QuickFist

DwayneGAnd

Look, Ma! Two Heads!
This is a build that I have recently taken through the game, one that I have never tried before.

Due to the fact that Fast Shot affects all weapons, including Melee weapons and Unarmed in Fallout 1, but not in Fallout 2, this build can only be done in Fallout 1. This is the only build where you can achieve the lowest AP cost per attack when using the right weapons. Only 1 AP per attack! This allows you to attack much more during your turn. Although Fast Shot doesn't allow you to make aimed blows, which can affect your damage and critical rate, both change dramatically once you get Slayer.

Here is how to make this build:

With Gifted:

S - 6
P - 5
E - 9
C - 2
I - 9
A - 9
L - 7

Without Gifted but not Stupid:

S - 6
P - 5
E - 8
C - 1
I - 7
A - 8
L - 5

Stupid:

S - 6
P - 5
E - 9
C - 1
I - 3
A - 8
L - 8

Traits: Fast Shot and either Gifted or Small Frame

As with all builds, you'll want to have Agility maxed by the end of the game for more Action Points. Small Frame grants a bonus to Agility which is why builds that do not take Gifted start with 8 Agility. You need to max your Strength by the end of the game for more damage. 6, plus the implant, and Power Armor allows you to achieve this. You only need 5 Perception plus the implant to get Better Criticals, which is all a Hand to Hand character needs Perception for. Endurance needs to be higher for melee characters instead of ranged characters because they need more health, being open to damage. Extra points for Gifted and Stupid characters goes into Luck instead of Charisma because Charisma is a useless stat, and the higher Luck can be good for finding special encounters.

To be able to attack with a cost of 1 AP per attack, your endgame weapons are the Power Fist and the Super Sledge. Both had lower cost of action points per attack than other stronger melee ranged weapons. It is recommended that you get the Super Sledge as soon as possible because hand to hand characters are much weaker in the beginning than ranged characters. Most of the melee weapons you will get aren't as strong as the starting Small Guns.

Another good weapon to add to your arsenal is the Ripper. The damage may not be as high as the Super Sledge and costs an extra action point, but it does more damage than the Power Fist and also has the weapon penetrate perk which allows you to ignore a portion of your enemies' damage threshold. The Power Fist is your ultimate endgame weapon that you'll be using most of the time because it doesn't have knockback like the Super Sledge.

Tag Melee Weapons, Lockpick, and Speech at the start of the game. If Stupid, tag Unarmed or Sneak instead of Speech. Since you don't have access to aimed shot, raise both Unarmed and Melee Weapons to about 120%. Raise Lockpick to 100%, Sneak to 120%, and Speech to about 120%. Divide the rest of your points between Doctor and Throwing. Throwing grenades is a good long range option for attacking your foes from a distance. Sneak allows you to get closer to your foes before they initiate combat. Tougher enemies such as Super Mutants will be able to detect you at very close range, forcing you to initiate combat yourself to close the gap (Bonus Move helps) and attack.

You'll want to take two ranks of Action Boy for more action points. Bonus Move is better than taking rank three because you'll need more points for movement to get closer to your opponents once you get close enough in sneak mode without them initiating combat. Bonus Hth Attacks further reduces AP costs. Better Criticals and Slayer are necessary for more damage.

As with all other Hand to Hand builds, be sure to take advantage of cover to protect yourself in case enemies outside of your range detect you in combat.

Back