PSM reviews Fallout: BOS

Takashi

Chimichangas!
psm-fbos.txt

*stabs Randy with a spork*

PSM 100% independent playstation 2 magazine

Pfft...

My ass, I haven't read any reviews from them in a long time. And believed close to ten percent.

GMR gave it a 6 of 10, much more inline with all other reviews. Haven't read OPM in a while, anyone know what they gave it?

*wipes ass with PSM magazine*

Such insight!

Unlike the PC games, where you're given the arduous task of making your own character from scratch (what's up with that, Tim?), this game gives you three characters to choose from and customize as you see fit (gee, didn't the PC games give you that option as well?)

Unprecendented control. Staggering number of abilities. The staggering number of abilities (which is generally a smaller list than what's in Dark Alliance 2) are shared by all characters (unlike Dark Alliance 2). There exists only 7 unique abilities spread out among the three characters, and they're even more uninteresting -- downright gimmicky in Cain, the ghoul's case (he can heal from stepping in pools of radiation which largely only exist in the game's second chapter -- stupid). By the time I was nearing the end of the third chapter, the majority of my multitude of "skills" were maxed out. I suppose the options lie in your choosing to avoid the more gimmicky skills such as "Man's Best Friend", the pathetic Dogmeat imitation. I know I did.

The guy doesn't mention the game's piss-poor attempt at item randomization (no two games are unlike!), so I suppose this is another one of those reviews where the reviewer spent a limited amount of time with the game at best. That, along with his obvious lack of knowledge on things Fallout, makes for a very worthless review indeed.

Ugh, I hope this was worth my effort...

PSM said:
Article
Take one of the most popular PC role-playing games of the past decade, combine it with the gameplay of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, throw in a little Hunter: The Reckoning to taste, and you end up with one of the better action RPGs in recent memory -- and certainly one of the most unique.

Set in and below the post-apocalyptic Wasteland, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel doesn't look nearly as good as other games based on the same engine, but it more than makes up for this fact in gameplay and personality. Building on the combat system in Dark Alliance, the game allows you to lock onto enemies (although it'd be nice if it didn't auto-switch to the nearest enemy at all times) and perform evasive rolls and flips while doing so, giving you much more control over your character. Unlike the BGDA games, however, you're locked into one pulled-back camera psoition; it would have been really nice to zoom in closer to see the damage you're dishing out in more detail.

Fallout: BOS really shines in its character customization and interaction with other characters. Unlike the PC games, where you basically built your character from the ground up, FBOS provides you with three starting characters and then lets you use experience points to increase their prowess in a staggering number of categories. This gives players unprecedented control over what their character will ultimately become. The melee and ranged weapons are equally numerous and varied, with armor and explosives rounding out the upgrades.

The storyline and dialog are great Mad Max-ish fare, and definetly not for the kids. Any game with two-headed mutant cows can't take itself too seriously, and that's a good thing -- the dialog, NPCs, and situations are all darkly humorous and very memorable. It's a great game universe.

Luckily, you can share it with a friend -- and not just in a "watch me do this!" way. FBOS has a two-player co-op mode that makes taking on the radioactive monstrosities of The Wasteland more fun, but also introduces a bit of competition as you both go after the spoils of your victories.

So if you've been longing for a good action RPG, and would like to take on something other than skeletons and dragons for a change, FBOS is a great choice. Who knew that the apocalypse could be a good thing?

PSM Final Score: 8 Very Good
A suprisingly deep, well-written, and entertaining action RPG that offers lots of customization, co-op play, and a great game universe.

Captions
See that red outline? That tells you you're locked onto an enemy -- one of FBOS's nicer combat features.

And here's my commentary:

Take one of the most popular PC role-playing games of the past decade, combine it with the gameplay of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, throw in a little Hunter: The Reckoning to taste, and you end up with one of the better action RPGs in recent memory -- and certainly one of the most unique.
I see... Combining three old games somehow makes something unique? I see you suffer from short-term memory problems as well.

Set in and below the post-apocalyptic Wasteland, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel doesn't look nearly as good as other games based on the same engine, but it more than makes up for this fact in gameplay and personality.
I see, so what you're saying is that this game is inferior to older games in terms of graphics, but that is compensated by the gameplay, eh? Let's look further...

Building on the combat system in Dark Alliance, the game allows you to lock onto enemies (although it'd be nice if it didn't auto-switch to the nearest enemy at all times) and perform evasive rolls and flips while doing so, giving you much more control over your character. Unlike the BGDA games, however, you're locked into one pulled-back camera position; it would have been really nice to zoom in closer to see the damage you're dishing out in more detail.
Whoa, conflicting messages! You say that FPOS is great for "builiding" onto the old combat system, yet it has all those flaws like not being able to zoom in or control where you're aiming. How is that "giving you much more control over your character" if it's all automated, and poorly at that?

Here's where the shit starts to get good.

Fallout: BOS really shines in its character customization and interaction with other characters. Unlike the PC games, where you basically built your character from the ground up, FBOS provides you with three starting characters and then lets you use experience points to increase their prowess in a staggering number of categories. This gives players unprecedented control over what their character will ultimately become.
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Character customization?!?!?!?
WTF is he talking about here? Is that referring to how you can chose between three characters? I honestly am completely lost about this comment. Anybody know what he's talking about?

It's a great game universe.
Teh Irany.

FBOS has a two-player co-op mode that makes taking on the radioactive monstrosities of The Wasteland more fun, but also introduces a bit of competition as you both go after the spoils of your victories.
You mean it wasn't a challenge before?

