NMA's Opinion On Vehicles

Kadscaner

NMA’s only mutie
Why is it that we don't see many makeshift vehicles? I mean other than the Boomer's B-52, the highwayman, and VertiBirds, we've got nothing.

Why is it that we don't see many makeshift vehicles? I mean other than the Boomer's B-52, the highwayman, and VertiBirds, we've got nothing.

Most Pre-War vehicles are nothing more than scrap, the Highwayman is an exception but even that needs parts to fix it first. Not only are resources to keep vehicles maintained and fuelled scarce, not many people would know how to fly a plane/helicopter or drive a car.

EDIT: Like I said before, most vehicles are scrap now.

That said, the Master's army used steam powered vehicles so I wouldn't mind seeing vehicles made from scrap.

I think using animals is probably much more efficient though in terms feul would be really hard to get hold. You got to also remeber that the cars in fallout where actually made from nuclear so it would actually be pretty had to get fuel not even sure you could. I always though though if factions had vertibirds they should probably have other vicheals too. There is the monorail though thats pretty good

Gameplay wise, what's the point? Do you want to exchange vehicles for big mostly empty worlds? Even Fallout 3 got that right. Is it rewarding to see that landmark and boost there in five minutes? Half the encounters in Fallout are literally tripping in something/body.

Lore wise, there transport is being restored. You see trucks around major locations, the whole point of the Powder gangers and the NCR CF is that the railway is being brought back. There are also personal vehicles like the Chryslus Highwayman/Crashed. There's also tactics, Fo4 Vertibirds (out of the proper manufacturing explanation, they are pretty solid) and blimps, and bikes all around like the ones just outside Prospector Saloon.

Vehicles are implicitly used by communities in FO2 and New Vegas. I think it makes sense, if most of them work on electric engines and enough people from Vaults or just communities that preserved engineering knowledge exist then why would they make it harder for themselves by not using them?

Vehicles are implicitly used by communities in FO2 and New Vegas. I think it makes sense, if most of them work on electric engines and enough people from Vaults or just communities that preserved engineering knowledge exist then why would they make it harder for themselves by not using them?
Becouse it's c00l and postepoceliptek. its a sci fi post apoc world so it make sens that people hasn't redone nor built anything in 210 years.

The cars weren't Nuclear, they worked on Gasoline (Remember how you get into Navarro) and they also had Hybrids that had an electric enging that could be recharged with Microfusion Cells. The "THEY WORK WITH NUCULAR!" is Fo3 and 4 shit.

Probably already discussed to death, but imo, the drivable vehicles are criminally lacking in the later game.

They serve a gameplay and a lore purpose, and are even more needed in the later titles, as they would replace that insanely moronic fast-travel teleport thing.

And yet, working vehicles should still be a rare thing. First, many of the parts would be broken or rusty. Second, it would cost a huge amount of money to buy and maintain a motorized vehicle. That kind of money only a few could not only afford but also consider that the benefits outweight the cost.

I would say that some factions, like the NCR, the BOS, the Enclave or the Shis could have some, but not enough to use them in all their operations. And some very rich people like Decker, Big Jesus Mordino, John Bishop, Senator Westin or Mister House, could have one or two, but not an entire collection. Some adventurers like the player character might occasionnally have one, but it should be a rare sight that other people would definitely notice.

Anyway no gang of low-life bikers like in Mad Max. They would break them quickly. No mayor of a random village. Not even a town militia.

it should be a rare sight that other people would definitely notice.

I agree. They should be included but be a rare sight to see, to give people like a "Holy shit?!" kinda feeling. It would be badass to see Papa Kahn ride into battle on a makeshift Harley or something.

Or a small farming community that got a small truck working and is under siege from nearby communities trying to get it from them.

Or a small farming community that got a small truck working and is under siege from nearby communities trying to get it from them.

Yeah, something like with the Powder Gangers and the people of Goodsprings. Choose one side to help or say fuck it and take the car for yourself.

Edit: You could even add in a feature where you can't fast travel until you get the car, and when you get it you can carry more. But in order to run it you have to find a fuel source and scrap to maintain it. Scrap metal, rubber, etc.

- Not using car to activate fast-travel. Using cars to remove fast-travel entirelly.

- By rare sight i rather meant. *If that guy has a car, that means he is very rich or very dangerous. Let's kill him, avoid him or hire him to do that specific job.*

If the map is bigger and has viable land to drive on that isn't scattered with tons of shit then cars could be a good option to have in a game. XRE cars in fallout NV was kinda fun and was possible because the Mojave is generally flat and open (iirc) in most areas. I haven't played 2 and I've never had the the opportunity to play BoS so I can't really give my opinion there.

Vehicles are quite valuable and rare, that is why in Fallout 2 when we drive to New Reno we get our car stolen. :lmao:

In Fallout 3 we don't get vehicles because they would have to be "hat vehicles", like the rideable train from Broken Steel:
tumblr_nlhd15e60e1rbmp18o3_1280.jpg

The Gamebryo engine is so shit that the XRE cars have to be operated via invisible explosions that manipulate the Havoc physics to make them move. Bethesda's version of the engine is like a Puppet show that somehow results in a game.

They make an appearance in the all roads comic that chris avellone did...

They do but it was a mistake.

Chris Avellone said:
(When asked about the horses seen in All Roads)"To me, that picture in the comic was an error (no one noticed it until too late) and that "it was never my intention that there were any horses." He went on to say that "there were parts of the New Vegas design where we specifically removed the mention of horses from certain narrative points (one of Raul’s stories originally referenced horses, for example, and we cut them because we didn’t want to imply horses still existed)."

Back