Prometheus Wept

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
de5524d206f8bd7a2982f91111c78507_original.jpg

Yet another post-apoc turn based rpg announced this time from the developers of Vigilantes. Steam.

Now on kickstarter:

It's a turn based RPG in a post-digital world and looks fairly interesting. Did any of you play his previous game Vigilantes?

Did any of you play his previous game Vigilantes?

Story and writing in general are pretty basic, but entertaining.

Combat has a lot of depth, with several different weapons of every type (unarmed has different attacks). Each of main antagonists (mobsters, survivalists and cult) is different- from equipment they use, stats of their members to their rackets.

It's a bit repetitive- you scout for enemy encounters, fight the enemy, gather intel about one of the smaller bosses, eliminate the boss/racket. After you got them all you can gather intel about the main boss and eliminate him. Repeat for the 2 remaining factions (nothing forces you to focus on 1, you can go after all 3 at once).

Difficulty is alright (played on hard and had a challenge, but nothing too frustrating).

You can spare or kill the enemies- turning off killing blows lowers your crit chance. Killing affects the ending you get.

There's base building (similar to XCOM- infirmary, training rooms, etc) and crafting (also similar to XCOM).

TL;DR: Combat heavy, a bit repetitive. Overall recommended.

Hi!

Daithi the developer here. Thanks for sharing the news about the Prometheus Wept @Proletären ! If anyone has any questions about the game, or what it's like for a small studio (1 full time dev, 2 artists part time) to work on something of this scale, feel free to ask!

I'm aware there are loads of post apoc games, and I'll nudge Prometheus Wept in a slightly different direction. The typical routes to the fall of civilization (WMD, natural disaster) are avoided for what appears to be a computer virus. While the virus disabled most digital devices, it granted machine learning capabilities to a limited number of more complex computer systems, which are beginning to emerge as the world's first true AI's. Unfortunately, these AIs are quite insane by human standards. So while there are outlaws, the majority of the action is driven by conflict between these AIs and human communities. This is one of them.

ld36QBs.jpg

@Alphons - you've hit on my biggest issue with instance based turn based games (like X-Com, Vigilantes) and the reason I switched from this format to a traditional RPG for Prometheus Wept: repetitiveness. There's a lot more work in a trad RPG though, hopefully it was a good decision :)

Last edited:
Best of luck! I decided to back the game. I have yet to give up hope that we can get something good after Fallout.

A lot of things obviously. Fallout is unique in a lot of ways and I feel that a lot of never games fail to have that novel feel.

The combination of the Mad Max style wasteland with a 1950:s retro future aesthetic makes the game look truly uniqu. Then you have the open ended gameplay with loads of freedom in choices. You can go everywhere right from the start. The setting, the lore and the story is really well presented an most locations are unique with a special feel of their own. Necropolis for example is a location that just have that really atmospheric feel to it. But most locations do.

Somehow Fallout managed to tick a lot of boxes in the right way and really speak to me (and others). It is probably really hard to recreate that since you need to have: a good setting, lore, story, artstyle, player agency and more.

I think I can do well with the locations. A few people have gotten in touch about the Drag, a worn down fishing village, where you must pacify the crazed residents. The setting avoids the more common post-apoc tropes and I've been thinking about how the various communities operate for a long time. Two things I believe I can do better than most RPGs are variety - there will be substantial shifts in gameplay, setting and tone for each act, and reactivity. In many RPGs your actions don't have notable consequences - for Prometheus Wept, virtually every mission which leads up to the act finale will modify the difficulty of it in some way.

This is a nail-biter by now. If it doesn't get funding it's will be soo close. Best of luck to you!

Yeah, it's been a rollercoaster. Hopefully the 48 hour left notification will push it over the line. Cheers!

Hey @Proletären - some extra funding would be nice, but I'm really grateful to just have hit the goal. The idea of spending a month of dev time on Kickstarter and not getting funded would be big blow to morale

And now it's funded! Lovely.

@TheVigilante, I don't know which art direction you are going for but I could really recommend you to take a look at ATOM RPG Trudograd for some visual inspiration. I'm playing it now and it looks incredible for being a low budget indie RPG. Apart from having, in my opinion, some really nice visuals you can also lock the camera in an isometric angle to get that perfect gaming experience. That's a really neat feature and should be a requirement for all future RPG:s. I know Vigilantes has a fixed camera, will Prometheus Wept do the same thing?

I very much recommend Trudograd as a current year RPG to be inspired by, both in terms of gameplay and visuals. In regards to my earlier comment about Fallout I actually think Trudograd manages to get a lot of it done right.

Last edited:
I played the original Atom and thought it looked very good. Prometheus Wept currently has the same camera setup as Vigilantes, I'm planning to have another look at how the camera works though.

Ok! Then I can really recommend that you check out Trudograd, it's a refined experience compared to the original. Character creation is overhauled, to give one example, and it's much easier to choose abilities now (perks). It's just great and probably the best modern "isometric" RPG I have played as of yet.

This development log covers the work on Prometheus Wept in Dec 2021, including the addition of a healing manager, writing & the creation of a number of character models.

Hi again!

Here's the development log for January 2022.

The focus this month has been on creating and adding the content for act 1. In particular, an optional objective, to discover the source of the outbreak in the Drag, and the second mission for act 1 has been added. All the groundwork is in place for act 1 mission 3, including an extra map which was created earlier this week. Environment weapons have been re-introduced, including an energy cell, which can be wirelessly activated by the protagonist to damage nearby enemies, and the lethality system has been revised. If you have any questions or feedback, do let me know :)

Back