Questions about mods

3371-Alpha

Ol' Mac Gamer
I've recently returned to Fallout 1 & 2 and have a few questions about some of the mods out there. First I've noticed there are 2 branches of Sfall, the official and one by a user named "Crafty". Although I see advantages to used Crafty's over the obsolete 1.18 when it comes to Fallout 1, what do you recommend using for Fallout 2? Further, besides graphics hacks and some engine fixes, what does Sfall do? What I mean by this is I've seen some mods, mostly scripts, require it. What changes would prevent such scripts from functioning on non-Sfall versions? Also does the MIB88 Megamod incorporate the restoration project? I noticed it added somethings included in the Restoration project such as the Abbey so I was curious.

Further, besides graphics hacks and some engine fixes, what does Sfall do? What I mean by this is I've seen some mods, mostly scripts, require it. What changes would prevent such scripts from functioning on non-Sfall versions?
It provides the support of additional script functions and global/hook script mode that the vanilla game engine lacks. Those scripts won't work properly or at all without it.

I'm still figuring it out myself, but I do think that most mods you'll find today, will use sfall. The ones which requires script changes at least (so story altering mods, engine behavior mods etc').

For instance: you don't need sfall if you want to add a new item, since its just adding a proto file and index, which was in the original game. You do, however, need sfall if you intend to add Abbey map from Restoration Project, since(most likely) the script for the Abbey map and related critters etc' were scripted using sfall functions.

If a mod needs sfall, it most likely ships sfall. So just install mods that you want.

Back