Question Concerning Targeted Shots and the Sniper Perk

DwayneGAnd

Look, Ma! Two Heads!
I read this on the Fallout wikia site for the Sniper perk in Fallout 1 and 2:

To Sniper characters who are used to hitting their opponents in the eyes, and thus already enjoyed a 60% critical chance for most of their hits, a further increase in the critical hit chance will not necessarily be game-changing. Criticals to the eyes will cause enough extra damage over torso hits to still be worth the extra AP, and with ordinary levels of luck, aiming for the eyes will still yield the highest rate of criticals to begin with.

Burst Fire characters hit only the torso which has a small chance of criticals. Whereas according to the paragraph above that I found, aiming at the eyes has the highest chance of inflicting a critical hit, and thus we won't see any change in our critical chance with Sniiper with a Luck of 6 which would give us a 60% chance of criticals.

So now I'm wondering: if a character focuses on targeted shots, should they have more Luck than a burst fire character? Maybe even have it maxed by endgame for even higher critical chance? What do you think?

I'm fairly certain the sniper roll is a separate roll from normal crit rolls, so you still enjoy higher crit chances, and there is diminishing returns for further investment in Luck. If the 60% for eye shots is right, then you'd have 0.4×0.4=0.16 chance of not critting, i.e. 84% eye crit chance with 6 luck.

so there's really no point to raising Luck above what you need for Better Criticals if you're a sniper who uses targeted shots, but you can go nuts if being a Burst Fire character with Fast Shot?

Somewhat, yes. I just checked Per's guide, and it says it seems to be an independent roll at least.

There's still some diminishing returns for non-aimed though, as you get your luck as the base crit chance.
So 0.92×0.2 for 8 luck, 0.91×0.1 for 9 luck, as the chance to not crit.
Not sure if crits can also roll a 1 like hits and auto fail. I assume crits don't use a d20, but a d100, so 10 luck investment can make sense.

so what is your recommendation for both targeted shots builds and burst fire builds in terms of Luck?
My recommendation is to use brain and figure it out yourself.

Start with no less than 4 LK, no more than 8. There's +2 luck bonuses in both games, available well before you will get sniper, but could mess with your perk picks if you don't get them in time for Better Criticals.
Though I don't remember if a patch fixes the one in Fallout 1, so maybe start with at least 5 and not 4.

Consider that sniper will not be available for most of the game.
You may be better off with 10 AG than 10 LK regardless of whether you have taken fast shot or not.
But in-game bonuses, Gain Agility or action boy/girl could help getting there anyway.
Plan your perks out in advance. Use drugs to get perks you can't take with your base stats.

Going exclusively for late game damage output might make the mid-game an annoyance.

I dunno, that's all, I guess.

So max Luck if Gifted or Stupid, but not if neither since you wouldn't have enough points to distribute for other skills?

Back