Rumors and Speculation! (The Start of the Fallout 4 Hype)

TheKingofVault14

Fallout Fan For Life!
10 years ago around August 2012, rumors were spreading all over The Internet/Gaming News about Bethesda employees being spotted scouting the city of Boston, Massachusetts and were "allegedly" in contact with MIT to further their research on that specific area.
According to anonymous sources of those who live and work around the area that is.
So when word got out about that, people in the community started speculating on what this entails for the upcoming installment. As Fallout 4 was FINALLY confirmed(unofficially) to be in production!

For those who are wondering, here's some of the news articles reporting on these "rumors" going around at the time:

GameRevolution:
Lumii_20220817_170103010.jpg

Lumii_20220817_170225162.jpg

Lumii_20220817_170302551.jpg

Game Rant:
Lumii_20220817_170530289.jpg

Lumii_20220817_170655534.jpg

Lumii_20220817_170720821.jpg

IGN:
Lumii_20220817_170754211.jpg

Lumii_20220817_170807065.jpg

GameSpot:
Lumii_20220817_170832414.jpg

In conclusion, does anyone remember what it was like for you to hear about these rumors for the first time? Did you do believe it? Did you think that it was all baloney? What were your theories on what Fallout 4's story and setting was gonna be like?

For me, as I've said previously on how and when I got into the Fallout series. You could imagine how ecstatic I was hearing about this news, I remember going around seeing all the theories on what the story was going to be about. Especially when people were connecting the Fallout 3 Side Quest The Replicated Man to what the game's story could potentially be, and there were even discussions about the potentials of returning characters such as Doctor Madison Li. During the Broken Steel DLC, if you talk to certain characters(such as Alex Dargon) they'll mention Li going up north to The Commonwealth in pursuit to join a "great scientific community" :wink: that's rumored to be over there. And of course, this fueled the fires of speculation!
And you know looking back now, the theories that I saw people make about the game's story, were quite frankly a lot better than what we actually got in the end. :-)

We kind of knew it’ll be set in Boston, you don’t really put a seed like the android side quest in F3 unless you want it to grow in a later story.

The biggest one I remember was that you’ll be restricted to being a male only, which I think has a hint of truth to it considering the intro was voiced by the MP.

Yeah I remember hearing about this back then. I didn’t necessarily believe the reports were accurate, but I felt it made sense that they would set 4 in Boston, considering the Institute was pretty much the only original faction that wasn’t native to D.C. mentioned in 3.

What I didn’t believe were the leaks a year later saying the game would have a voiced protagonist that would read the “war never changes” monologue. I had too much faith in Bethesda back then to believe that…

Having faith in a company is like having faith in your country which means that you are giving too many random assholes credit for something they have nothing to do with.

Back