New Vegas writers were told to dial back the Enclave

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
oj9a076jiuxc1.jpeg

It's weird because fans have traditionally assumed the "Enclave is nothing but seven old guys and a former child soldier" was a artistic choice by Obsidian trying to make a point that they got their asses stomped in Fallout 2 and shouldn't exist anymore. Sort of like if you did the Galactic Empire in Star Wars sequels and made it clear no one would ever join these jerkasses again. You know, how they should have done it.

But apparently, it was more Todd Howard being, "These guys are mine, don't play with them."

It's weird because fans have traditionally assumed the "Enclave is nothing but seven old guys and a former child soldier" was a artistic choice by Obsidian trying to make a point that they got their asses stomped in Fallout 2 and shouldn't exist anymore.
And it was. That was why the Project Director had to fight for it.

I don't see Avellone's words there as "we had to dial back our mentions of the Enclave", I see his words as "we were told to not mention the Enclave, but the Project Director fought for it and won. So we could then have the Enclave remnants, Daisy Whitman, Arcade, ED-D (...) in FNV".

Basically, they fought for the right to use the Enclave as they wanted and in the end they did it. As I just pointed out, there are other mentions of the Enclave in FNV besides the Remnants. Avellone seems to have forgotten all those other mentions of the Enclave that are in FNV and even its DLCs (although, to be fair, Arcade and Daisy can be considered part of the Remnants).

Last edited:
And it was. That was why the Project Director had to fight for it.

I don't see Avellone's words there as "we had to dial back our mentions of the Enclave", I see his words as "we were told to not mention the Enclave, but the Project Director fought for it and won. So we could then have the Enclave remnants, Daisy Whitman, Arcade, ED-D (...) in FNV".

Basically, they fought for the right to use the Enclave as they wanted and in the end they did it. As I just pointed out, there are other mentions of the Enclave in FNV besides the Remnants. Avellone seems to have forgotten all those other mentions of the Enclave that are in FNV and even its DLCs (although, to be fair, Arcade and Daisy can be considered part of the Remnants).

Actually, it seems clear, "We had to fight to use ANY of the Enclave as they would rather us have not used them at all."

Todd Howard didn't want them in New Vegas.

Actually, it seems clear, "We had to fight to use ANY of the Enclave as they would rather us have not used them at all."
That is kind of what I am saying. They fought to be able to have the Enclave as they wanted it to be in FNV. Since Todd didn't want them to even mention the Enclave.

Since they really wanted the remnants (and the other mentions of the Enclave that are in the game like ED-E and its backstory) they fought for the right to have them in the game and won.

That is why I don't see those posts from Avellone as disproving that the "Enclave being nothing but seven old guys and a former child soldier" was an artistic choice by Obsidian trying to make a point that they got their asses stomped in Fallout 2 and shouldn't exist anymore. It actually kind of seems to prove the opposite, that they really wanted to show that the Enclave was just finished on the West Coast since they could have just not fought to have the Enclave at all (like Todd wanted) but instead, they went the extra mile to get the Remnants and tell their story.

The role the Enclave had was great, anything more would've undermined what the Chosen one did in Fallout 2. The last hurrah was a great way of ending their stories. I do wonder if they had any more plans for the enclave initially.

The role the Enclave had was great, anything more would've undermined what the Chosen one did in Fallout 2. The last hurrah was a great way of ending their stories. I do wonder if they had any more plans for the enclave initially.

The ending is pretty definitive that they're gone in Fallout 2 but according to Chris they were happy to keep using them.

Then again, it's "their" toy, so why not.

People tend to think of media as emerging in a vacuum, completely formed from inside the brains of creatives, but this isn't true. A lot of media is the result of conversations with executives, having to limit the scope of ambition due to budgetary or time restraints, post-hoc justifying why something turned out the way it did, etc.

A lot of the most memorable parts of your favourite franchises were likely accidental, or otherwise compromises.

If the Remnants was due to Bethesda not wanting Obsidian to touch the Enclave much, doesn't especially matter, since it's how the Enclave should have been portrayed post-Fallout 2 anyway.

The ending is pretty definitive that they're gone in Fallout 2 but according to Chris they were happy to keep using them.

Then again, it's "their" toy, so why not.
Bos-Enclave forever war is Bethesda cannon:wiggle:The war will still be ongoning in 2500. Somehow the enclave will always return.

The Enclave remnants are the only post-Fallout 2 Enclave content where the faction is not a poorly written, contrived piece of garbage.

They were added to Fallout 4 in the next-gen update:irked: They're also present in 76.

They do absolutely nothing too, apparently. There's no plot. They're basically just examining files.

It's not real DLC.

It's all there just to justify having Enclave themed settlement merch.

Back