Please help - Fallout 3 (XBOX) character movement issue

UndrState

First time out of the vault
Hello folks,

I'm getting pretty desperate here. I've got this movement issue, and it's driving me bonkers. Let me start off by saying that I am neither encumbered (carrying too much weight) nor do I have an injured limb.

Very simply, when my character is moving straight forward, his movement speed jerks around from full speed, to slow to outright stopping for no apparent reason. Issue does not seem to affect sidestepping or moving backwards.

I had had this character I'd spent over 110 hours on. Somewhere along the lines this issue crept up, but I thought that it was a consequence of using an exploit to have more than one compagnion, so I put up with it. But I started a new character, and low and behold same issue as early as when you are the 10 year old version of yourself. So, I deleted everything - the install of the game I had made on the XBOX HD, the DLC (I had all of them) the saves :-( and cleared the Xbox cache. I even, after reading about it on the Bethesda forums (technical help there for Fallout 3 is a ghost town), followed instructions to clear some particular cache relating to the game itself (instructions were to hold both bumpers and X whilst the game booted), but no dice.

Now, I know I'm not the only one out there that has had this issue, Google has yielded that much, but no solutions.

I'm hoping some brains wiser than mine might have a solution for this. Help me, I love this game but with this glitch / bug / issue I've got to say it's robbing me of any pleasure playing.

I hate to be the guy to make the obvious doofus comment right away, but is there any possibility the problem could be with your controller? I was having similar issues with Bioshock and it turned out my left stick was on the way out.

I hate to be the guy to make the obvious doofus comment right away, but is there any possibility the problem could be with your controller? I was having similar issues with Bioshock and it turned out my left stick was on the way out.

God and sweet Jesus, I'm going to shed tears of joy out of one eye and remorse out of the other if this proves to be the case.

I have a 2nd controller, and will test this out this evening when I get home from work. Will update.

I know you probably aren't going to like my answer but, get a PS3. Way less technical problems. I remember having to get my Xbox 360 fixed three times in one year once. I only use an Xbox for Xbox exclusive games now.

But the PS3 has serious problems with both Fallout 3 and New Vegas because of its shared memory pool. Sure it'll run smoothly at first, but when you get up beyond having 80% of the map explored everything starts to chug and then eventually the .esp for the save is too large to load.

Back