So...Bethesda's Closed Beta testing the Creation Kit.

AgentBJ09

Vault Dweller
And here's the second kicker: It won't come out until after Far Harbor is out.

So, yeah. They delayed the release of the Kit to make sure their paid-mods and sole expansion will have less competition from their modding-inclined users, although users should never be in the position of being THE people to turn to to make sub-par games better.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...d-Beta-Signups-for-the-Fallout-4-Creation-Kit

What I'm curious about is what that connecting to a server pop-up for Fallout 4 is going to mean once this thing no longer is in Closed Beta with, likely, an NDA attached to it.

And here's the second kicker: It won't come out until after Far Harbor is out.

So, yeah. They delayed the release of the Kit to make sure their paid-mods and sole expansion will have less competition from their modding-inclined users, although users should never be in the position of being THE people to turn to to make sub-par games better.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...d-Beta-Signups-for-the-Fallout-4-Creation-Kit

What I'm curious about is what that connecting to a server pop-up for Fallout 4 is going to mean once this thing no longer is in Closed Beta with, likely, an NDA attached to it.
They never did beta tests with their other kits before if I remember correctly. I'm calling it they're setting up a pathway to restricted paid mods that will have some sort of DRM. Then force everyone including PC gamers and attempt to take over Nexus' position(then fail miserably of course).

I've given BGS plenty of shit over the years, but there seems to be a fundamental shift in their business practices starting with that paid mod debacle. I realize horse armor, but that seems more like stupidity as opposed to just blatant "give me your fucking money" they seem to be running with now. I've said it before if they paywall mods for PC I hope those Bethtards can keep them a float because mods are the only reason I own any BGS game after Morrowind.

Bethesda has two roads ahead of them. They can either shit out the GECK untouched, or they can stick pointless DRM onto it and force the Nexus to stop carrying F4 mods. Then Bethesda will face even more backlash even from diehard fans. They'll lose sales, customer loyalty and any respect from the community.

In short, dear Bethesda, please stick some pointless DRM onto it and force the Nexus to close so you can shut down and give the Fallout IP to somebody more competent.

Bethesda has two roads ahead of them. They can either shit out the GECK untouched, or they can stick pointless DRM onto it and force the Nexus to stop carrying F4 mods. Then Bethesda will face even more backlash even from diehard fans. They'll lose sales, customer loyalty and any respect from the community.

In short, dear Bethesda, please stick some pointless DRM onto it and force the Nexus to close so you can shut down and give the Fallout IP to somebody more competent.

Nexus won't close that easily. They've got hundreds of game mods hosted there.

Otherwise, adding server connections to a single-player game is eyebrow-raising enough; let's hope someone leaks something for us normal folks to read over once this beta starts up.

Well shit there goes my prediction about the kit coming out April 26th. The beta testing they also did with the paid modding, they picked certain mod authors, gave them the low down on the paid modding, and told them to shut their mouths till they say it's ok. From what I remember they were given 2 weeks to make a mod for the paid modding fiasco. However this does give them some more time to perfect their modding platform of Bethesda.net which from what I can tell, is a total fuck up.

Looking at the thread on Bethesda.net about signing up for this I believe they will all be handpicked and those mod authors will probably be more of the high profile ones like those from the last go around. The website still looks like shit though.

So Todd told sweet little lies once again eh? http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/23/11...-planned-for-pc-around-april-consoles-a-month

Borrowing this from @JO'Geran :

907.jpg

There was an article where Pete Hines said they're going to do something related to paid mods again:
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/bethesda-plans-revisit-skyrim-paid-mods-after-fallout-4-459131

Here is a gem: ""Our belief is, 'We made the game, we made the game you're making a thing for.' So just like anything else, there is some kind of involvement that we're going to have in that," he said."

And another: ""I think that we feel like there is a case to be made that people who spend a lot of time working on mods ought to be able to have a way of monetizing what they're doing.”"

