing a turn-based game this time as I dislike RTwP combat and so admittedly haven't played SitS much.

Six days until the end...I hope they make it.

The game looks interesting so I'll probably ake the minimal contribution in the next days.

Six days until the end...I hope they make it.

The game looks interesting so I'll probably ake the minimal contribution in the next days.

Well, they're getting close to their goal... $38, 400 with a little over 2 days left. Think they'll make it. I'm very excited for this game; lots of great ideas presented in the Kickstarter.

I fell for the setting immediately although I hope they´ll go over their colors in their levels to clarify navigable and non-navigable areas etc. It´s all so cluttered right now! o_o

I'm happy the game is funded, even though I feel with all of the interesting ideas they put forth, they deserved to raise quite a bit more. It doesn't seem likely that the first stretch goal will be reached in the next 5 hours... however, the paypal pre-orders will count towards stretch goals until they release the beta so there's a chance that the expanded soundtrack will be funded.

From Steam:

Whalenought Studios said:
A tactical cyberpunk turn-based RPG set on an off-world grindhouse jungle colony. Skulk through the shadows or charge in guns blazing. Recruit a unique party for large squad-based assaults as your adventure plunges you deep into the city’s secrets.

Whalenought Studios said:
A cyberpunk horror CRPG set on a grim future colony world. Mechajammer uses simultaneous turn-based combat to create real-time tactics with the precision of turn-based controls.

Freely roam through the streets of an off-world cyberpunk city, the killer jungles outside its walls, and the occult syndicate hollows below.

Recruit large squads of mercenaries, gang members, and thieves as companions. Issue commands to the whole squad to keep the turn-based combat fast and exciting.

You and your crew of deserters have crashed onto a hostile jungle colony. To escape, you must gather rumors, bribe enemies, and earn trust through completing missions. In this immersive sim choose your path wisely, as your story options will shift with every choice.

Deep and fully customizable character creation allows you to experiment and design your own playstyle.

On paper it sounds very intriguing however the game has been in (troubled?) development for over five years and it might be rushed towards the end due to funds running low. They are a small indie studio of just two persons. They have changed art-style several times and they went from 3d characters to sprites. We'll see on December 2 if it was rushed or not. I'm a kickstarter baker so I have been following this throughout the years.

Played a demo on one of Steam Fests.
It is a mischung of everything (stealth, cover system, physics, crafting...) and in form of basic tutorial.
They didn't show much of RPG elements.

Personally, I think they bit off more than they can chew, but who knows.
If they succeed to make it good, it will be someting like isometric Immersion sim.
But I doubt it will be any good at release.

Yeah, the troubled development basically sealed this project's fate. In the Codex, it has been meme'd that their every updates are basically them changing their art style and assets over and over again, in addition to also changing their gameplay and UI. What came out recently, at this point, is just pretty much a shadow of its former, initial concept.

What a damn shame.

Yeah, the troubled development basically sealed this project's fate. In the Codex, it has been meme'd that their every updates are basically them changing their art style and assets over and over again, in addition to also changing their gameplay and UI. What came out recently, at this point, is just pretty much a shadow of its former, initial concept.

What a damn shame.
Might have changed the art style over and over again but I think the revisions hit the nail on the head. How badly was the gameplay butchered though?

Might have changed the art style over and over again but I think the revisions hit the nail on the head. How badly was the gameplay butchered though?
I haven't actually played the demo at all, but just looking from their updates they changed the gameplay together *with* the artstyle changes. But in the last few months or so they've kinda finalized the gameplay, and from what the Codexers who do played the demo has to say, it wasn't 'butchered' per se, but more of what they initially envisioned could no longer be achieved simply because they're way past ran out of time (and perhaps, even money).

Still, apparently based on the videos above, and what Codexers has to say, long story short: there's still some hope.

Back