Old games which might/should get remade

All this winter weather reminded me of this very old game, Midwinter. I remember reading about it but not playing it, seems that it was a post-apo -game set in a kind of meteorite-induced perma-winter. There aren't that many post-apo -games set in winter time, are there?

Looks like they planned to remake it but abandoned the idea in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwinter_(video_game)

All this winter weather reminded me of this very old game, Midwinter. I remember reading about it but not playing it, seems that it was a post-apo -game set in a kind of meteorite-induced perma-winter. There aren't that many post-apo -games set in winter time, are there?

Looks like they planned to remake it but abandoned the idea in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwinter_(video_game)
That one new game coming out sounds like that. Forget the name.

I guess the Sands of Time trilogy for PC (the ones I got from GoG suffer graphic problems that prevents the level from looking like an actual level - it just looks like ceaseless blue fog). Another could be classic Sierra adventure games like Police Quest, that are a good mix of the original and the VGA version's gameplay & graphics, and city builder games from Impressions Games.

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy
Erm... the Conspiracy was the PS2 port for the actual Deus Ex on PC.

And it's been getting mods to touch up on it's graphics and gameplay for modern audiences so there's no immediate need for a remake (the latter of the two links is even on Steam for free and can be installed once you buy the actual Deus Ex on Steam):
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx and http://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/Deus_Ex_Revision/

I guess the Sands of Time trilogy for PC (the ones I got from GoG suffer graphic problems that prevents the level from looking like an actual level - it just looks like ceaseless blue fog). Another could be classic Sierra adventure games like Police Quest, that are a good mix of the original and the VGA version's gameplay & graphics, and city builder games from Impressions Games.

Yea, Police Quest. The SWAT-series sort of ended, well not sort of, it ended. With the advent of these modern 'open world' or let's say 'large world' FPS-games, would a police-game be outdated? It could have realistic chases etc. And it could of course have a story like Police Quest.

By remake I am assuming that the games will be pretty much the same (in terms of gameplay) but with modern graphics, control problems fixed, running on modern computers, bugs patched, etc.https://www.gog.com/game/albion
I have to go and sleep. I might post more tomorrow.

STALKER SoC
KOTOR 1-2
System Shock 2
Deus ex 1
Thief 1-2
Fallout 1-2

Midn you this is just graphical and quality of life changes. Nothing big.

Civilization II: Test of Time
This game is awesome. It is the only Civilization game that allows playing three different Civilization games in itself. It allows to play the original Civilization II (it also allows to play an Extended Version of the original Civ II) with better graphics, animated units, etc, it allows to play a Sci-Fi Civilization mode (where you colonize an alien planet) and allows to play a fantasy Civilization mode. In the fantasy mode you choose a race instead of a civilization, it allows to pick between the Elves, Merfolk, Goblins, Stygians (Undeads), Humans (dark ages european like), Buteo (Bird People) and the Infidels (nomadic Eastern Europe and Asiatic humans).

Not only does it allow to play three different Civilization games in one, but in the Fantasy Civilization mode, it exists four different "worlds" that you play at the same time. The Humans, Infidels and Elves are better suited to settle the surface "world", Merfolk are better suited to settle the underwater "world", Goblins and the Stygians are better suited to settle the underground "world" and the Buteo are better suited to settle the sky "world".
The addition of these "worlds" makes the game massive (since if you want to conquer everything or destroy specific races you have to settle or march your armies on the other worlds too). It adds a degree of strategy not seen in any other Civ game to date.

It also has a fantasy scenario called Midgard. Which is heavily focused on Norse, Slavic and Celtic mythology, with figures such as Baba Yaga and The Dagda and events such as Ragnarok making appearances.

All the modes have their own graphics for landscape, creatures, units, cities, etc. They have different resources, units, wonders and technologies, it really make the modes feel different from each other and unique, while still maintaining the gameplay of Civilization II.

I wish all Civilization games from that point on would have the fantasy and sci-fi modes in the base game.

Not much to adjust here, actually. When emulated, it can render beautiful graphics at any resolution with god-tier anisotropics. I'd like to have better controls though, Ryo walks like a robot in these games.
What's already dead can't be revived. The Bioware's NWN modules are a fucking joke to any RPG fan. Diamond Edition from GoG already works fine for any custom module. NWN2 on the other hand, needs a complete rework, not just a remaster.
Deus ex 1
GMDX.

Last edited:
Temple of Elemental Evil: Best DnD game IMO.
Red Alert 1 & 2
Persona 1-3: All of them need a full remake with updated gameplay and graphics, something similar to Persona 4 Golden but for PC and Switch as well.
SMT Nocturne
System Shock 2
Rome Total War
Fallout 1 and 2

Blade Runner was also a pretty cool game that, with the new movie out, deserves not a remake, but a fitting sequel.
Crimson Skies is also more sequel-worthy than remake-worthy.
Z could use a remake; it was a great multiplayer RTS game and while it does have charming pixel graphics and a modern engine update, a proper remake that is faithful could be great.
Some of the Doom engine games deserve a remake as well, like Heretic, Hexen, Strife... Also Heretic 2 and Hexen 2.
Darklands was also fantastic, although it's unlikely that a remake could do it justice these days.

Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines is my favorite for a remake. Re-use all voice & story assets and throw it into a new engine with new visual assets. Guaranteed home run in my book.

Same thing with Tachyon: The Fringe. A snarky space combat sim with Bruce Campbell voicing the protagonist? Sign me the fuck up.

I also remember Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy by Blue Tongue Entertainment very fondly. It was pretty basic, and sometimes easy to exploit, but it was very fun to play.

Obviously, a faithful remake for Fallout 1/2, PS:T and Arcanum would be nice, but it's largely unnecessary. The originals still work fine for me.

Edit:
Ground Control 1! I'd love a remake of GC1 with the same game mechanics in a modern engine.
System Shock 2
Considering they're remaking System Shock, I'd expect System Shock 2 to be next up after they finish that.

Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines is my favorite for a remake. Re-use all voice & story assets and throw it into a new engine with new visual assets. Guaranteed home run in my book.
A Spiritual Successor is more likely to happen thou.
A VtMB successor might also be one of the secret projects at Obsidian since most of Troinka is with them.

Some of you suggested remaking KOTOR's? Hmm, maybe, but how about a sequel? I mean, might as well have full new game. Of course the remake doesn't have to be 1:1 precise re-imagining, can have new stuff in it making it fresh to play. Also crafting/making the items could be better implemented.

Someone mentioned Rome Total War. I guess the sequel wasn't that good? I don't have it yet. I presume they are making mods to it. What I want in that Total War - style game system would be a slightly smaller scale in the battles, maybe company size and detailed info for every soldier etc. The ultimate Roman - era war manager-simulation.

Maybe a proper new version of Silent Hunter 3, 5 seems pretty bad.

Back