NATO and Soviet Ammunition

owenmp

First time out of the vault
I liked the idea in Wasteland there was a threat of a Soviet invasion, therefore several rifles and carbines in the U.S. were re-chambered to accept Soviet ammunition to permit re-supply when you kill an enemy.

The M14 used 7.62 x 51mm NATO cartridges.

The M16 Series uses 5.56 x 45mm NATO ammunition.

The AK47 uses 7.62 x 39mmR cartridges (R stands for Russian).

The AK74 uses 5.45 x 39mmR cartridges.

The two rifles, the AK97 and NATO1989 needed to use the same ammo in Wasteland for simplicity. This modification was acceptable for the game.

If you are going to play a tabletop RPG campaign in the Wasteland world, NATO and Soviet/Russian weapons and ammo are likely not going to be compatible with each other.

In a tabletop RPG setting or in Wasteland 2, reading an explanation why NATO reverted from 5.56mm to 7.62mm for its primary assault rifle would be interesting.

The standard M-16 (AR-15) pattern rifle can be chambered in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39.

The easiest change is replacing the complete upper and magazines.

An "armorer" could change out bolt head, barrel and magazines for lower cost.

A couple of newer versions of the M-16/AR-15 have a larger magwell that can accept 7.62x51 magazines. With a spacer, the smaller magazines can be used (along with special uppers for 5.56, 5.45 or 7.62x39.

Well, some of the AK 100 series actually accept NATO rounds. I suspect that Kalashnikovs in the future will stick to 5.56 only.

But considering the rivalry and hate in Wasteland, I'm doubting that it would happen.

there are enough surplus east bloc firearms in private ownership in the United States that there would not be a problem finding weapons or ammo in either nations calibers of choice. However the 5.56 nato and 7.62 nato are still going to be much more common. The major military powers are not likely going to chamber weapons in the same calibers as potential enemies just so that they cant use their supplies.

Just an FYI etc.

Russian VEPR rifles are being sold in the USA again (MOLOT brand AKM style rifles)

Calibers: 7.62x39, 5.56x45, 5.45x39, 7.62x51, 7.62x54r (AK version not a PSL from Romania)

They all come in multiple barrel lengths from 16 to 23 or 27"

These are in competition with the Izmash brand SAIGA AKMs ("Real AKMs") according to adverts.

Also coming in: Yugo AKMs, Romanian AKMs, Bulgarian AKMs and AK-47s

Plus tons of hybrids (US receivers and foreign parts)

Most are available in several calibers.

WPD

owenmp said:

fyi: there's no such thing as a "7.62x39mmR" or "5.45x39mmR".
you are thinking of 7.62x54R, i.e. the cartridge that the dragunov or the m91/30 (or the SVT40, PK, etc) use. the "R" stands for rimmed or rimfire, not russian.

DJS4000 said:
owenmp said:

fyi: there's no such thing as a "7.62x39mmR" or "5.45x39mmR".
you are thinking of 7.62x54R, i.e. the cartridge that the dragunov or the m91/30 (or the SVT40, PK, etc) use. the "R" stands for rimmed or rimfire, not russian.

Just to make this more clear in this case it means rimmed since the 7.62x54r is a center-fire cartridge

Back