Retro style?

Ausir

Venerable Relic of the Wastes
Myself, I'm hoping that they won't make it yet another generic modern post-apocalypse, and will go for an 80s/early 90s retro vibe.

Of course, it wasn't retro originally when developed in 1988, but I think it would make sense for it to become retrofuturistic now, but with 1980s/1990s retro style instead of 1950s like in Fallout. This is the only way the original Wasteland backstory, with a nuclear war between the US and USSR in 1998, could remain canon without a major retcon.

Pretty much agree with that one, perhaps with a little emphasis on 80's culture and fads.

Perhaps a little silly but perhaps references to old media storage formats like Betamax and VHS tapes, and of course 8 tracks.

Inxile wouldn't do bad having a look at some of the Apocalyptic B Movies that were made around the time.
Most of them are terrible of course but they should give some inspiration.

This guy:

WL_ani_104.gif

100% agrees. And I personally don't want to see any top modern weapons either, because this stuff is in just too many games already. Not much a fan of 100% real weapons also, which means I don't mind it if stuff looks a tad different here and there.

The original Wasteland had mostly fictional variants of real-world weapons, like AK-97, VP91Z and M1989A1 instead of AK-47, VP70Z or M16, so I'd like them to keep it that way too.

Yup, and I hope the weapons will look different than their real world versions. It's something I liked about Fo1 as well- the weapon types developed different after a certain point.

I personally love the 50's style in Fallout, but if you do the same in every "postapo" game, it'd suck... This is why I pretty much agree with Ausir & his avatar ;)

And I am with Lexx about weapons, too. But I not only like the "weird" guns in FO1, but also the melee/unarmed weapons, both the use of such a "primitive" weapons like the spear (although it practically didn't make it past the first areas) and the advanced ones like the Ripper.

I just think it feels better when they used weapons that don't exist in our world or are under-used.

But about the weapons actually used in Wasteland, I don't really know a lot, except from some scattered details such as American and Soviet assault rifles using the same ammunition, if I remember correctly...

Edit: to add something really useful - I think they shouldn't use that 50's style anymore if they want to make a game with a setting that is "alien" to us, but at the same time can partially be a reading of our current reality. The retrofuturistic style used in Fallout was ok before but it fails to really "tell" us anything. In my humble opinion.

Back