Let's be clear to the naive people who actually believe paid mods are about modders making money for their work. It is about the company getting a percentage and monetizing mods for profit, any money that modders make is totally secondary.

So I would not be surprised at all if they either go back to paid mods or some form of DRM system for mods or some paywall for mods or whatever.

The thing is that Bethesda is wanting to rake in all the profit that mods on consoles will bring, it is just starting and they really pushed Microsoft to allow for modding on the XBox because console players will flood them with money if they make the mods being paid somehow.

Bethesda games on console were always criticised after the "hype" run out because on PC, gamers could mod their games to be awesome while console players would be scratching their nether areas feeling jealous and left out. Now imagine when console players can pay and get mods! Super profit! I bet Bethesda now doesn't even care if they lose the PC consumers at all, consoles will have mods, console players will pay anything and be happy for it and not even understand they are being ripped off because they will finally feel like they are part of "The Master Race" :lmao: (this is what I think but typed as a joke >_> ).

I wouldn't even be surprised if some day in the future Bethesda announces they will stop making computer games and focus only on consoles :deal:, because I bet they could cover the money they make selling the computer version of a game easily just from profits from paid console mods and with the added bonus of not having all the costs of converting the game for computers.

You'd be surprised what a well-timed C&D can do.

Oh, I've seen what they can do, but like with the Streets of Rage fan game, the Internet never forgets and spreads word like wildfire, as well as file access.

If Bethesda did do something that overreaching, not only would it cost them the goodwill of their fanbase, though maybe not the hardcore believers like MrMattyPlays, it would encourage people to find ways around the DRM system. Just look at Denuvo, the "piracy killer." It'll get cracked one day. StarForce was after over a year's time.

EDIT:

They never did beta tests with their other kits before if I remember correctly. I'm calling it they're setting up a pathway to restricted paid mods that will have some sort of DRM. Then force everyone including PC gamers and attempt to take over Nexus' position(then fail miserably of course).

You're right. They never have. I still remember getting the Morrowind Creation Kit with the actual game and spending a few hours messing around with it when I stopped playing my first session.

As for the DRM thing, I would've wagered that was the cost of putting the mods on consoles, if not for how it suddenly applies to the PC version too; the XBOX One and PS4 both have hardware and software DRM that ensures their respective disks play on their machines.

Hopefully we'll find out how to block that server access in the near future.

Last edited:
I have a few friends already testing the GECK and when I asked for some information they couldn't say much because of the NDA :deal:.

The way i see it, Bethesda is trying to become really greedy now and wanting to have paid mods fit right next to their huge some of money that they already made with releasing fallout 4. Profiting off of others work, This greed is illustrated by the fact they delayed the geck infavor or using the time to release pathetic and shallow DLC that should have been either in the base game or just simply implemented in by mods. Had the GECK been out already, we would have already had these mods for free. What this all screams really is another way to get easy money out of the consumer.

You seem to dislike this company, TransgenderVaultDweller, as i have noticed.
I give you credit, that Automatron and Wasteland Workshop were heavily inspired by RobCo Certified and other good crafting addon mods, but, even most basic functions like settlements in Fallout 4 were also inspired by stuff talented people leave on Nexus. So in a way, Bethesda credited the modders.
Unlike Rockstar, who don't mention them, ignores them and even shot down new multiplayer mod called GTAV by issuing cease-and-desist against developers and banning everyone on their Social Club (deleting all the games they bought from Rockstar legitimately) who came in touch with the project, even their Reddit OP and webmaster.
Also, modder in GTA:Online community is a curse word. Moreover, R* has also promised a Single Player DLC somewhere in April 2014, but since then, not a word was lost about it. As if GTA:Online is only that ever existed.
And they shovel more income than Bethesda's DLC by selling Cash Cards, i can say it for sure - yet the amount of content in their "free" DLCs has decreased over time since.

Excuse me for offtopic.

