Dude101

Vault Fossil
Modder
hmt: Open Fallout Mod (Fallout Tactics)
Author: hmt
Release:
~2005-2011 and 2021
Copyright: Bethesda Softworks LLC.
Open Fallout Mod - The project was originally conceived as content to create modifications carried over to the world of the Fallout I. In terms of style and graphics, as close to the original (12 main maps and a world map). In the course of development, the project grew into 'something more'. The first attempts have been made to create a free "Remake" of the original Fallout on the FT-engine, taking into account its specifics and tactical component.
  • A new dialogue system has been developed and implemented.
  • The mod has reached a new level, and has moved into the Alpha stage. Made many improvements and changes to all aspects of the mod.

• Install Fallout Tactics 1.27.
  • Install Unofficial Patch Plus (optional).
  • Install this mod.
  • - Launch game from the mod shortcut.
  • Does not overwrite the original game (Installation to subfolder).

Dude101 said:
Have you guys been following this? check out the Youtube channel, the maps are looking very nice.

[youtube]

Fallout 1 ported to the Fallout Tactics base. The main objective is not to make a 100% copy, but stay as close to the original as is possible with standard Fallout Tactics resources. For example, some maps are tile-for-tile mirrors of the originals as far as accuracy goes, but instead of incorporating big rats, they are swarmed with roaches. Etc.

"Open" means that original author of the project doesn't plan to do all the work by himself. His role is to establish a platform for further modding. Location maps and world map mostly.
http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Open_Fallout_Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
...will it have the RPG element?
Yes.
The first scenario ("Vault Dweller"), will copy the original Fallout 1.
(rpg element, dialogs, quest etc.) As far as possible (насколько это возможно)

I like the elevator button pop ups but I think you're missing out on one of the few improvements that FOT made over the rpgs. There's no need to script the change in areas, just build each location as a great big multistory map and let the player actually walk between areas or climb up/down the ladders etc.

There's no need to script the change in areas, just build each location as a great big multistory map and let the player actually walk between areas or climb up/down the ladders etc.
google translate:
This was done in older versions. This is inconvenient, impractical and very heavy in the system.
(Так и было сделано в старых версиях. Это неудобно, непрактично и сильно нагружает систему.)

2hmt said:
...will it have the RPG element?
Yes.
The first scenario ("Vault Dweller"), will copy the original Fallout 1.
(rpg element, dialogs, quest etc.) As far as possible (насколько это возможно)

This is really nice!

Do you intend to use the Fallout 1 maps for others scenarios ?

I don't know why but I always thought the Ed character at the entrance of vault13 could make a good prequel to fallout1 (using the same maps).

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ed_(Fallout)

Anyway, keep up the good work !

--
Aguirre

2hmt said:
google translate:
This was done in older versions. This is inconvenient, impractical and very heavy in the system.
Rubbish none of the FO1 maps are that big. If computers could handle Quincy, Great Bend and Cheyenne Mountain ten years ago, modern systems could easily handle the Necropolis, Junktown or the Boneyard as single maps. OTB made an adventure set in the Hub as a single map years ago, it ran perfectly fine back then. I used his Sierra Army Depot map for Deathground seven years ago with very little slow down reported at the time.

Script changing locations just adds to what can go wrong, and wastes one of the few advantages of modding FOT instead of FO2.

Do you intend to use the Fallout 1 maps for others scenarios ?
I will use these maps in two more scenarios (Wasteland Guard & Invation)
Rubbish none of the FO1 maps are that big. If computers could handle Quincy, Great Bend and Cheyenne Mountain ten years ago, modern systems could easily handle the Necropolis, Junktown or the Boneyard as single maps. OTB made an adventure set in the Hub as a single map years ago, it ran perfectly fine back then. I used his Sierra Army Depot map for Deathground seven years ago with very little slow down reported at the time.
I've already tried (in older versions of the mods) different ways of implementing the maps, including combined and multi-level maps.
Multi-level are very inconvenient to edit, and combined don't follow general Fallout approach
(you can say this has been discussed and concluded on fallout.ru site forum).
Script changing locations just adds to what can go wrong, and wastes one of the few advantages of modding FOT instead of FO2.
Bugs always happen (FOT engine is buggy itself), by I test and optimize my scripts extensively for more stable execution
(all bugs can be addressed with time, yet some may require creative approaches).

2hmt said:
Multi-level are very inconvenient to edit,
Slightly inconvenient maybe, a little bit of extra work yes but well worth it.
2hmt said:
and combined don't follow general Fallout approach.
2d isometric and turn based are design decisions, small separate maps for each level and area are engine limitations.

Look I don't get the point of this mod, FOT is more limited than the rpg engine much more is hardcoded and requires more hacking to get around. Unless you are totally enamoured with changing your character sprite's colour or being able to change your stance then why are you wasting your time recreating the engine limitations of the older engine and ignoring the one thing that FOT does that neither of the Fallout rpgs can?

It's such a conception. Remake of F1 at the FOT engine with the addition of tactical and role-playing elements.

Implementing tactics on maps F1 - time-consuming exercise, but I hope that from this something will be released.

One-level maps(no sub-levels) - no good idea, because of this affects the role part of the game.

The division into sub-levels - not just a whim but a necessity in this case.

2hmt
Good luck! :)

Look I don't get the point of this mod, FOT is more limited than the rpg engine much more is hardcoded and requires more hacking to get around. Unless you are totally enamoured with changing your character sprite's colour or being able to change your stance then why are you wasting your time recreating the engine limitations of the older engine and ignoring the one thing that FOT does that neither of the Fallout rpgs can?
I really like working with FOT engine (very good mental exercise)
Current version is more of an archive for debugging and testing the engine, and not a full demo version
(that's why I didn't want this topic to go outside fallout.ru before the alpha version is ready).
Yes, I spend MY time for this development, and I like the result, and I like what I'm doing.
The rest doesn't really matter :)
How much of this mod has been completed? Looks very interesting.
I work on this code alone in my spare time, and I don't have as much of it as I want. That's why
I can't really give any completion estimates. Writing and scripting the dialogue component takes
a lot of time. That's why I already working on creating simple tools. It's unfortunate that my possibilities
are limited, and don't have any technical information about the 'trg' and 'spe' files structure.

Hi 2hmt

Why do you need the information about files of "trg" type? Are you going to create an application for merging trg files?

I would like to suggest that we should make use of all possibilities which FOT engine give us.

Hi.
Why do you need the information about files of "trg" type? Are you going to create an application for merging trg files?
to create a dialogue in the game I need a script editor to work with `trg` & `spe` files.
(edit, copy, create, delete, merge, etc.) I want to create it. (С++)

`Dialog 3.0` (Final version):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCvdPFo7GGM[/youtube]

Warning ! Russian language here.

Very, very nice work !
Now FTactics can be turned into a full RPG ;)

Can't wait to see your next videos!

--
Aguirre

Back