A suprisingly deep, well-written, and entertaining action RPG that offers lots of customization, co-op play, and a great game universe.
Keep telling yourself that.

See that red outline? That tells you you're locked onto an enemy -- one of FBOS's nicer combat features.
I still can't believe how this "feature" is being mentioned like it's some revolutionary gameplay factor. You don't see people praising games for allowing you to save your progress now, do you?

Nadia, one of the three playable characters, is hot -- and we don't mean radioactive.
Huuuurhuur!

This is insane. From what I've seen and heard, Fo1 + Fo2 both have A LOT more character customization than BoS -- not the other way around!

And contradicting himself? First the gameplay rocks, and then it has big flaws? Oooh, and that red outline when aiming at enemies...awe-inspiring...I've never seen anything like it before.

Are these fellas getting bribed or something? Reviews like these make me become paranoid.

Its PSM, they're the magazine that has the swimsuit issue of video game characters every year or so. I wouldn't expect anything less than a 8 or 9 for BoS from them honestly.

Ozrat said:
Whoa, conflicting messages! You say that FPOS is great for "builiding" onto the old combat system, yet it has all those flaws like not being able to zoom in or control where you're aiming. How is that "giving you much more control over your character" if it's all automated, and poorly at that?

Well, the best part is most of the reviews so far have said that dodging and rolling thing actually sucks since it screws with your ability to actually fight anything. They also say that crouching is pointless other than to crawl under stuff.

Here's where the shit starts to get good.

Fallout: BOS really shines in its character customization and interaction with other characters. Unlike the PC games, where you basically built your character from the ground up, FBOS provides you with three starting characters and then lets you use experience points to increase their prowess in a staggering number of categories. This gives players unprecedented control over what their character will ultimately become.
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Character customization?!?!?!?
WTF is he talking about here? Is that referring to how you can chose between three characters? I honestly am completely lost about this comment. Anybody know what he's talking about?

He's refering to the three characters and how you can pick and choose a bunch of skills each level which basically all do the same thing. +5% Critical Chance [using weapon type(ranged/melee)].

It's UNPRECEDENTEDLY LAME.

Not to mention many of the people who have bought the game said that by the time you reach the end, the characters all have about the same skills because of the LACK of choices.

I still can't believe how this "feature" is being mentioned like it's some revolutionary gameplay factor. You don't see people praising games for allowing you to save your progress now, do you?

The best part is that the thing doesn't aim ahead for you, i.e. lead the target. The farther you are away from the target, the less likely this kewl sistim will actually do it's job. If you run up on things, though, all you have to do is hold down the fire button and keep switching the target.

Really, it's about as half assed as it gets judging by what I've heard about it.

Hmm the red outline of enemies, I seem to remember both Fallouts having this.

BOS character Customization is BETTER than Fallout's!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF??????????

This review just reeks of whoreishness. Nothing else can explain the utter contradictory and asinine comments this review is composed of.

It's PSM. Never take what they say at face value.

These are the guys who said, "Beyond Good and Evil is fantastic and amazing, worth every cent! Oh, but it's over in about 12 hours, so it's only good for a rental."

And then they gave it a 9. I really don't think reviewers know what to review anymore, but I can tell you that playing a previous Fallout game is in no way a prerequisite for knowing if a game sucks or doesn't suck.

Although this one sucks.

Basil Zen said:
...but I can tell you that playing a previous Fallout game is in no way a prerequisite for knowing if a game sucks or doesn't suck.

It can when the developers pulled some stupid, lame shit that was evident from day one, especially so when the errors pile up so much that they have to rely on the old standby of "alternate timeline". Then you can take what you know of the Fallout universe, put it into a blender at Frappé, feed it to a child with a very odd mix of Down's Syndrome and autism, and then what they spout out in random bursts would be the equivalent to how the F:POS designers display their lack of anything resembling talent in this game.

It didn't help when those morons said some incredibly stupid shit in the interviews that made it clear that they were a few bulldykes short of a bike gang.

Offical Play Station Magizine

Official Play Station magazine

Dove:
Haven't read OPM in a while, anyone know what they gave it?

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4572

4too:
Official U.S. Play Station Magazine, March 2004, issue78: devoted a fifth of page 98 to a FO:BOS review. 2.5 of 5 stars.

Champions of Norrath was scored higher than BG:DA2, but recall CoN is touting the EverQuest vision of fantasy nirvana. EverQuest is a Sony vehicle, and so is the little ol' PS2.

Or, maybe Sony could afford the services of Snowblind while Interplay can't even find the money to spread out the launching of FO:BOS and BG:DA2.

4too

Sony saw that they had two good things and put them together. They could easily offer them more than a dried-up old has-been of a company that is just getting routinely defiled by a French man humping on each leg.

BG:DA3? Nope. There's going to be something else. I also have to wonder how long Interplay has the engine, and how many years they plan on milking that until they have to go into the handheld market because either they think it is the wave of the future or they can't afford to be in the console market much longer.

I don't think I've seen PSM give a game below a six in a long, long time. They're Sony's bitch magazine, after all.

Stampede said:
I don't think I've seen PSM give a game below a six in a long, long time. They're Sony's bitch magazine, after all.

Nice Av, Stampede, I'm at the end about now.

But OPM is Sony's official bitch magazine and they gave a 2.5/5 (5/10) to FO:BOS.

And Champions of Norrath used a redone engine different from BG:DA2. That's what the Benjamins'll getcha.

Back