Mod idea but questions about tiles and spawn

Kaoji

First time out of the vault
Hi!
I recently started a new game on FOT and wanted to make also a mod.
Atm I'm writing stuff and drawing ideas here and there but something is bugging me at some point.. I read a lot of discussions in this forums (and thanks for all of the answers, it helped me a lot to understand better the editor) but cannot find answers for those 2 questions:

1 - Display or hides tiles
I found how to display an entities, however I want to do the same for some tiles.
For instance, imagine a village with only one tent. You complete a quest and when coming back to this village you see a second tent.
The only idea I have is to duplicate the whole map, hide the 1st version of it and make it no more accessible by the player and display the 2nd version of the map instead. But could be a lot of work if I have a lot of triggers in it...

2 - Make multiple spawns depending from which map the player is coming
I read the tutorial about how to navigate with exit grid from a map to another. However I'm wondering if we can set several spawn point in the same map so I can correctly set the PC depending from where he come from. I don't see something useful in the Triggers but maybe I missed something?

Thanks!

Hi Kaoji! Happy to see you're motivated to create a FT mod! Pretty fun to mod, as any content is quick and easy to make, compared to 3D... And Tactics have always been one of the best looking isometric game IMO. Here my anwsers:

1 - As far as I know it is impossible to change any tile or tileset on the go. Replacing a .mis file on the Worldmap works flawlessly, but has also a major problem : all items left in the former map will be reset, the player might not like your "improvement" on the map when it occurs. It would create a more believable experience than other solutions, but I think it works better for towns like "Megaton" where you destroy everything and transform the place to a pile of ash.

I suggest you simply add another green circle on the worldmap next to the one you already have, and make the player discover this new part of the village with more tents as your story unfold. This will make for more interesting discoveries IMO. It will be way easier to script also than replacing a location, as you will not be obliged to check every NPC to make sure they do not come back from the dead on the new location if previously killed.

2 - You can't add multiple spawnpoints, as the engine will decide by itself which one they use, which will always be the same. BUT you can MOVE the spawnpoint (after giving it a tagname) to any place you want in the map when exiting it. So next time you enter the map you start somewhere else. So if you have let's say a town with multiple sections, you can easily link them with this method.

The only drawback I see to this method is if you have, let's say, a town with 2 sections, A (west) and B (east). You go to the east side from the west side, and move the spawn point accordingly. Then from the east side, you go out of the map to the Worldmap. If you then enter the west side from the worldmap, you'll end up at the junction between West and East, not at the corner of the map facing the vast emptiness of the desert. Follow me? I added this method in my mod for an underground area. It works better as an underground entrance, as there is no way to leave the map except from the place you come from, aka to the top of the elevator.

Tactics have always been one of the best looking isometric game IMO
So agree with you!

1 - As far as I know it is impossible to change any tile or tileset on the go. Replacing a .mis file on the Worldmap works flawlessly, but has also a major problem : all items left in the former map will be reset, the player might not like your "improvement" on the map when it occurs. It would create a more believable experience than other solutions, but I think it works better for towns like "Megaton" where you destroy everything and transform the place to a pile of ash.

I suggest you simply add another green circle on the worldmap next to the one you already have, and make the player discover this new part of the village with more tents as your story unfold. This will make for more interesting discoveries IMO. It will be way easier to script also than replacing a location, as you will not be obliged to check every NPC to make sure they do not come back from the dead on the new location if previously killed.
You are right. I also though about vehicles or dedicated triggers that could also be an issue...
I will try what you said but I still want to make evolving a specific main town in which the action of the player will have an impact... hmm maybe something like : storage and garage on a dedicated map and the evolving town on another one with the characters in it (and avoiding complicated trigger to make some appears and others disappears or it will be hell)

2 - You can't add multiple spawnpoints, as the engine will decide by itself which one they use, which will always be the same. BUT you can MOVE the spawnpoint (after giving it a tagname) to any place you want in the map when exiting it. So next time you enter the map you start somewhere else. So if you have let's say a town with multiple sections, you can easily link them with this method.

The only drawback I see to this method is if you have, let's say, a town with 2 sections, A (west) and B (east). You go to the east side from the west side, and move the spawn point accordingly. Then from the east side, you go out of the map to the Worldmap. If you then enter the west side from the worldmap, you'll end up at the junction between West and East, not at the corner of the map facing the vast emptiness of the desert. Follow me? I added this method in my mod for an underground area. It works better as an underground entrance, as there is no way to leave the map except from the place you come from, aka to the top of the elevator.
Ho great, thanks!

By the way, I'm starting to make some changes on the Cheyenne Mountain map (yep, I want to add this map in my mod), and I see that some tiles are placed hover Ycoord: 51 (which looks like the maximum height). How is that possible? Can we update the max height in the editor?

Attachments

• 2023-11-16_21h59_35.png
    2023-11-16_21h59_35.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 87
Back