Fallout 2 mod Need Help Creating Mod For Project Idea

V12shear

First time out of the vault
Hello, I am trying to work on a mod for Fallout 2. I'm hoping to get help from the community to make this mod because I think people will really like what I have in store. I have been researching on how to write scripts and view FRMs, editing .pro file, viewing the .dat files, etc. I've been using sFall script editor and FSE. But there are some things that have me kinda stumped for the project I am trying to work on.

1. I was wondering how you would add new GVARs, MVARs, and LVARs in detail. I'm just not too sure how they work. For example, if you view the global.h file you see lines of text that state

#define GVAR_GOOD_MONSTER (5)
#define GVAR_PLAYER_MARRIED (6)
#define GVAR_PLAYER_SEX_LEVEL (194)

What exactly do the (5), (6), and (194) mean and why is there such a big gap from 5 to 6 to 194.

2. What does the 21303 mean? I assumed that is the PID number of an object but where exactly would I find that object. Also, why is there a 0 in between the 21303 and PID_SKULL_POLE?

if ((tile_contains_obj_pid(21303,0,PID_TEMPLE_SKULL_POLE)) and (global_var(GVAR_START_ARROYO_TRIAL) != 0)) then begin
pole:=tile_contains_pid_obj(21303,0,PID_TEMPLE_SKULL_POLE);
move_to(pole,19698,0);
end

3. My next question has to do with maps. After I create a map how do I make it to when you start a new game it loads the correct map and not load Arroyo first.

4. How do I add scripts to maps? In BIS mapper, there is an option to "Create Script" when I press that nothing seems to happen. Do I have to create the script beforehand and add it to the map maybe?

These are the main things that I can think of at this moment that I'm stuck on while I'm making this mod. If anything else comes up I'll update you all. Hopefully, I can get far enough to announce what it is that I am making and I hope you guys will like it.

Hint:
1950s Nevada.jpg

1. That's the default values for the GVARs. Usually it's 0, but doesn't have to be.

2. 21303 is the tile number, 0 is the elevation. Take a look at the tile_contains_pid_obj macro description and it should be obvious. Considering your other questions, I'm blindly assuming you are not using the Script Editor, though?

3. ddraw.ini file -> StartingMap

4. What do you mean? Map scripts? Mapper -> Scripts -> Set Map Script. But I doubt you mean map scripts, so... yes, obviously you must first create a script to be able to use it in the game.

Thanks for the reply! This was very helpful. But I still have a few more questions(sorry).

1. I'm still a little hazy about creating new GVARS. when you said "usually it's 0, but doesn't have to be" did you mean that I can create a new GVAR and put any number I'd like in the parenthesis as long as another GVAR doesn't have that same number.

2. In the ddraw.ini file, it says

StartXPos=140
StartYPos=140
ViewXPos=-1
ViewYPos=-1

I assume the VeiwXPos=-1 and ViewYpos=-1 is the position you first see when viewing your map in-game, but I'm not sure what the X=140 and Y=140 would do in regards to which map you first spawn in.

Thanks

1. Oh, you mean that... The (Number) in global.h is the gvar number in vault13.gam - it can only exist once. However, the numbers in the vault13.gam file are the gvar starting values.

The global.h defines are only for script. The actual "adding" of new gvars is done in the vaul13.gam file.

2. StartX and StartY are the pixel coordinates on the worldmap. 140,140 is probably the position of Arroyo.

Thanks, I really appreciate this! If I have any more question I'll let you know, you seem like you know this game inside and out.

Back