If Bethesda releases a worthy DLC, i wouldn't mind paying for it, but it's not mandatory for me. Same with donations for good mods on Nexus.
Maybe i have some pink glasses on, but there is more scummier companies than Beth and i would even pay money for G.E.C.K. - but if the majority of mods would demand the purchased G.E.C.K. to work, i would call it a dick move.

You seem to dislike this company, TransgenderVaultDweller, as i have noticed.
I give you credit, that Automatron and Wasteland Workshop were heavily inspired by RobCo Certified and other good crafting addon mods, but, even most basic functions like settlements in Fallout 4 were also inspired by stuff talented people leave on Nexus. So in a way, Bethesda credited the modders.
Unlike Rockstar, who don't mention them, ignores them and even shot down new multiplayer mod called GTAV by issuing cease-and-desist against developers and banning everyone on their Social Club (deleting all the games they bought from Rockstar legitimately) who came in touch with the project, even their Reddit OP and webmaster.
Also, modder in GTA:Online community is a curse word. Moreover, R* has also promised a Single Player DLC somewhere in April 2014, but since then, not a word was lost about it. As if GTA:Online is only that ever existed.
And they shovel more income than Bethesda's DLC by selling Cash Cards, i can say it for sure - yet the amount of content in their "free" DLCs has decreased over time since.

Excuse me for offtopic.

If Bethesda releases a worthy DLC, i wouldn't mind paying for it, but it's not mandatory for me. Same with donations for good mods on Nexus.
Maybe i have some pink glasses on, but there is more scummier companies than Beth and i would even pay money for G.E.C.K. - but if the majority of mods would demand the purchased G.E.C.K. to work, i would call it a dick move.

What Rockstar does doesn't really matter in this instance. If what you said is true about them, then class action lawsuits would be thrown at them for pretty much stealing their money and banning them from their services prior to a full refund too registered games that were purchased by the account holder.

This mentality you share in my opinion is all way too in common with that of which a lot of video game fanboys like to use as an excuse for shitty and unethical practices. Phrases like "Hey don't buy it" or "Who cares?" Sets a precedent that lets other devs know that it is okay to stomp on the consumer and that we will give them extra money for free. Instead let us call them out when they fuck up so that when they fuck up they can be corrected and avoid situations like this from happening again. You do want these companies to continue to be your favorite, yes?

Well shit there goes my prediction about the kit coming out April 26th. The beta testing they also did with the paid modding, they picked certain mod authors, gave them the low down on the paid modding, and told them to shut their mouths till they say it's ok. From what I remember they were given 2 weeks to make a mod for the paid modding fiasco. However this does give them some more time to perfect their modding platform of Bethesda.net which from what I can tell, is a total fuck up.

Looking at the thread on Bethesda.net about signing up for this I believe they will all be handpicked and those mod authors will probably be more of the high profile ones like those from the last go around. The website still looks like shit though.
Seems like the fiasco might of just been a test to test the waters to see what kind of reaction they would get then making adjustments to their plan in an attempt to "perfect" it. Seems like they're biting off more than they can chew, it'll hopefully be the breaking point as to whether they'll stop the bullshit or just keep trying but knowing them "Bethesda, Bethesda never learns" it seems. Seems like all this money has given Todd and company a big enough hardon to become greedy as hell leading to the current situation.

Hopefully we'll find out how to block that server access in the near future.
I doubt it but if modders get ambitious enough it might happen, it's not like this game is worth all the trouble though. Not worth any of my time atleast.

The way i see it, Bethesda is trying to become really greedy now and wanting to have paid mods fit right next to their huge some of money that they already made with releasing fallout 4. Profiting off of others work, This greed is illustrated by the fact they delayed the geck infavor or using the time to release pathetic and shallow DLC that should have been either in the base game or just simply implemented in by mods. Had the GECK been out already, we would have already had these mods for free. What this all screams really is another way to get easy money out of the consumer.
Well they're taking advantage of their "loyal" paying customers by pulling a fast one on them at the last minute. Where we see bullshit they see profit.

Back