PlayStation Universe interviews Pete Hines

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
PSU interviews Pete Hines. Nothing interesting in there.<blockquote>PSU: How do you intend to make Fallout 3 approachable to those who haven't played the earlier games in the series?

Pete Hines: Well, we make sure you don't have to have played the previous Fallout games to understand what's going on in Fallout 3. Obviously the control scheme should be familiar with folks who have played a 1st or 3rd person game. That was one of the nice things I heard at PAX from a number of folks is that they felt like the basic controls were pretty intuitive and seemed to pick up on things like how to use the Pip-Boy or the V.A.T.S. combat system pretty quickly.</blockquote>

Brother None said:
How do you intend to make Fallout 3 approachable to those who haven't played the earlier games in the series?[/b]

Pete Hines: Well, we make sure you don't have to have played the previous Fallout games to understand what's going on in Fallout 3.
Holy shit that's profound Pete.

He just repeated the question as an answer to itself.

He is a very good public relations manager.
He is also a very talented talker.
I really wish he was in story depatment....

Cimmerian Nights said:
Brother None said:
How do you intend to make Fallout 3 approachable to those who haven't played the earlier games in the series?[/b]

Pete Hines: Well, we make sure you don't have to have played the previous Fallout games to understand what's going on in Fallout 3.
Holy shit that's profound Pete.

He just repeated the question as an answer to itself.

Wouldn't that be confirming that the question raised is one that has been thought about and addressed by BS?

One way of making it more approachable is that you don't have to have previous FO knowledge to play FO3.

I agree with ArmorB. Sounds like he answered the question asked "How do you make this game approachable to people who haven't played the first two..." with "We make it approachable by ensuring you can understand this game without having any prior knowledge of the previous games"

It sounds more like "We don't give a fuck what happened before, we are making this as we like Fallout to be."

In my opinion his words state the following : "we will annihilate a legendary PC franchise with Fallout 3 and from then on we can count on console users to buy the following sequels........and end of story for PC users"

Such a shame to see a franchise go down like this :(

I'm pretty sure that's what you are (probably legitimately) biased towards thinking it sounds like. It actually doesn't sound anything like that at all.

quetzilla said:
I'm pretty sure that's what you are (probably legitimately) biased towards thinking it sounds like. It actually doesn't sound anything like that at all.

I personally think you are deluding yourself with false hope given to you by a man whose job it is to make a turd sound like a pile of gold.

Yes, open your eyes a bit wider. I have just read that Bethesda Games Studios did not want to develop Fallout 3 for PC at the beginning. This is unthinkable. Now they have acquired full rights to the franchise so they can do pretty much anything with it......This basically means that if they develop Fallout 4 as a formula 1 racing game, they can do that too. The future looks pretty grim, don't be so gullible

Szeder said:
I have just read that Bethesda Games Studios did not want to develop Fallout 3 for PC at the beginning. This is unthinkable.

Where did you read that? Xbox360 is their primary platform, but as far as I know it was always intended to be X360/PS3/PC.

Szeder said:
This basically means that if they develop Fallout 4 as a formula 1 racing game, they can do that too. The future looks pretty grim, don't be so gullible

Basically? More like exactly! Finally, more than one car in Fallout!

What are people's thoughts when I say "Super Fallout Karts"?

I myself have images of "Super Bombad Racing" appearing in my mind.

Yes, maybe Bethesda will open up new vistas for the franchise! In our consumer society gamers will "eat" what they get. With proper manipulation they will believe that Fallout 5 F-14 Simulator is closer to the original franchise than Fallout 2......I think I'm gonna be sick ....

Szeder said:
Yes, maybe Bethesda will open up new vistas for the franchise! In our consumer society gamers will "eat" what they get. With proper manipulation they will believe that Fallout 5 F-14 Simulator is closer to the original franchise than Fallout 2......I think I'm gonna be sick ....

Those damn Super Mutants have taken to the skies, now you as a pilot of the Vault Air Force must take them out!

Finally, some good humor and intelligent people. I'm getting tired of trying to convince "zomfg Fallout 3 will be cool" people on youtube....

Well its more like the reality of video gaming having kicked in a while ago, giving me the revelation that most games these days are quite badly designed.

Not saying that the past didn't have its loads of stinkers but they usually disappeared into obscurity.

Plus I have developed a real distaste for remakes or sequels these and that is not just games but also other various media.

Apparently producers wish to ride on the glory of past successes more and more these days, claiming to have been possessed by the original spirit of the game/media but really need to remake it into a complete different form to suit the times.

And no, I do not live in the past.
If a remake or sequel is good, I will acknowledge it but so far the missers outnumber the successes.

Well I'm so relieved that first person shooter fans found the control scheme for a first person shooter intuitive...

Fans of the original games? You don't even have to have played or heard of the originals. If you can play Halo or CoD you can play Fallout 3 very intuitively.

Great tendency... "let's make it easy for everyone, even if we sacrifice everything the game had"

So....no children in Fallout 3? What will be next? I think we will see a time when games have to be full proof concerning content, I can visualize Bethsoft PR person :

"Yes we removed sex, drugs, alcohol, brutality, swearing etc..from the next fallout so even my grandpa can play it safely"

And they will rub their hands in acquisitive silence waiting for extra money from the "new" audience. Bravo!

Back