Purpose of targeting Dry Wells? Better target?

NMLevesque

Commie Ghost
Hitting the I-15 makes sense as a way to cripple the NCR. Though looking at maps some routes are never explained as being broken*, it's definitely their best route into the Vegas valley. Whereas I don't see the strategic value of Dry Wells. I assume it was just for the sake of referencing Ulysses history, or for his revenge by any other name, but it got me thinking. What would Ulysses even target to destroy the Legion? What roads might he cut? Obviously limitations of the game prevented the most sensible option: sailing down the Colorado, with any number of places to get off including Lake freaking Mead. Kind of hard to cut off a river. Seems like highway 40 and/or 93 would be their I-15. Though if they're going to conquer the NCR, they have quite a few options further south, and the problem starts to expand to more than just New Vegas.

*E.g the 40 east then any number of roads north including the 95 (although the in game map has the mountain range on the southern end weirdly IIRC). Or southeast on the 95 from Broken Hills. It does say Yucca Mountain is dangerous and of course Area 51 would have been hit hard, but there are plenty of ways to get around it. As well as known town along the way, Caliente. Which is only cut off from the east as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Umm I don't know. I always imagined it was just because it was the closest base to the Legion. Why it got nuked/bombed rather than just taken over I don't know. I think it ws quite a big base though. I guess is a bit weird as the legion use Gorilla tatics in the mojave and have smaller bases. But yet you would of thought attacking along the I-15 would of made the most logical sense

Well, you get some kewl Legion armor out of nuking Dry Wells.
As for the purpose of bombing it, Dry Wells was formerly the camp of the old Twisted Hair tribe Ulysses belonged to (before Vulpes fucked them over and assimilated them into the Legion).
Nuking it is Ulysses' way of saying: "If I can't have my old camp back, fuck you. You can't have it, either."

Umm I don't know. I always imagined it was just because it was the closest base to the Legion. Why it got nuked/bombed rather than just taken over I don't know. I think it ws quite a big base though. I guess is a bit weird as the legion use Gorilla tatics in the mojave and have smaller bases. But yet you would of thought attacking along the I-15 would of made the most logical sense
It's guerrilla btw, and I couldn't agree more about attacking the I-15. It's their best route by far. The shortest, least dangerous route that goes straight from their biggest trading center the Hub. Though it'd also be the easiest for the Legion to access. Quickest route to the Divide is basically a straight line through the densest areas of NCR occupation, including the freaking dam, and going north is way the hell out of their territory (though its raider factions were a plus). If Caesar had any sense he would have cut Highway 15 instead of the Divide. Let them struggle their way through that hellhole.

It's guerrilla btw, and I couldn't agree more about attacking the I-15. It's their best route by far. The shortest, least dangerous route that goes straight from their biggest trading center the Hub. Though it'd also be the easiest for the Legion to access. Quickest route to the Divide is basically a straight line through the densest areas of NCR occupation, including the freaking dam, and going north is way the hell out of their territory (though its raider factions were a plus). If Caesar had any sense he would have cut Highway 15 instead of the Divide. Let them struggle their way through that hellhole.

I-15 to Vegas could simply be more heavily guarded. I can imagine that the NCR have already fortified it against raiders, whereas the Divide was a new route, less developed, and easier to shut off. Caesar is already working on stifling I-15 at its weakest points, closer to Vegas, by stirring up the Khans and the Fiends. I wouldn't have been surprised if he also had plans to use the Powder Gangers at some point down the line as well.

Isn't Dry Wells pretty populated? It looks to me like a bit of a Legion training ground, so nuking it to oblivion will not only cut off potential soldiers, but also a major supply line for the Legion.

If Ulysses wanted to take out the Legion, he should've nuked Fortification Hill. That would kill the Legion. Their leadership gets knocked out as well as a good portion of their troops.

The fort is only their base of Operations in the Mojave. Attacking a big settlement back in their own territory that also is a sort of Trading port for them damages them more than just nuking one camp.

The Fort is where a massive fraction of their troops are held. Take a look over the walls of the Fort next time you're there and you'll see it's absolutely massive.

Back